Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have none, just a winch, shovel, straps, shackles, snatch block, and mud tires. Been in powdery sand plenty never needed a track just air down to atleast half and keep your momentum without spinning the tires. Ie feather the throttle don't step on it trying to get out like you do in mud, on most beaches the sand has no bottom as far as you dig is as far as you'll go, sand in desert areas normally has rock at some point digging in but don't count on it in soft stuff solid ground may be feet or yards beneath you.
If your stuck in sand the very first thing to try is rock your vehicle back and forth compacting the sand works better in wet beach sand than desert sand.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I've use ours twice for a jack point. A few times as a table. And once to cross a stream at camp on foot because the grass is aways greener as you stand on the bank and think you see a better fishing spot. It snowed in Texas last winter and shut most everthing down, so I used them again as walking planks to keep from fallin on my butt as I went out to get snow and ice to melt to flush the toilets.

Reactions: Desert Runner

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I use two of the copycat version. I figure at 1/10th the price they are almost disposable, even if I destroy them after one use.
I have also 2 of the knock off but looking to upgrade to MaxTrax. Because even if it's true that you can replace them in case they brake, keep in mind that:
  • If they brake when you actually need them, it's kind of useless
  • Even if they don't brake, they won't perform as good as the original. They won't bend as much, they won't have the same traction, and you might melt the "teeth" spinning the tires.
I got a cheap brand a couple of years ago that chipped the first time I used them but they are still usable. But as I mention, I will upgrade soon.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I chose two orange minis at first, mainly cause they’re easy to carry and enough to get you started. Got two more OD green full size for Xmas last year. I like the mix of colors. I usually keep them inside until I use them, then they go up on the rack. I like the green to be discreet and the mini in case I need to signal for emergency. They also fit up top on the large once used. Also use the mini to dig is a bit easier, they make a great “rake” in the sand/snow. Just that much easier to wield them around. My $.02. Don’t think you can go wrong either way, same for brands; just have a few and it helps that much more. Anything for less shoveling, lol!