Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

How is the app retrieving member location information for the map in the app? What I mean is, when I look at the member map for my area it shows lots of members and what appears to be fairly specific locations, yet most of these members don’t appear to be active on OB, so I’m sure none of them have downloaded the app and have their GPS services set to on for it, so is it just pulling the info from their online profile, i.e. town and state they may have listed when they registered years ago, or is it using some sort of other tracking info I’m not aware of?

Mostly just wondering how specific this app will get with member location, and if you leave GPS services on for this app all the time is it going to display your current location to other members anytime they pull up the app? Sorry if this was covered somewhere, but just curious.

Reactions: ThunderwingLC

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
How is the app retrieving member location information for the map in the app? What I mean is, when I look at the member map for my area it shows lots of members and what appears to be fairly specific locations, yet most of these members don’t appear to be active on OB, so I’m sure none of them have downloaded the app and have their GPS services set to on for it, so is it just pulling the info from their online profile, i.e. town and state they may have listed when they registered years ago, or is it using some sort of other tracking info I’m not aware of?

Mostly just wondering how specific this app will get with member location, and if you leave GPS services on for this app all the time is it going to display your current location to other members anytime they pull up the app? Sorry if this was covered somewhere, but just curious.
Hi there! Since location is a privacy and security issue, the app will never share your current location with others unless you tell it to, and there are only a few features that (will) do that. Map check in is one example, but even then you set the pin location and can offset it from your current location.

The location on the member map is the location in your profile. In my case, “Dublin, CA” but not specific. It’s close enough to let others know I’m in the area, but not track down my house.

You will see the app knows where you are like many map apps, but that’s only for you.

M

Reactions: ThunderwingLC

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Hi there! Since location is a privacy and security issue, the app will never share your current location with others unless you tell it to, and there are only a few features that (will) do that. Map check in is one example, but even then you set the pin location and can offset it from your current location.

The location on the member map is the location in your profile. In my case, “Dublin, CA” but not specific. It’s close enough to let others know I’m in the area, but not track down my house.

You will see the app knows where you are like many map apps, but that’s only for you.

M
awesome thanks for answering my question! I am having fun playing with the app. Thanks for the work put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.