Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Haha, so one more in the customs... Just had a letter from the customs office in the mail ... I need to pick it up at their office

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoCampers #4771

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Same here, so, it doesnt work anymore like that. So, @Michael and @Corrie think we should find another way to get things over here without doubling the price of each shipment.
I heard from the post office that since a year the duties and taxes department is very keen about packages from the US.
So, I guess, we need a new plan.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Ok, so I think it's ok, overseas shopping means tax and customs...
But I heard that there are still some ways... Ask the Chinese guys...
I'm gonna talk to the customs guys and see if we can do something because it's what we call a "Verein" so it's not paid, it's a donation ...

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Dont think so, but, I think we would have to have a person who makes the badges and will put on the numbers.
Or the badges are coming over in one bigger badge, like a 100 and here we find someone who would put on there the numbers.
Same for all other items.
But some stuff are really USA local build, so that will be a problem

Reactions: MazeVX

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Uh oh. It looks like something has changed as of the new year? We have been sending items successfully up until then. @GeoCamper3730, please write an email to info@overlandbound.com with a summary of the issue if you don't mind.

Can we find a better way to do this? Overland Bound cannot ship anything illegally obviously, otherwise we are liable, but is there a way to improve this? I don't have answers...yet.

M

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

@Michael ,

Big problem, it is since a year, that it started to be way more annoying. That is how politics goes.
And we do understand that OB cant send stuff illegal.
Thing is, for instance the last badge I received, I had to go to the Post Office to collect my item.
As it was under 150€ taxes was free, BUT, I had to pay taxes on the costs of the shipment. 21% which was about 4,96 euro. PLUS...... 13 euro's of handlings fee.
So, a item that is around 12 dollars, will cost here around 27 euro's. To a person in the US it will be around 15 dollars. and 27 euros is about 33 dollars.
Which means, it doubles in price.
With a t-shirt, cap, or whatever under 150€ that is ok, as long as it isnt big. Because as the shipment costs will increase, so will that part of the taxes.
But, if I buy something from 149€ and it is small, the handling fee and taxes on the shipment costs are acceptable. But on some stickers and badges it is so incredible unfair and out of line.
That is something OB cant change. So, If there would be someone in Europe who would have a badge of like 100 badges, stickers and such, the fee and costs would be almost the same, and it could be shipped in Europe for a fraction of the costs as when it comes from the States.

Example. I was trying to buy a fully winch mount for the Jeep. Non excisting in Europe. So, I found that man in the US and he said, it would cost 386$ for the mount plus 180$ shipping cost.
I had to pay for that part, over 600€ which is 747$. So that winch mount would cost me double in price as it is in the US.
Same with the new fire pit, or bigger items. We just cant afford them here.

We are very willing to buy these things you are offering, but the wonderful lightbar of 1100$ would cost around 1331 dollars with taxes, think the shipment would be around 200$ due the size. but would cost us 242$ plus 13€ handling fee, so the whole thing would cost us over 1500$.
The difference is smaller as with the stickers and badges, but still, around 400$ more.
That is just a lot of money.

So being an OB member here in Europe is quit expensive.

And that means, from that point of view, the Europe OB members are very dedicated to the cause.
And that is just from a financial point of view. Dont say a thing about other point of views, because I have no judgement about that.

But I will continue supporting in any way the OB cause, and I think some of the EU OB members as well. And maybe we can get a solution to this problem which is caused by politics and international tradecompanies.

Thank you Michael for all the effort you do put in this all.

Best regards to you and @Corrie

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael ,

Big problem, it is since a year, that it started to be way more annoying. That is how politics goes.
And we do understand that OB cant send stuff illegal.
Thing is, for instance the last badge I received, I had to go to the Post Office to collect my item.
As it was under 150€ taxes was free, BUT, I had to pay taxes on the costs of the shipment. 21% which was about 4,96 euro. PLUS...... 13 euro's of handlings fee.
So, a item that is around 12 dollars, will cost here around 27 euro's. To a person in the US it will be around 15 dollars. and 27 euros is about 33 dollars.
Which means, it doubles in price.
With a t-shirt, cap, or whatever under 150€ that is ok, as long as it isnt big. Because as the shipment costs will increase, so will that part of the taxes.
But, if I buy something from 149€ and it is small, the handling fee and taxes on the shipment costs are acceptable. But on some stickers and badges it is so incredible unfair and out of line.
That is something OB cant change. So, If there would be someone in Europe who would have a badge of like 100 badges, stickers and such, the fee and costs would be almost the same, and it could be shipped in Europe for a fraction of the costs as when it comes from the States.

Example. I was trying to buy a fully winch mount for the Jeep. Non excisting in Europe. So, I found that man in the US and he said, it would cost 386$ for the mount plus 180$ shipping cost.
I had to pay for that part, over 600€ which is 747$. So that winch mount would cost me double in price as it is in the US.
Same with the new fire pit, or bigger items. We just cant afford them here.

We are very willing to buy these things you are offering, but the wonderful lightbar of 1100$ would cost around 1331 dollars with taxes, think the shipment would be around 200$ due the size. but would cost us 242$ plus 13€ handling fee, so the whole thing would cost us over 1500$.
The difference is smaller as with the stickers and badges, but still, around 400$ more.
That is just a lot of money.

So being an OB member here in Europe is quit expensive.

And that means, from that point of view, the Europe OB members are very dedicated to the cause.
And that is just from a financial point of view. Dont say a thing about other point of views, because I have no judgement about that.

But I will continue supporting in any way the OB cause, and I think some of the EU OB members as well. And maybe we can get a solution to this problem which is caused by politics and international tradecompanies.

Thank you Michael for all the effort you do put in this all.

Best regards to you and @Corrie
Perhaps we ship them over in bulk. The same is true for Australia. It get s very expensive. Then we have to solve management and fulfillment services on the other end. One misplaced badge, or wrong number creates a huge headache, plus just the process of distribution is an issue.

Hmmmm.

GeoCampers #4771

Mid Europe Local Expert, France, Belgium
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Werm, Belgium
First Name
Toon
Last Name
Dams
Member #

@Michael, welcome in the wonderfull world of international trading. [emoji6] I van send you the details but is is exact as Robert said. The cost dubbles the price of the small items and put +/- 50% extra on the bigger ones. It was a bit of dissapointment but not to you order OB. And not expected it to since i have bought thing from US before, and small items shiped as gift always got through without extra cost.
But i believe that something should be done aboud it.
Maybe we could find a Company who van make the badges, stickers, sweatshirts,... And than ship them europ localy. And to avoid nr mixups and to have controle over it from you HQ it should be possible that you still place the orders bit the schipping is done here by a dedicated member.
This way you keep control, and we have the items for a fair price.

Sent from my MotoG3 using OB Talk mobile app

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

@Michael A lot of the time, it depends on the wording and value stated on the shipping label. Just needs a play on words??
Sorry Nick,

Not true,

I worked for nine years at FEDEX and know my way a bit around customs. But this has nothing to do with the value, but with the value of the shipping costs.
Over that piece you pay taxes when over 150€. Plus a handlings fee. That makes the little, cheaper items very expensive.
The only possibility is shipping these stickers and such as a letter, as long as it will fit a mailbox in Europe it should be ok.
But with a tracking number then customs will know that it is merchandise.

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

That's what the Chinese guys do, with their well known grey bags.
For the postal service they are letters. Situation is a bit different in germany but in general Robert describe it perfectly.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

So I guess the only way around customs is to send badges and stickers and smaller stuff without a tracking number in unmarked letters and hope it doesn't get lost?

Or find a middle man in China so we don't have to pay so much xD I was lucky that I ordered my badge and things before the changes were made.

I fear it all has to do with politics and all indeed. Guess some trade agreement was broken between USA and Europe and now everything gets taxed way more over here.

Valentin Schneider

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Ockenfels, Deutschland
First Name
Valentin
Last Name
Schneider
Member #

hey i got a quick question, i can#t find the Mid Europe sticker in the shop at the moment, will it come again? Would be nice, i try to collect all the regions i've been to so far. Thanks a lot for the answers :D

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ask Corrie or Michael, as the sticker is there but probarly not standard in the shop.