Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Purchased a 2020 Ram for my full time travel and daily driver. While we usually rough it, back packing and tent camping, we’re ramping it up with a bed rack and RTT. Thinking about a drawer system for a kitchen. In the near future. The idea is a light agile yet full-size build, something ready at a moments notice, then get out and explore the Midwest.

Attachments

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Tent is on the truck. Yes they are heavy, but two of us just picked it up and slid it onto the rack. Within 30 minutes of it being dropped off it was installed.

Initial take on the tent. It’s huge. Fits on the truck perfectly. Plenty of room for the wife and puppy. It’s really solid on the rack. We think the mattress is going to work good for us. But we have a plan if we find out otherwise.

After a walk around it… the wife looks at me and says “we need a drawer system” so after the shakedown trip a decked system will be ordered.

Attachments

Last edited:

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Also ordered and installed a Bullet Point Mounting Solutions double arm mount. Say that three times fast!

I loved the Ram mount which was easy and reliable. However, in summer my phone was always overheating. So I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on this mount.

Attachments

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
After a a quick trip to Arizona and back to Oklahoma, made a few adjustments to the rack and tent. Then decided to drill and bolt the rack permanently in place instead of relying on the clamps alone. For some reason the middle legs keep loosening up. Also looking into bed stiffeners, hearing a creaking sound coming from the tailgate I’ve never heard before. It appears the bolt latch is rubbing. All in all after next week it should be dialed.

Attachments

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Ok we’ve spent around 30 nights in the tent so far. We’ve been in the mountains of Colorado, deserts of Moab, and camped out by lake here in Oklahoma where it decided to rain for three days. The mattress is a little thin for me, but not the wife, so I slide a backpacking blowup mattress under my side. It handled the rain perfectly, but we did have a lot of condensation when the temperature dropped. All in all we’re happy with the setup.
Im second guessing the drawer system and am looking into a whole bed truck slid instead. Still debating. I also need to look into an awning and how I would mount one and not interfere with the opening of the tent or have to shift the tent to the passenger side. That would kill my gas mileage.
About gas mileage I haven’t seen any ill effects. In fact, I’m getting better than when I had just the tool box in the bed.

Attachments

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I have a CargoGlide and love it. Makes it easy to get to the less used items towrd the cab side of the bed. I am currently making a drawer/top open cabinet system for my cargo glide to help a little with the storage and organization

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I have a CargoGlide and love it. Makes it easy to get to the less used items towrd the cab side of the bed. I am currently making a drawer/top open cabinet system for my cargo glide to help a little with the storage and organization
I think that’s the way I’m going to go. I’m getting to old to crawl to the bulkhead to get something.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I think that’s the way I’m going to go. I’m getting to old to crawl to the bulkhead to get something.
I am hoping to get it finished up this following weekend so ill take some pictures and you can see it. I do have a topper instead of tanneau so there is a little more room for me to use.

Reactions: BeardedOverland

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Finally got around to finding and installing some ditch lights as well. I've spent the last couple of days wiring and mounting. Little projects like this would have been a couple of hours, but I'm feeling the years. That and all my supplies were left a thousand miles away in Arizona. Slowly getting what I need to do these little projects here in Oklahoma. About the time I get everything here I need I'll be done, then will have to ship everything back!
8937421B-9EA8-41D5-AE6E-E9822D30A725.jpg

Reactions: Dave Snyder

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Wired in a KC Cyclone and a switch under the tent for some bed lighting. I liked the magnetic rechargeable lights, however after a couple of days they need to be recharged. This is only 5 watts but gives enough light to cook out grab something out of the ice chest. Also wired up a couple of USB ports and voltage meter into the tent. For one night stays we can charge our phones off the truck, and monitor the battery.

Attachments