First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My 93' 80 series.
285-85 16 duratracs, TJM front 3" coils, OME 863 rears, Fox 2.0 IFP shocks, locked 3x, New paint 3H4, ARB front bumper, Slee rear bumper (on order), Engo 10k winch with synthetic cable (rebuilt once so far), HID spots, 46" LED bar, 31m DHP battery, Midland portable CB, White Knuckle Sliders, chopped up Baja expo rack, Tepui Autana, Tepui awning, JDM hatch ladder, limb risers, rear camp light, ARB 50qt fridge with homemade slide, Pioneer stereo, lots of other mods and fixes throughout.

View attachment 1989 View attachment 1984View attachment 1987View attachment 1990
I dig your truck a lot, looks like you need Heavies in the back huh?

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Hello Iubootgater,

It's great to meet you! As Michael states, this is a very Land Cruiser centric site, but there are a few of us with other rigs. In fact, Michael and his amazing Overland Bound rig is an honorary member of the Northern CA Land Rover club. :-)

With that said, I have a 2013 Land Rover LR4 (also known as a Discovery 4). I actually went back and forth between a 2013 Land Rover and a 2013 Land Cruiser, but ultimately chose the Land Rover. Don't get me wrong, I love Land Cruisers, but there is just something not-so-special about the newer models. I love the FJ80s and earlier models, but really was not happy with the 2013 model. I do appreciate the heritage and reliability, but I found the interior a bit cheap and overall drive pretty boring for vehicle that sells for just over $80,000. I also wanted a vehicle for off light to moderate off roading and overland travel. In test driving the 2013 Land Cruiser I found it very difficult and complicated to switch to low range and utilize the terrain response modes. Everything is so darn computerized and there are so many computer screens and gadgets.

That left me with the Land Rover, and I had one in 2000 that was a pretty big piece of crap. I was not interested in the LR3 (Discovery 3) models, but once the LR4 came out in late 2009 I took another look. I was a bit at odds when Tata Motors took over Land Rover/Jaguar, but I think ultimately it has been hugely beneficial to the brand in regards to reliability, quality of engineering, and bringing them more into the mainstream market (the latter is a bit annoying to me). I am a purist when it comes to Land Cruisers, Jeeps, Land Rovers, etc., so for me I want something that is functional and not as blingy. Don't get me wrong, my LR4 has a lovely interior, very comfortable, some nice luxury features, but it's still pretty simple overall. Still, the electrical stuff and air-ride suspension scare me at times! ;-)

There are a few newer model Land Rovers in our club and a few older model - also a few awesome Defenders, which are incredible. I would say that the newer Land Rovers are overall more reliable than the older models, especially post 2010. I've actually had two LR4s and both have been rock solid, awesome off road, and just great vehicles. If you do look at older Land Rover models, it helps a LOT to be a bit mechanically inclined. Most of the guys in our Land Rover club with older rovers tend to be very good at tinkering and fixing them on their own.

I currently have almost 13,000 miles on my 2013 LR4. I actually ordered it because I wanted the heavy duty package (has the locking differentials). A lot of my miles is from trips, as I tend to ride my bike to work. I will say that the LR4 is a tougher build because there are just not a lot of options out there and most come from places like Australia. With that said, I have a long list of modifications and updates. These are highly capable vehicles, but they are pretty expensive, and still may have some reliability issues, though things are a lot better.

I can definitely answer other questions or anything about rovers, as I know they sometimes get a bad reputation and known as mostly mall crawlers, but they do have some brilliant engineering and capability. Then again, the newer Land Cruisers are also basically mall crawler soccer mom trucks and just as expensive.

Here are a few recent photos - working on the rear tire swing away in the new year.....

Nice LR...I have a Discovery 1. I did get to drive an LR3 at a Land Rover sponsored event...they are very nice! Many experts and off road driving instructors I know consider the LR3 to be the best Discovery ever built for offroad. I have to say...I agree! Again, nice ride...

Reactions: NorthStar96

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Finally got a decent snow fall so I could get out for some poser pics. Went to Wildcat Den with the wife and daughter to do some hiking. Figured I might as well get some winter poser pics with the rig.

07' Wrangler

OB emblem on the rear next to the left tail light.

NorCal Explorer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weaverville, CA
First Name
M
Last Name
K
Member #

2001 xterra in Coffee Creek.jpg IMG_0864.jpg IMG_0868.jpg My 2001 SE Xterra; a work in progress at Coffee Creek, CA. Need new tires and lots of improvements before next winter if I want to keep traveling highway 3 in the winter.

Reactions: 9Mike2

stough77

Rank II

Advocate II

Here's my new to me -2001 Land Cruiser. Mild changes are underway illustrated in my build thread. I love and admire just about anything with wheels, but am partial to Toyotas for the simple fact that I'm hard on them and they've never let me down. This is my 5th Toyota and my 4th truck - I've always dreamed of owning a Land Cruiser and found the perfect one which was very clean. I'm not a huge crawler so the IFS wasn't a huge issue, but soon enough I'll have and fj60 or fj80 in the garage too!
20160221_071002.jpg

Last edited:

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Here's my new to me -2001 Land Cruiser. Mild changes are underway illustrated in my build thread. I love and admire just about anything with wheels, but am partial to Toyotas for the simple fact that I'm hard on them and they've never let me down. This is my 5th Toyota and my 4th truck - I've always dreamed of owning a Land Cruiser and found the perfect one which was very clean. I'm not a huge crawler so the IFS wasn't a huge issue, but soon enough I'll have and fj60 or fj80 in the garage too!
View attachment 2212
I really like that clean cruiser. Just waiting to be modified

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TacoMEDIC

Rank 0

Traveler I

2016 Tacoma TRD Sport. King Shocks extended travel, remote reservoir coilovers and rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Icon progressive leaf pack, BFG KO2s 285/70R17, Method Race Wheels, full size spare, CMC, Softopper, Husky floorliners, Pelfrey Built sliders (ordered), Pelfrey Built rear bumper (ordered), lots to come.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

2016 Tacoma TRD Sport. King Shocks extended travel, remote reservoir coilovers and rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, Icon progressive leaf pack, BFG KO2s 285/70R17, Method Race Wheels, full size spare, CMC, Softopper, Husky floorliners, Pelfrey Built sliders (ordered), Pelfrey Built rear bumper (ordered), lots to come.
View attachment 2298
View attachment 2299
absolutely beautiful!

Reactions: TacoMEDIC
T

TheBarefootFamily

These are from our Valentine's Day trip, that ended very bad, how bad you ask? 9 hrs, S&R, $300 bad, all because I was unprepared for a 3-4 hr. beautiful scenic drive, [that went horribly wrong] wouldn't end up with both hubs breaking and our front axle taking a hit because of it.

The canyon, Roddy parked, weather and camp fire pics are from the day of humbleness, the driving pics are from the next days recovery. Sufficed it to say, we will not try and have a family high country trip, unless we are loaded for bear, which is our natural state of travel.

The weather for the trip was beautiful until the 4 wheel drive gremlins decided to pay us a visit. it did get better though.

The next day was wonderfully sunny and enjoyable, and after some minor repairs you can see I was able to drive out with minimal help from a contracted recovery vehicle, which turned out to be the biggest thing I have ever seen go off road in a non-commercial use.

After getting home I installed an 1980's NPR delivery oil pan for more cooling 1.5 qt more oil will not be a bad thing, also put in new E-brake cable, center console and front parking lens to replace the items that got damaged in our little adventure, the girls were strong and wonderful, even after walking out of a 60 sq.mi. area OHV park [of which we were roughly 13 miles into] and they wanted to do it again, my wife and I have learned that no matter what, We will pack our gear, and now realize that we lost a little piece of mind that day, knowing we made the one big mistake we had painstakingly avoided for so many years... Being unprepared...

Lessons are learned through the experiences of fear and hardship...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy and ShawnR