06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Was looking at the Garmin 7000 series marine gps.. also looking at marine radar.. and was wondering if they would work on land. What type of hard wired gps systems do you all use (besides google maps and Google earth). Any experience with radar.. Not radar detectors, but actual radar that spins around and gives you a signal... like the type of stuff you see in submarines.

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jimmy P

Dusty

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seymour TX
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Dunn
Member #

That sure would be nice to know if the marine gps works on land. I don't see why it wouldn't other then downloading maps. Being a wrangler driver anything water proof is a good idea.

Rum Runner

Reactions: Jimmy P

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I do high end marine installs. GPS is a GPS. The only difference is the software. I have a handheld Garmin that takes a micro SD chip. My one chip has all the nautical charts for the entire country on it, this is the Garmin Blue Charts. Chip 2 has all the topos for the Rock Mountains, chip 3 Smoky Mountains, Fl and the Everglades topos, Chip 4 all inland lakes on East Coast. Most Garmin fixed mount marine units have a SD slot for updates. For info if the unit you are interested in call the Garmin Tech line 1 800 800 1020. Radar would not be used for land use. Stick with Garmin. My unit is also waterproof and floats and interfaces with all my marine electronics on my boat.

Reactions: 06hyperion

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
With the fixed mount, are you able to transfer the units from truck to boat easily.. Like you're able to transfer a cb from truck to a base station? All you have to do with cb is unscrew the unit from the mount and unplug the unit and you could take it wherever.. Wondering if its the same concept. Thanks for your reply. Disappointed in not being able to use radar on land.. The more James Bondy the rig, the better in my opinion, lol.

I do high end marine installs. GPS is a GPS. The only difference is the software. I have a handheld Garmin that takes a micro SD chip. My one chip has all the nautical charts for the entire country on it, this is the Garmin Blue Charts. Chip 2 has all the topos for the Rock Mountains, chip 3 Smoky Mountains, Fl and the Everglades topos, Chip 4 all inland lakes on East Coast. Most Garmin fixed mount marine units have a SD slot for updates. For info if the unit you are interested in call the Garmin Tech line 1 800 800 1020. Radar would not be used for land use. Stick with Garmin. My unit is also waterproof and floats and interfaces with all my marine electronics on my boat.

Reactions: Flipper

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Also, where would i be able to find the chips?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Also, where would i be able to find the chips?
On their website, make sure you talk to a rep to make sure they will run in the unit. I would be looking at the 276CX if you need it bulletproof. You could be opening up a can of worms with the marine unit. Your going to drop some cash for the software, placement is going to be an issue being inside a metal cab unless you have a soft top .
You might want to consider a handheld the versatality outweighs the screen size.
I can use it 4 wheeling
I can use it in my boat
Hiking
4wheeling in my buddies truck
waterproof and floats
Altimeter and barometer
super easy to use
put it in your pocket and take it anywhere
You could buy a handheld with preloaded topo software for what your going to drop just for the software for a marine unit, and if you need a external antenna add another $150

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

With the fixed mount, are you able to transfer the units from truck to boat easily.. Like you're able to transfer a cb from truck to a base station? All you have to do with cb is unscrew the unit from the mount and unplug the unit and you could take it wherever.. Wondering if its the same concept. Thanks for your reply. Disappointed in not being able to use radar on land.. The more James Bondy the rig, the better in my opinion, lol.
Yes, you could buy an extra mount and power cord