Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Greenwood IN
Member #

4011 said:
Hey guys,
New on the Forums My rig is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I put a 4 inch lift kit on it with some 33’s. It’s still a work in progress like all builds :grinning:.

upgrades for the future:
Looking to get some Rock Sliders.
Roof rack.
rear tire Carrier.
maybe 6.5 inch lift with 35’s
Nice! I use 2001 xj for my travels, the boxy little brother if you will. Not planning on doing many upgrades as I am already finding the size limitations of these rigs. I know I could build it to do anything with the aftermarket support but its 1400 miles to Telluride CO for us and when the trips start getting that ambitious I think some newer tech and larger cargo area will be needed.
Still pains me though as I do LOVE my Cherokees.
cheers!

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Here's what I had:

'04 Land Rover Discovery Series II...

This is what I have now:

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door...

I'm on the look-out for an 80 Series Land Cruiser that I can slowly turn into a vehicle to take us to out-of-the-way places in similar comfort as the Discovery, with more off-road ability getting closer to that of the Jeep. It's a trade off but with longer trips to new places, highway and bi-way comfort starts to trump harder off-road ability. If I can find a nice LC, I will build it towards that end.

Reactions: 9Mike2

vda9

Rank 0

Contributor I

I dont know what kind of tyres you driving, but, my tyres I had on the T3 were General Grabbers AT2. And they are very good. Especially on track and on roads.

And with just a higher tyre you will have gained some extra ground clearance.

Love to see more often here.

Greetings from Robert

Thanks Robert, i actually just picked up those exact tires. but feel i will need a bit of a lift so they do not rub.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ok, check if the way your suspencion is. if it is the same way as the syncro, and has the same springs, I know a adress to get raisers for you. I bought a inch raisers there, but they have higher ones for syncro's.

If they dont ship to the states, Iam sure i can collect them for you and send them to you.

Greetings from Robert

vda9

Rank 0

Contributor I

4087 said:
Ok, check if the way your suspencion is. if it is the same way as the syncro, and has the same springs, I know a adress to get raisers for you. I bought a inch raisers there, but they have higher ones for syncro’s.

If they dont ship to the states, Iam sure i can collect them for you and send them to you.

Greetings from Robert
from what i see it is stock suspension with lengthened struts. From what i have read the b3/4 passat wagons/VR springs would lift it, But a kit would be nice.

Also as great as this Members rides section is, perhaps creating a whole section for where ppl can create build threads and update what they do to their rigs would be better. Just a suggestion :blush:

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks for the advice. I have a set of 35" BFG's that I was running for a few months but I had a blow out and I went back to my stockers. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a set of General Grabbers or Cooper Maxx. I'm not sure which. The BFG's were very good but loud and easily tore apart.

I haven't decided on any Lift yet although I do have a 3" body lift in a box. Waiting for a final decision and the time. The benefit would be increased Approach and departure Angles. I'm not a "monster truck" kind of guy so I'd like to shake it out a bit more and see what I need.

I'm going to Colorado for a month in September for Elk so I should have some big work/decisions made by then.

I have a Fiberglass Tonneau cover on it now and I'm working on basket. I'm thinking about a skeleton frame rack.
4074 said:
Lost track of how many of these trucks my family has had, just my 2 cents… I would make sure the tires are at least a good AT, maybe the rancho shocks upgrade if you don’t already have and a camper shell and I think you would find yourself more capable then you think. I currently have a 01 Cherokee with 29inch grabber AT/2’s and the monroe coilover spring upgrade waiting to be installed as I tow a boat as well and needed a bit more payload ability for those 14 year old leaf springs. I intend to upgrade the rig to a 100 series land cruiser or something of that ilk in the next few years as gear and a larger family necessitate a larger vehicle. At this point I focus my dollars on non-vehicle specific gear such as camp kitchen, awning, ect. that can be used with any future rig. I bought the jeep last summer for kayak trips and what I referred to as a camp wagon until a month later I learned there was a term for what we already did, like you had I known what would follow after learning about vehicle dependent adventure travel I might have made a different choice….or maybe not.
cheers!

D

davidangusw

Wow, I did not have a chance to take a look at this forum and today and so many cool new rigs!!! Welcome, everyone!!!

Oh, that G4 Disco above - very nice and that '89 Land Cruiser = love!

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

4083 said:

I love th G4 what happened to that?
I had it in the shop getting a head gasket installed. Someone saw it in there and wanted to purchase it from me. I threw out a ridiculous number and the fellow said he'd take it!

I was kind of surprised, but happily took his money and looked at getting a Rubicon since I was doing more weekend off-roading than travel / overland trips at the time. I still miss that thing. I think once some 'green' gets in your blood...

E

expeditionnorth

its so nice to see a diversity of rigs here

my simple GMC yukon

with the help of my son we will soon have the XRC 12K winch installed along with some more LED's on the roof facing off to the sides for camp illumination etc

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @mike,

Welcome to the site. Yup - any vehicle can travel overland, so long as it gets you there! I like your GMC!

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
For what's its worth @Deeker I really love my LC for just that reason - great off road capability, and a bit more creature comfort on the long drives!

M