Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

It's almost time. I'm taking one of my closest friends, who although he has traveled globally, he is a tried and true urban environment dweller, and my 7 year old son. This is my first trip to the UP and I have researched routes heavily to try and stay off grid as much as seem reasonable. Going to be using the F150's GPS to get me to the bridge over to the UP, and then a mix of Gaia and old fashion paper for the rest.

Home Base: Cleveland
Overland Start/end point: St Ignace, MI / Mackinac Bridge
Goals: First trip to Upper Peninsula, camp, fish and stay offroad, go waterfall hunting
Equipment: 2016 F150 SCrew 4x4 (leveled), dispersed ground camping, SeaEagle 370 kayak, fishing equipment, etc

The route is planned just to provide an idea of where to go. The real route is more along the lines of back out of any route that seems like it is going to get us stuck, and explore anything that looks like a neat track to check out.

First camp is planned somewhere around Brevoort
Next camp is hopefully somewhere northwest of newberry in the Lake Superior State Forest
Then spend a few days at Pictured Rocks.
Then wander along the lakeshore till we find our way home.

I'll update with pictures probably after the trip as I expect to have little/no phone coverage for most of the trip.

Reactions: aearles

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
One of my favorite campsites we've every stayed at was at the end of 587 just West of Munising on the lake shore facing Grand Island, there are shelves with shallow water and crystal clear dropoffs to where the water instantly becomes 50' deep. I can't find the exact location and the google satellite imagery is pretty weak for that area, but it might be worth looking into if you'll be around there.

My wife is trying to find some pictures, if she's successful I'll post them.

Correction, wife found the photos with the location, the correct coordinates are:
46°28'44.43"N 86°46'2.95"W

Last edited:
Reactions: El Gigante Jake