Michael Heizer's Land Art pice City is complete.

• HTML tutorial

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Personally, I think it's a waste of land and money.

It's not art, to ME.

It's landscaping. And not very good landscaping.

The upkeep will cost taxpayers, somehow.

No offense intended, simply my opinion.
Not to worry, I have no investment in this piece. I also am used to the the "its not art" thing. If I was going to be offended by someones opinion online Id just not go online, lol.

As for my "judgement" (better term might be critique) I withhold most of that until I personally have time with an artwork. There are numerous "land art" pieces that have been a staple. I found it interesting that this article describes it as the most important. My own personal opinion of the artists past works is actually quite harsh. I didnt post this for people to ooh and awe, more just informational. Unlike the Spiral Jetty though, this one seems to not be open to the public (at least not without reservations) which places it more in the realm of "lightening Field."

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here is a good article on it which I think is good cause it brings up a lot of my thoughts on the subject, though not as critical of Heizer as I am.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I'd like to see it in person. One cannot rely on photos, reproductions, etc to determine the power and effect of an art piece. At $150 a visit, I'll have to feel a bit richer than I do now.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'd like to see it in person. One cannot rely on photos, reproductions, etc to determine the power and effect of an art piece. At $150 a visit, I'll have to feel a bit richer than I do now.
Obviously im making a false binary here, but id rather spend the money and time going to see “Lightening Field” then this. But having seen many of Heizers work I’ve never been a fan of his. But thats me.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not sure how anyone can conclude that tax dollars will somehow be used for the upkeep of this series of modern sculpture. That’s like saying tax dollars will somehow be used to keep up the architectural art of Frank LLoyd Wright, or the craftsman furniture & homes built by Stickley or Roycroft, all of which were pushawed in there day. I’m grateful for the post. This is now on my to do list.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Not art to me. Just like the painted stacks of rocks outside of Las Vegas. You can see similar things to this on highway 95 in Hawthorne, Nevada, the military ammunition storage bunkers look very similar to the city structures. And as for tax dollars, here’s a quote from the original article:
In recent years, politicians have made attempts to conserve Cityand the land on which it’s set. In 2015, Senator Harry Reid and then President Barack Obama signed a proclamation that protected the 700,000 acres, making City a part of the Basin and Range National Monument.
Looks like tax dollars to me.

Reactions: 19mystic96

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not art to me. Just like the painted stacks of rocks outside of Las Vegas. You can see similar things to this on highway 95 in Hawthorne, Nevada, the military ammunition storage bunkers look very similar to the city structures. And as for tax dollars, here’s a quote from the original article:
In recent years, politicians have made attempts to conserve Cityand the land on which it’s set. In 2015, Senator Harry Reid and then President Barack Obama signed a proclamation that protected the 700,000 acres, making City a part of the Basin and Range National Monument.
Looks like tax dollars to me.
Yea, I read that. The BLM oversees public lands anyway, regardless of whether they are national monuments. Bears Ears & Grand Staircase are examples. The setting aside of public lands to protect said land from mineral extraction is important. If it does cost a 10th of a mil or so, which it does not, I’d be pleased with my tax dollars being used for something overlanders might enjoy. It may “look” like tax dollars being spent, but it is not. A few years back my father-in-law was in the habit of continually bitching about taxes. He has a 40ft Ketch, he and his wife not only sailed a five year tour, they also used a lot of canals traversing the Great Lakes, and the inter coastal water ways of the US. I asked if there were tolls to pay to use the canals, or to open up a drawbridge. No says he, no tolls at all. I responded with, “so my tax dollars are being used for your pleasure? “ Thankfully He hasn’t complained to me about taxes for the past 15 years or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Total_Bummer

Brian Forrester

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Temple City, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Forrester
Member #

I worked for the geotechnical firm that was involved with levitated mass at LACMA. Was involved with that rock a few years before the public ever knew about it. When I worked on the foundation system for the new academy museum a few years later the levitated Mass installation was pretty much empty all the time. People either weren't interested or just didn't get it. It was a bit out of the way on the campus though.

The intention with the reservation system is so you can feel the emptiness or something. I think it's the void it leaves in you that is part of his intention, I think you have to see his stuff the day your dog died to really get it. He put a massive amount of effort into this one, had his own batch plant and a very limited number of people were allowed to be there (not that people were lined up for the work anyhow). I'm fairly certain he was forced into opening this up to the public. I'll probably make the trip eventually, but not at $150 a head.

Reactions: kunstmilch and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I worked for the geotechnical firm that was involved with levitated mass at LACMA. Was involved with that rock a few years before the public ever knew about it. When I worked on the foundation system for the new academy museum a few years later the levitated Mass installation was pretty much empty all the time. People either weren't interested or just didn't get it. It was a bit out of the way on the campus though.

The intention with the reservation system is so you can feel the emptiness or something. I think it's the void it leaves in you that is part of his intention, I think you have to see his stuff the day your dog died to really get it. He put a massive amount of effort into this one, had his own batch plant and a very limited number of people were allowed to be there (not that people were lined up for the work anyhow). I'm fairly certain he was forced into opening this up to the public. I'll probably make the trip eventually, but not at $150 a head.
Yes, it is true that I do not understand, nor enjoy, most ultra modern art, yet giant sculptures in the desert somehow intrigues me. If they stand as long as the pyramids people of the future will be in awe of his work.