Massachusetts Sound Off!

• HTML tutorial

GSP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millbury,MA
Member #

New member here.... Blackstone, MA. Would love to learn about some places to go and any events in New England. First a quick question though.... I have a Jeep Renegade (the new mini Jeep one, not the old school ones), am I crazy to even think about going to any of these events or is the mini Jeep capable enough?
Is your renegade a Trailhawk? Or “trail rated” If so, having a Cherokee Trailhawk myself I can tell you the lift, tires, terrain select and skid plates make it very capable stock. If it’s not those are a few things you might consider upgrading over time depending on what you want to do. I actually think the aftermarket is pretty decent for the renegade vs the Cherokee.

GSP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millbury,MA
Member #

Just joined, I am from Millbury, Ma just south of Worcester. I own a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2v6 w/tow package. I’ve done some light off roading with her on some local powerlines (not posted) but would very much like to join a club or expand access to better routes. Looking forward to many years of adventure hoping to get to know some other mass folks into off roading and overlanding!

Reactions: tntc

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

Just joined, I am from Millbury, Ma just south of Worcester. I own a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2v6 w/tow package. I’ve done some light off roading with her on some local powerlines (not posted) but would very much like to join a club or expand access to better routes. Looking forward to many years of adventure hoping to get to know some other mass folks into off roading and overlanding!
Welcome! I am in Paxton, glad to see more people joining from this area. If you do Facebook, New England Overland is also another good group to join, I think many people are on both.

Reactions: GSP

GSP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millbury,MA
Member #

Welcome! I am in Paxton, glad to see more people joining from this area. If you do Facebook, New England Overland is also another good group to join, I think many people are on both.
Thanks for the recommendation, I just joined there as well.

toastertown

Rank 0

Traveler I

Is your renegade a Trailhawk? Or “trail rated” If so, having a Cherokee Trailhawk myself I can tell you the lift, tires, terrain select and skid plates make it very capable stock. If it’s not those are a few things you might consider upgrading over time depending on what you want to do. I actually think the aftermarket is pretty decent for the renegade vs the Cherokee.
Unfortunately not a Trailhawk (hindsight is 20/20). I have the 75th Anniv. one (Latitude with a few extras). I know I can fairly easily add skid plates. Thinking that and maybe downsize the wheels to 16's to allow for a meatier tire. Those two would likely cover the most I'd be willing to push this (it's a daily driver and I only have so much time/money I'd be will to put into it).

GSP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millbury,MA
Member #

Unfortunately not a Trailhawk (hindsight is 20/20). I have the 75th Anniv. one (Latitude with a few extras). I know I can fairly easily add skid plates. Thinking that and maybe downsize the wheels to 16's to allow for a meatier tire. Those two would likely cover the most I'd be willing to push this (it's a daily driver and I only have so much time/money I'd be will to put into it).
I get a lot of comfort from having skid plates protecting the essentials underneath, the wheelbase on the renegade should make it quite nimble. Does it have low range and terrain select?

toastertown

Rank 0

Traveler I

I get a lot of comfort from having skid plates protecting the essentials underneath, the wheelbase on the renegade should make it quite nimble. Does it have low range and terrain select?
It has both, though the low range (electrical not mechanical) isn't quite as much as the Trailhawk. At least thats my limited understanding of it.

toastertown

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m sure you’ll be able to have a lot of fun with it, hit any trails yet?
I've hit some old logging trails/roads and some rural campground access paths in western RI. That's the type of terrain I'm after, explored around Boulder Canyon (CO) last spring (not in my Renegade), wish we had stuff like that here.

GSP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Millbury,MA
Member #

I've hit some old logging trails/roads and some rural campground access paths in western RI. That's the type of terrain I'm after, explored around Boulder Canyon (CO) last spring (not in my Renegade), wish we had stuff like that here.
Awesome! Sadly we’ve got slim pickings in here in MA. I’ve had a little luck finding powerlines that aren’t posted using google maps.

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Awesome! Sadly we’ve got slim pickings in here in MA. I’ve had a little luck finding powerlines that aren’t posted using google maps.
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here and doing OB stuff in general! SO many new members! I am down in Douglas, not too far. Nice to see all these new members....

Greetings from OB #0001!

Reactions: Cowboyupdan

Cowboyupdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Torrington, CT
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Vonrichthofen
Member #

Anyone going to the 4x4 races in munson this sunday? The hillclimb venue put in a nice dirt track and started racing there after Southwick shut down for a while

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app

F-Bobby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Watertown Mass
Member #

New guy here. Maybe we can breathe some life back into this thread/area. I'd love to meet up with some locals and check out their rides.