Dee
Last Name
Dumas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NNA
Service Branch
Army
Has anyone here done a trip the the Mark Twain National Forest? I’m looking at this park or maybe someplace in the Ozarks but don’t know much about these areas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
What time of year? You won’t to do either right now or for the next 60 days. It’ll be super hot and humid. Unless you have ac to sleep in

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Mark Twain NF is on my list of places to explore more for a piece on the CCC; FDR's Civilian Conservation Corps, that gave men hearty outdoor work building roads, trails, and buildings during the Great Depression. They also planted trees on over-harvested lands and planted hundreds of acres of pine in southern MO. The CCC is largely responsible for improving the area that quickly became Mark Twain NF for the public to enjoy.

If you go, keep an eye out for cool stone bridges, improved and well-built trails that look like they've been there for almost a century (and were used by early settlers before that), and for some of the NF admin bldgs that may have been erected by the CCC.

A lot of the coolest state and national park buildings we see, including many magnificent stone structures, were CCC built.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
Mark Twain NF is on my list of places to explore more for a piece on the CCC; FDR's Civilian Conservation Corps, that gave men hearty outdoor work building roads, trails, and buildings during the Great Depression. They also planted trees on over-harvested lands and planted hundreds of acres of pine in southern MO. The CCC is largely responsible for improving the area that quickly became Mark Twain NF for the public to enjoy.

If you go, keep an eye out for cool stone bridges, improved and well-built trails that look like they've been there for almost a century (and were used by early settlers before that), and for some of the NF admin bldgs that may have been erected by the CCC.

A lot of the coolest state and national park buildings we see, including many magnificent stone structures, were CCC built.
that is cool, I didn’t know that!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not to derail the thread, but in your state of Arkansas, just south of the Mark Twain NF, were 65 CCC camps, building everything from fire-watch towers to lodges and cabins, bridges, roads & trails, and so much more to "preserve and develop the natural resources of the nation."

In Missouri, there were 4,000 men working from 22 CCC camps:

SO much of the architectural style we're used to seeing in our state and national parks as far as buildings, bridges, and stonework in steps on trails, etc is due to the diligence and skill of the CCC.

They weren't confined to rural area and forests, either. Many American cities benefited greatly from CCC works.

The CCC (and PWA and WPA) left a lasting legacy and were an important part of American history. We are fortunate to be able to enjoy it still.

Reactions: Demon9513 and MOAK

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The CCC is responsible for a ton of work everywhere. Nearly everything about the National Forests was built on the backs and by the hands of CCC workers.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I have been exploring the Mark Twain for awhile now. I have just been using Gaia and “seeing what’s down this way”
While not as breathtaking as you see out west, it is very beautiful. Hercules Glades area is real nice. I hear the area north of Alton is the best but I have not been there yet.
And like @Downs said, ticks are an issue. The best thing for the Missouri ticks, hands down, is Colman skinsmart with IR3535. Amazing stuff....

Last edited:
Reactions: Downs and Road

Demon9513

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast I

Kentucky, USA
First Name
Dee
Last Name
Dumas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NNA
Service Branch
Army
These are all really cool facts and places to add to the list for sure. Thank you.
Not to derail the thread, but in your state of Arkansas, just south of the Mark Twain NF, were 65 CCC camps, building everything from fire-watch towers to lodges and cabins, bridges, roads & trails, and so much more to "preserve and develop the natural resources of the nation."

In Missouri, there were 4,000 men working from 22 CCC camps:

SO much of the architectural style we're used to seeing in our state and national parks as far as buildings, bridges, and stonework in steps on trails, etc is due to the diligence and skill of the CCC.

They weren't confined to rural area and forests, either. Many American cities benefited greatly from CCC works.

The CCC (and PWA and WPA) left a lasting legacy and were an important part of American history. We are fortunate to be able to enjoy it still.

Demon9513

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast I

Kentucky, USA
First Name
Dee
Last Name
Dumas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NNA
Service Branch
Army
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I like the idea of looking at all the CCC builds because I have visited many parks around the US build by the CCC before. I honestly forgot about them and may make that part of my search ideas in the future.

Reactions: Downs and Road