• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Pricing differs wildly between regions, so let's not discuss price too much.

For mixed and mud, what are your thoughts on the Maxxis RAZR AT 811? Looks like a moderately aggressive tread pattern, and is 3PMS rated. Specs look like it would be fine for light towing as well (5k truck, 5k trailer), which is my expected use.

Compared to Nitto Ridge Grappler, the Maxxis RAZR is significantly less aggressive. For the uninformed, these are both considered hybrid tires; balance between A/T and M/T. Anybody with experience with these or similar, thoughts?

Attachments

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I've never ran these but have ran multiple sets of the Razr MT and have been impressed. Maxxis makes a good product and has been in the off road game for a long time. I have run a few different hybrid tire and would say I liked the Nitto the least, could have just been the set I had or the pickup they were on ('18 F250 Gasser) but they seemed to never stay in balance and rode rough. I buy all the tires for our farm so with 50+ pickups I'm always search for the next great thing. For hybrid tires like this I've ran the Toyo R/T, the Nitto, Cooper ST Maxx and a Les Schwab Back Country they all have pros and cons to them. The cooper is probably the most aggressive but still handles towing well on my current pickup ('21 Ram 3500 Diesel) having some cupping issues though but probably needs an alignment. The Toyo R/T was good all around and not too loud for being somewhat aggressive. The Back Country has been ok but hasn't held up well to rock chipping. I've run the Goodyear DuraTrac on my '15 Ram 3500 Diesel and they have been good but if you're gonna take it on the trails they are known to have a lighter sidewall and not be all that strong.

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MrWilsonWJ Thanks, this is the sort of info I'm looking for.

An acquaintance of mine has used Falken Wildpeaks and Cooper Discoverers, and I've had excellent service from Goodyear tires in the past. Haven't heard much about Maxxis, but have a fat set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on my toy. Nitto tends toward extremely aggressive off-road tires such that road performance is severely compromised; I love my Nittos but keeping them balanced is impossible and they wear horribly if I don't get an alignment every like 3 months. Would I buy them again? Probably.

These Maxxis RAZR's seem to hold generally good reviews for wet and dry road use, above-average for mud and excellent for sand. Looking at the tread pattern, this is what I would expect as well. The lateral grooves are slightly concerning though, for standing water. Seems like it begs for a hydroplane.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Maxxis makes fantastic products, and are big in the competitive off road racing. You'll see Maxxis' everywhere if you go to a Baja Rally or King of the Hammers. I only run Maxxis tires on my mountain bikes and had a pair of Razr ATs on my previous rig (LX570). The MTs were relatively quiet for mud terrains and worked as intended-- great in mud, not so good in snow! I wanted to get a pair of the Razr MTs for my Ram 3500, but I wasn't able to find the desired size that would fit my 18" wheels, so went with the Ridge Grapplers instead. The Razr MTs and ATs are very popular with the Aussie overland and wheeling crowds-- I figure if it's good enough for them, that usually means it's a quality product.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@OTG_one Again, this is what I wanted to hear! To judge by price alone, Maxxis seems to be generally proud of its products. I did know that it originated with bike tires and later moved into the automotive field, but I wasn't aware that its products were used widely in competition. Up with Toyo, Goodyear, Firestone, and the other big guys, I take it!

Definitely set on these then. Now, to wait for pay day...

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Maxxis makes fantastic products, and are big in the competitive off road racing. You'll see Maxxis' everywhere if you go to a Baja Rally or King of the Hammers. I only run Maxxis tires on my mountain bikes and had a pair of Razr ATs on my previous rig (LX570). The MTs were relatively quiet for mud terrains and worked as intended-- great in mud, not so good in snow! I wanted to get a pair of the Razr MTs for my Ram 3500, but I wasn't able to find the desired size that would fit my 18" wheels, so went with the Ridge Grapplers instead. The Razr MTs and ATs are very popular with the Aussie overland and wheeling crowds-- I figure if it's good enough for them, that usually means it's a quality product.
You are spot on with the road noise for the RAZR MT's! That's one of the first things I noticed when I put them on my Jeep. I've ran them on all sorts of terrain and they've always worked great. I've put them on a few F250 farm trucks and got surprisingly good mileage out of them as well.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ Thanks, this is the sort of info I'm looking for.

An acquaintance of mine has used Falken Wildpeaks and Cooper Discoverers, and I've had excellent service from Goodyear tires in the past. Haven't heard much about Maxxis, but have a fat set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on my toy. Nitto tends toward extremely aggressive off-road tires such that road performance is severely compromised; I love my Nittos but keeping them balanced is impossible and they wear horribly if I don't get an alignment every like 3 months. Would I buy them again? Probably.

These Maxxis RAZR's seem to hold generally good reviews for wet and dry road use, above-average for mud and excellent for sand. Looking at the tread pattern, this is what I would expect as well. The lateral grooves are slightly concerning though, for standing water. Seems like it begs for a hydroplane.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!
From my experience with A/T tires I will choose the Cooper over the Falken Wildpeaks every time. I've run a lot of both and the Cooper out performs and out lasts the Falken in our applications. From what I've seen once you are down to 50-60% tread life on the Falken they can't get traction in anything loose and they like to hydroplane. Also the Cooper holds up to rock chipping better, being farm pickups we run a lot of gravel roads so this is a big factor in my tire choices. I'm sure I'm about to get a bunch of hate for saying the Falken isn't the best tire ever as it seems like the overland crowd really loves them but that's just my experience with them. Another good A/T tire is the Toyo Open Country A/T II and A/T III, I've had good luck with those and they handle off road well.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MrWilsonWJ I looked at Toyo Open Country tires, but they're not the kind of tread I'm looking for. Not that I don't want them - the pattern is awesome.

Last edited: