Mexico to Canada; All Dirt Roads

• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

This was several years ago, in an attempt to follow Willy Worthy's Canada to Mexico trip, with Chris Collard (now Editor, Overland Journal) and I, one jeep and his dog, Radar. We did it. It's a hugely long story that Chris has had published all over the world, starting with Four-Wheeler Magazine in 2010.

I hope it's ok to post up a link to this magazine as I can't possibly get this four part story posted here.

Suffice it to say I learned a lot about overlanding. My main take-aways were:

1. Absolutely know your gear and get the right gear, no matter the cost, to do the job you're about to do.

2. You cannot plan too much; or go over your lists too much; and even then, plan for "Murphy."

3. If you travel with the right mates, you'll make a mate for life.

4. Journals, GPS locators, current maps, fancy gizmo's will still never be enough to warn you of all possibitiles that can go wrong or hit you in the face.

So with that said, it took about three weeks. We ventured off pavement a few times, kept track of the distance, and tried to back track on the same pavement to get back to dirt so we could maintain our brag of "all dirt roads."

In the first day we were surrounded by angry border guards, lectured by a Park Ranger, swarmed by bees and chased by a rattle snake. So to myself I said, so this is modern day overlanding, huh? Ha ha.

Chris and I (with Radar) made it to Reno, NV where I had to jump out to attend a big event, and let his wife have passenger seat. She finished the trip to Canada with him.

The scenery and map reading were phenomenal. Glamis dunes (Algodones) is where we started, and traveled through Johnson Valley, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Owens Valley, and points beyond. We were serenated by wild burros, tons of bird species, night owls and things that go bump in the night. Yea, I was in a tent on the ground. Chris got the overlanding roof top tent with Radar.

Choosing the right music to listen to was always a fun time for us. Surfer music going across the whoopie do's of Johnson Valley; Abba on long desert roads; and of course, 4 Lonely Days in this Death Valley Haze (our own version).

Here is the link to the story in Four-wheeler: http://www.fourwheeler.com/events/129-1009-border-to-border-tour-part-1/

Now for a few pics, all of them credited to Chris Collard, Adventure Architects.

Attachments