• HTML tutorial

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

Howdy & thanks.
So being totally new to all this & not knowing enough to know...
I'm eyeballing an M1102 ('07 Silver Eagle Cargo Trailer, item: 1408374) on the GovPlant.com website, but I'm unsure of it being a right fit for my Jeep with a tow rating of 2,000 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 1,460 lbs. Doable? Undoable?

Any other trailer folks please chime in. Thx.
To much trailer for you and most others looking for an offroad trailer to build on. It looks like your driving a YJ from your profile pic but even if you were driving a JKU it would be too much. What you want to try to find is an M416 or M100 jeep trailers. These were made for military jeeps. All of the newer trailers are for Humvee's and larger 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks. These smaller vietnam and WW2 style trailers are getting harder and harder to find and usually need some work to make usable, replacing the floor is very common as it is the first thing to rot out. As off roading and over landing have become somewhat fashionable in the US these trailers are getting harder and harder to find. Searching craigslist is your best bet for locating one.

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

To much trailer for you and most others looking for an offroad trailer to build on. It looks like your driving a YJ from your profile pic but even if you were driving a JKU it would be too much. What you want to try to find is an M416 or M100 jeep trailers. These were made for military jeeps. All of the newer trailers are for Humvee's and larger 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks. These smaller vietnam and WW2 style trailers are getting harder and harder to find and usually need some work to make usable, replacing the floor is very common as it is the first thing to rot out. As off roading and over landing have become somewhat fashionable in the US these trailers are getting harder and harder to find. Searching craigslist is your best bet for locating one.
The Canadian military also made a small trailer based off of the M416 but was built beefer and in larger numbers. Some of them made it to the USA and would be a score if you found one for sale. But it would definitely sell for a premium.

Doc Rey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
Member #

Hey thanks for your very informative prompt reply. I kinda thought so. I'll keep looking.
My rig is a '04 TJ Rubicon (initially bought as a dinghy for the motorhome, but hopefully morphing into something else).

Reactions: Aussie571

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

I use to have the same jeep. Im my opinion your going to be very limited in trailer options for the jeep. It might be advantageous for you to look at some that are built out of aluminum. Just because you have a 2000 pound towing capacity doesn't mean you could or should tow that much weight off road. When I started out looking for a trailer to build on one of the things I was worried about was the trailer hindering me on tuff trails. A heavy trailer will act like a boat anchor on technical climbs and in mud. One thing I think people loose sight of when looking at building or buying an off road/overland/camper trailers is size and weight. I want a trailer to help me go farther not a trailer that will limit me more.

Enthusiast I

Hawaii
Hey thanks for your very informative prompt reply. I kinda thought so. I'll keep looking.
My rig is a '04 TJ Rubicon (initially bought as a dinghy for the motorhome, but hopefully morphing into something else).
There is a very nice looking Jeep style trailer on EBay right now and it is in California.
It is also unique. Maybe the only Danish military trailer in the US.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323253786068

Actually, it is in San Diego. Probably less than 2 hours from your location.

TOY350

Rank 0

Contributor I

Grants Pass, OR
First Name
Garett
Last Name
Winn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7FEC
Anyone have info on that wheel adapter? I can't find anyone to make it in my searches. Messaged Ohio-Grown without an answer yet. TIA

Anvil Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pedee, OR, USA
First Name
jason
Last Name
smith
Member #

Just started following your trailer build and wanted to add a bit of my build. I picked up a Bantam trailer three years ago and wanted to create my own off road capable trailer. Trailer was mostly stock with a first gen CVT on it. Tent is no longer made. Started fab work with wheel adapter, 33 x 12.5 tires and installation of side fenders with storage. Second project was cutting off front end. Rebuilt front end for tongue box, fuel and water storage and 16” longer tongue with max coupler. A couple more projects in the works will include solar, perimeter lights and a rear bumper with spare tire carrier._storage_emulated_0_DCIM_CVT-09 M100 Tent Trailer_20181015_182538.jpg_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_CVT-09 M100 Tent Trailer_20190628_191802.jpg_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_CVT-09 M100 Tent Trailer_20191113_114327.jpg

Rescue6

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Mike
Last Name
C
Nice build and inspiration for me. I just bought an old M100 that I will be replacing the floor in and rebuilding the previous owners attempt at a tailgate here in the next few weeks