Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Festerling
Member #

I run a Teraflex manual disconnect on my 06 (TJ) Wrangler. Works very well. Made a decent difference just going down dirt roads at sane speeds - allows the suspension to do its thing. My brother uses a manual disconnect on his JK, too.
I agree with Smileyshaun that it is best to disconnect and reconnect on a flat surface, otherwise you'll have binding that may or may not be reduced by rocking your vehicle side to side.

Reactions: Island Overlander

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I used JKS disconnects for years with no issue. Finally switched to an antirock sway bar in the front last year but that was only because I got a deal on a lightly used one from a friend.
Like others said, make sure to be on flat ground when disconnecting or reconnecting to make it easier ( I used to keep a large pry bar behind my seat because perfectly flat ground is hard to find). And if they are greasable make sure they stay greased. My JKS disconnects were on my Jeep for 100k km and I seld them when I was done with them in still berry good working condition, never replaced bushings just gave them a squirt of grease after a trip.

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

When I had my TJ I made my own out of big stainless clevises, a couple washers, and cotter pins. Just replaced the bolt with it. Wasn't grade 8 but I ran it for 2 years with no issues at all... That was a long time ago. YMMV

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I used JKS quick disconnects on my last 3 TJ’s without issue.
Pro tip when reconnecting- like stated above park on level ground and if they’re on a vehicle with a side hinged tailgate like the Jeeps, opening or closing the tailgate will “fine tune” the links when not quite level.
I’ve been doing that for the last 20 years and it works about 95% of the time.