• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have a 06 TJ unlimited that has been built over quite a few years and is geared more for rock crawling but I have driven it in and out of the US ( while living just north of Toronto) and recently took a trip with 4WDrive magazine for their Camp Crawl segment in n August where we had to be self sustaining and driver some of the hardest trails in Ontario as well as put on some decent highway miles.
I also have a 2019 compass trailhawk that I plan to do some light trails and camping with as well. It get go a little further than the TJ but has half the space lol
20200905_082733.jpg20201010_112645.jpg

Grassfed_kettlebells

Rank I

Traveler I

Columbus ohio
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Toth
Member #

Hey everyone pretty new around here and to overlanding. Not so new to off road driving. Here is my 2015 4runner limited she is sitting on an icon stage 5 suspension with icon compression wheels with 285/75/17 ko2s. She will be sporting an arb base rack with a cvt Rainer rtt. The tent is in the garage waiting for the rack. Just ordered the ultra privy from the store. Thanks for stopping by, this truck makes me so happy! Happy new year all.

Attachments

flynpa

Rank 0

Contributor I

Texas, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5FOX
Hello all. I am quite new to this overlanding thing. I have made a couple to short local trips to test out the rig and gear. 99 Jeep Cherokee XJ with 23Zero Breezeway 56 RTT and Ironman4x4 2m awning. I live in deep south Texas, so all descent overlanding is 12+ hours away.

Attachments

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Russellville, Arkansas 72802, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

I’m new here but been at this for a lot of years, my main rig is a 2001 100 series cruiser, the mods are pretty basic with a 3” OME lift on 33’s , ARB bull bar with warn 10K winch, Slee dual swing out rear bumper white knuckle sliders and a front runner roof rack. It’s been a ultra reliable, comfortable and capable rig and at 250K miles seems to be just getting broken in

Attachments

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Russellville, Arkansas 72802, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

My other rig is a 96 jeep XJ, I have it mainly for the harder local trails in which it does very well. It’s equipped with a 5 1/2” rubicon express lift , protofab front bumper with a 9500 lb superwinch , the rear axle is a 8.8 ford with a OX locker, front axle is a Dana 30 with a super 30 chrome moly kit and ARB locker. It’s running 4.88 diff gears , manual 5 speed tranny and a 241 rubicon transfer case, 35” Interco’s this has proven to be a great combo

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

'03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4.7 HO. Lots done to it, you can read the whole story in my thread, but the short version is:
  • Rebuilt 4.7HO (problem areas addressed)
  • Larger all-AL radiator and e-fan conversion
  • JK Rubicon Recon (thicker front axle tubes and Cs) D44s - custom trussed and setup for WJ, 4.88s and E-lockers, RCVs, etc.
  • 242HD (rebuilt, new chain/bearings/seals/shift fork pads/etc. and six-pinion planetary)
  • Trail Forged 4-link front/rear long-arm with full-belly skid (fully custom front track bar)
  • TF full frame stiffeners paired with Kevin's Off Road sliders welded in for additional stiffening
  • RadFlo 3-tube bypasses front and rear
  • RadFlo hydraulic bump stops front and rear
  • RadFlo front coil-overs (rear is still separate coil)
  • AntiRock front and rear sways
  • Tank tuck
  • HK Offroad front hidden winch mount and core support/skid
  • Xero Fab Works Bumper/tire carrier
  • Custom 1-ton steering with hydraulic assist
  • ~35" Patagonias on some cheapo ProComp wheels (nicer wheels w/ beadlocks might be my next mod)
All of the fab work credit goes to Xero Fab Works out of Shaver Lake, CA. Unfortunately Xero lost his home in the fires last fall and has closed up shop because of that.

IMG-0004.JPG
IMG-0011.JPG
IMG-0020.JPG
IMG-0003.JPG
IMG-0006.JPG
IMG-0007.JPG
IMG-0008.JPG

I know this isn't a "wheeling" forum, and those are just wheeling pics. But those were a shake-down run after the latest round of mods. Found the fenders need cut more, which has been completed, and the exhaust manifolds need changed... which I have the parts for but just really don't feel like doing. ;)

New camping pics will come soon, but here's a few from actually Overlanding in its previous "incarnation" on a basic 4" front long arm/rear stock arm setup:
WJCamp4.jpg
WJCamp3.jpg
WJCamp2.jpg
WJCamp1.jpg

-TJ

Noctas

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ladera Ranch, CA, USA
First Name
MARK
Last Name
BAHU
Hi All, I'm new to overlanding, but I gotta say I love it. I gave up my Adventure bike because we recently got some young foster kids who like to be out and about. So I made a deal with my wife, if I give up the bike, lets make the Tundra into an overlander. She agreed and now as a family we are starting our journey into overlanding.

Our first trip last weekend with the Tundra fully set up was a blast. Trail difficulty was easy, but it was a good shakedown of the equipment and love what the beast can do. Looking for like minded people to explore new locations!

Here are some pics from the trip at Painted Canyon:IMG_1306.jpeg
IMG_1308.jpeg

And a pic of the kiddos watching Shrek on the side of the cliff wall! Pretty epic for the kiddos.

IMG_1336.jpeg

Last edited:

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

My shorty tundra
I nearly bought an identical truck with the big V8 back around '09 when Toyota was basically giving them away, but walked because I didn't think they were giving me a fair price on my trade-in. Should have just pulled the trigger because it was only going to be about $21,500 out the door. Every time I see one I kick myself. Enjoy!

Reactions: Hanzo

Hanzo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Frankfort, MI, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Vandervest
Member #

My shorty tundra
I nearly bought an identical truck with the big V8 back around '09 when Toyota was basically giving them away, but walked because I didn't think they were giving me a fair price on my trade-in. Should have just pulled the trigger because it was only going to be about $21,500 out the door. Every time I see one I kick myself. Enjoy!
The big v8 in a little truck is a ton of fun, man I’d love to have a new one for 21k!

Reactions: Temudjin