Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Firstly apologies folks I am well aware I have been MIA from OB and the forums in recent months but sadly life and health have been getting in the way and throwing a spanner in the works.

With that in mind I have recently had surgery (finally) and I'm hopefully on the mend so that's one issue resolved. Work and life is a continual struggle as we all know and winter months, September to end of March are generally my busiest months with work. Its when all the Calmac, Orkney and Pentland Ferries come into dry dock for maintenance periods and we are finally reaching a conclusion of the first of the infamous Fergusons Calmac Ferry builds so the light at the end of the tunnel shines brighter.

I and we have been managing the odd trip away over the winter months but not as many as we would have hoped and the terrible weather, high winds and rain here in Scotland have made trips away a challenge so instead some upgrades have been completed on the van including switching the 110AH AGM Aux battery for 2 x 100AH LifePo4 Batteries which also involved a redesign of much of the aux electrical system and wiring. (New base System Design attached for those interested although it did evolve as these tend to do). Servicing and maintenance of the van was completed and in early Feb the dreaded MOT was passed with flying colours and no issues. Wilson is currently off the road as I have an electrical gremlin to resolve prior to the MOT. The dipped beam headlights have a mind of their own meaning sometimes I have them and sometimes I don't. In Scotland in Winter with shorter days this is a bit of a problem. I suspect it is the wiring loom behind the heater box as I have a known issue there historically that I have never done a proper fix on so when the weather improves a little more that is the next job.

So with all that said as we head into Spring and the end of the Dry Dock silly season hopefully life can return to normality such that it is and the weather will improve meaning we can all start heading out on longer and more trips.

Our big trip this year will be a 3 week trip to the Alps (Current Plan). We are in the early planning stages but the time off is already confirmed. September I think will be the last Adventure Overland Show so plan will be to head down for that and hopefully meet up with many other members. The end of the Adventure Overland Show means the end the last mass visitor Overland dedicated show in the UK. Whilst many smaller shows have been popping up mostly around the Midlands and South England the size of the shows do not come close to matching the Adventure Overland Show. Hopefully a new sponsor will step in to create a new show that all the community can get behind and without the add on Tie Dye Hippy Vanlife crowd. We need a show for Overlanders !

I have added a few photos from the few trips we have done this winter and look forward to catching up with all the OB community throughout the year.

Safe Travels

Balmoral Estate.jpg
Balmoral Estate Heading to Loch Muick

Linn of Quioch Cairngorm National Park.jpg
Linn of Quoich Cairngorm National Park

Loch Muick Cairngorms National Park.jpg
Loch Muick - Cairngorm National Park

Loch Muick Camp.jpg
Loch Muick Overnight Camp

Lochnagar Balmoral Estate.jpg
Infamous Lochnagar in the Cairngorm National Park

Meeting up with Our Friends Gusto Overland.jpg
Meeting Up with Our Friends Gusto Overland (Last time we camped together was 2018 in Kazahkstan

Red Deer Morning Alarm Clock.jpg
This was my early morning alarm calling bellowing for the ladies

Snow.jpg
Snow Fun

Electrical Design.JPG
Electrical Design

Last edited:

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Firstly apologies folks I am well aware I have been MIA from OB and the forums in recent months but sadly life and health have been getting in the way and throwing a spanner in the works.

With that in mind I have recently had surgery (finally) and I'm hopefully on the mend so that's one issue resolved. Work and life is a continual struggle as we all know and winter months, September to end of March are generally my busiest months with work. Its when all the Calmac, Orkney and Pentland Ferries come into dry dock for maintenance periods and we are finally reaching a conclusion of the first of the infamous Fergusons Calmac Ferry builds so the light at the end of the tunnel shines brighter.

I and we have been managing the odd trip away over the winter months but not as many as we would have hoped and the terrible weather, high winds and rain here in Scotland have made trips away a challenge so instead some upgrades have been completed on the van including switching the 110AH AGM Aux battery for 2 x 100AH LifePo4 Batteries which also involved a redesign of much of the aux electrical system and wiring. (New base System Design attached for those interested although it did evolve as these tend to do). Servicing and maintenance of the van was completed and in early Feb the dreaded MOT was passed with flying colours and no issues. Wilson is currently off the road as I have an electrical gremlin to resolve prior to the MOT. The dipped beam headlights have a mind of their own meaning sometimes I have them and sometimes I don't. In Scotland in Winter with shorter days this is a bit of a problem. I suspect it is the wiring loom behind the heater box as I have a known issue there historically that I have never done a proper fix on so when the weather improves a little more that is the next job.

So with all that said as we head into Spring and the end of the Dry Dock silly season hopefully life can return to normality such that it is and the weather will improve meaning we can all start heading out on longer and more trips.

Our big trip this year will be a 3 week trip to the Alps (Current Plan). We are in the early planning stages but the time off is already confirmed. September I think will be the last Adventure Overland Show so plan will be to head down for that and hopefully meet up with many other members. The end of the Adventure Overland Show means the end the last mass visitor Overland dedicated show in the UK. Whilst many smaller shows have been popping up mostly around the Midlands and South England the size of the shows do not come close to matching the Adventure Overland Show. Hopefully a new sponsor will step in to create a new show that all the community can get behind and without the add on Tie Dye Hippy Vanlife crowd. We need a show for Overlanders !

I have added a few photos from the few trips we have done this winter and look forward to catching up with all the OB community throughout the year.

Safe Travels

View attachment 274337
Balmoral Estate Heading to Loch Muick

View attachment 274338
Linn of Quoich Cairngorm National Park

View attachment 274339
Loch Muick - Cairngorm National Park

View attachment 274340
Loch Muick Overnight Camp

View attachment 274341
Infamous Lochnagar in the Cairngorm National Park

View attachment 274342
Meeting Up with Our Friends Gusto Overland (Last time we camped together was 2018 in Kazahkstan

View attachment 274343
This was my early morning alarm calling bellowing for the ladies

View attachment 274344
Snow Fun
Great to hear you are on the mend! Hopefully catch up in person somewhere this year!

Was hoping to check out the wiring diagram but it wouldn’t show… maybe an app or iOS thing. Will check from a PC later but mention it just in case there was an issue.

Thanks for all you do representing us for OB. Happy travels when you can!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Great to hear you are on the mend! Hopefully catch up in person somewhere this year!

Was hoping to check out the wiring diagram but it wouldn’t show… maybe an app or iOS thing. Will check from a PC later but mention it just in case there was an issue.

Thanks for all you do representing us for OB. Happy travels when you can!
Be good to see you both.

Its a PDF but I have changed it to a jpg

Reactions: Tim