Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I love the G wagon, though they see less dirt than even Land Rovers. I often see a cool one at work, take a look at a photo I posted:

Very cool! Even though they are marketed as total posh expensive SUVs, you gotta hand it to Mercedes for keeping them true to their heritage for so many years. Though, I wouldn't want an AMG version, way too sporty and blingy. I would love an older G500!

Reactions: Crispy

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Mercedes G Class Squared
Would love one of these, perhaps not in that color!! Had a friend with one, seriously tough off road credentials and used by the military in a few countries.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ahhh the uber sweet gelandewagen. So posh and expensive yet still tough enough for military use. Gotta love it.

Trophy wife mall crawler that will never see dirt.
Good one. I call them grocery getting pavement queens.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I have seen a couple off road and they are impressive.... when you get rid of the stupid wheels and weird exhaust tips out the side. :)
The AMG Gs have the tips and ridiculous horsepower, stock ones don't. Still, the fact that MB can adapt these for the NAS market, while LR just kills the Defender, is a credit to MB. Then they announce they're bringing the G 4x4 Squared w/ portals to the NAS market, just makes me more upset w/ LR...ill get a G some day, but it sure won't be new...

Reactions: Crispy

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

The AMG Gs have the tips and ridiculous horsepower, stock ones don't. Still, the fact that MB can adapt these for the NAS market, while LR just kills the Defender, is a credit to MB. Then they announce they're bringing the G 4x4 Squared w/ portals to the NAS market, just makes me more upset w/ LR...ill get a G some day, but it sure won't be new...
I'm more sad than anyone to see the Defender go but unfortunately I feel LR were caught between a rock and a hard place. They had not turned a profit from them for years and they no longer comply with european safety standards which means their already limited market is further impaired. They could not continue the defender without losing what people buy them for which is their resistance to change, their simplicity and character. The G Wagon on the other hand is a much more modern vehicle, more in line with the 70 series land cruisers which while still being tough and looking classic carry a more sustainable production line and are in line with modern safety standards.
LR are bringing out their Defender replacement next year so we will see what that is like. I don't think is will win over the series/defender faithful but will bring LR back in the fold of having a more purpose built and rugged off road vehicle.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

...I feel LR were caught between a rock and a hard place. They had not turned a profit from them for years and they no longer comply with european safety standards which means their already limited market is further impaired...LR are bringing out their Defender replacement next year so we will see what that is like. I don't think is will win over the series/defender faithful but will bring LR back in the fold of having a more purpose built and rugged off road vehicle.
I used to believe that, but that was when MB did not import the G-wagen into the US. I've almost forgotten about the 2-sided nature to the LR moneypit. Corporate ownership used to bleed red, as BMW and Ford got what they wanted, then passed the balance sheet hot potato to Tata. It'll be interesting to see how long Tata holds it, though Gerry M and crew may have turned LR around with the new RRS, Evoque, & Disco. But the sad news for the old Series/Defender fans is that the Defeneder replacement will need sales volume, so they're aiming squarely at the Chelsea tractor crowd. GM claims that it's not going to be like the DC100, but we all know how fixated he is on the new LR design language...

At any rate, kudos to MB for being able to adapt and sell the G in the NAS market, but as you mentioned, MB had deeper pockets to do that development whilst LR was always in the red and passed from one corporate parent to another, though they may have turned a corner now...