M416 Help

• HTML tutorial

hooli_con

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,

I’ve been helping my brother work on his M416 trailer for nearly a year now. We are almost done with the exception of the wheels. We’ve come to a bottleneck as he wants to keep the hand brake and not replace the axle.

The problem is that we cannot find a wheel to clear the hub bore. The largest hub bore in that pattern is a steel Pro Comp wheel but it is too small by 1/8 of an inch or so.

Below is a picture of the hub. The options now are to run a regular street tire on the stock wheels or grind the lip down enough on the hub so that the new wheels clear.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm no machinist, @hooli_con - but I wouldn't attempt grinding the lip down evenly all the way around yourselves unless one of you are, or unless you get advice from a pro wheel and tire shop first that it won't hurt things.

You can also get adapters to go from the five bolt to six, or to just push the new wheel out a bit. A lot of guys do that anyway with the 1/4 ton military trailers.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

The ideal solution is to use the stock rims with 235-85-R16 AT's on them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-Courser-MXT-120Q-Tire-LT235-85R16/47406854

The adapters would be my second choice, plus they will push your wheel out further past your fenders. Some states the LEO's write tickets for tires past the fenders or I've seen & heard tickets were written because the fenders NOT covering the tire enough in length. My tires on my truck are border line of width wise & been pulled over in TX while traveling through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road