Midland micromobile GMRS radios-is the 40 watt version worth it?

• HTML tutorial

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes the government does like its gratuity. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pay our taxes on all the programs we support and not send money to programs we don’t.
many years ago my father in law was complaining about taxes. "Why should I be paying taxes for something that doesn't benefit me" says he. I must back track a bit. My father-in-law has a 38ft ketch. Back in the early 90s they took a five year tour. Their first trip was up and around the Gaspe' into the St Lawrence, onto the great lakes, then back down the Erie canal unto the Hudson then home to the Chesapeak. The next leg they went down to Florida, across the canal and on to New Orleans. On the way back they took a lot of the inter-coastal waterway network. I asked him about tolls for the locks, the draw bridges and the use of the inter-coastal water way network. Hmmmmm. NO TOLLS. I asked him to please stop complaining about taxes in my home as I never have, nor ever will use the inter-coastal waterway network, nor will I ever use any canals or locks, or have a drawbridge open for me. Yet my hard earned tax dollars are used for your pleasure?? That was 20 years ago, he has never complained about taxes to me again.

Cousin Eddie

Rank 0

Contributor I

North East, PA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Rosenbloom
Has anyone heard anything new on the Midland 50 Watt GMRS? I was about to buy the 40 watt but saw a Midland reply referencing it. I stopped the buy and started looking into it. All I could get out of Midland was "It's coming soon!" but nothing else. I came across this forum and found some threads that referenced it close to a year ago. One of the reasons I liked what I heard was the new radio is supposed to have NOAA channels where the 40 watt doesn't.

On a side note, what do you recommend for handheld GMRS?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not going through any testing, nor will my wife be. I don't care that HAM is better, I do not have the time to study for an exam for something that shouldn't exist in the first place...
I read in your other post how busy you are. I hope the time spent at the remote cabin is a good way to unwind.

Just to touch a little bit on why there are HAM licenses and such...whether most people realize it or not, civilian radio communication of course stems from military radio experiments and communication. It is well documented that foreign agents often send, or receive directives or information in coded radio communication.

The idea is that if you have to test and register, it is less likely you will partake in the type of radio transmission that could be perceived as clandestine or that would interfere with whatever the heck it is the feds might be up to.

I think that's the general reasoning, anyway.

Reactions: Road

dpsmedic

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

NorCal
Member #

It is well documented that foreign agents often send, or receive directives or information in coded radio communication.

The idea is that if you have to test and register, it is less likely you will partake in the type of radio transmission that could be perceived as clandestine or that would interfere with whatever the heck it is the feds might be up to.
If you want to go down the rabbit hole of “numbers stations” for those foreign intelligence service clandestine radio stations: Number Stations › Priyom.org

Advocate III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
Has anyone heard anything new on the Midland 50 Watt GMRS? I was about to buy the 40 watt but saw a Midland reply referencing it. I stopped the buy and started looking into it. All I could get out of Midland was "It's coming soon!" but nothing else. I came across this forum and found some threads that referenced it close to a year ago. One of the reasons I liked what I heard was the new radio is supposed to have NOAA channels where the 40 watt doesn't.

On a side note, what do you recommend for handheld GMRS?
Midland replied to a comment of mine on a FB add regarding the lack of split tone monitoring. They also said something is coming soon for that, just a few weeks ago. Who knows when, so depends when you need it.

Check out the YouTube channel for "notarubicon". He's been reviewing a lot of GMRS HTs recently. Wouxon looks really interesting.

Cousin Eddie

Rank 0

Contributor I

North East, PA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Rosenbloom
Yeah, I reached out to them via email and social media. The only response I got was "Coming soon!" and "sometime in 2021". I have to wonder if they are impacted by the microprocessor shortage as well. The MTX400 is not available on their site and they have a sign up to be notified when it's available again. While other radios are "sold out".