LT265/65R18/E KO2 vs 265/65R18/SL Wildpeaks - sidewall strenght?

• HTML tutorial

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Hi all,

I'm going to change the OEM Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar tire (265/60R18/SL) on my 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and I'm looking to get a slightly bigger (65) tire with a stronger sidewall - issue being that the trails I run in the Sierra (e.g., Coyote Flat) keep blowing out my sidewall. I have either the KO2s in mind or the Wildpeaks - with the former being an E rated tire (10 ply) and the latter being SL (4 ply).

I have been leaning towards the Falken's for a while, since people seem to love those and they're five pounds lighter and a fair bit cheaper (I need six tires). However, since sidewall strength is important to me, should I really rather go with the BFGs? Any major difference in sidewall strength between the two? (and my current OEM tire?). I have been asking at Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc., but they don't really seem to have any insights here (I typically get - "they're basically the same, go with the more expensive option...").

Thanks in advance.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have no experience with either tire, but, Make sure you aren't relying solely only on the number of plies on a tire to determine sidewall strength as one tire to the next is constructed differently, so a 10 ply of one tire might not be as resistant to puncture as one with 4 or 5.

I've relied on tire reviews on tire rack and discount tire as well as google searching and reading through countless forum threads. If possible, find reviews / threads from folks with full size / 1 ton / diesel trucks as they will be putting more weight on said tire.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Kendv8s

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

SoCal
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Disclaimer...I used to work for one of the above mentioned companies.

Both tires are excellent off-roading choices. If you are willing to give up some on-road comfort, I recommend going with the "LT" version of either tire. The "LT" version gives you additional plies and often deeper tread depths. Also, depending on how much equipment you carry, you'll want to consider the load capacity of the tire you choose.

I have run multiple routes up to Coyote Flats and never run into an issue with my tires. Just remember, no tire is puncture-proof. Speed and sharp objects are not a good combination.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The KO2 has a 3ply sidewall which is a lot tougher than the 2ply sidewall on the SL Wildpeak. The 10ply carcass is also stronger than the 4ply on the Wildpeak.

I prefer the LT Wildpeak over the KO2 in all respects but I believe the KO2 is a little more puncture resistant on the sidewalls. You might want to check out the brand new Yokohama Geolandar X-AT or Milestar Patagonia MT which both offer better traction than the 2 tires on your list and they have strong 3ply sidewalls.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I just re-read that you are on a budget. I'ddefinitely look at the Milestar Patagonia and see if they have a size that worjs for you. They are way less expensive than the other tires (except the SL Wildpeak) yet still a quality tire. Watch some Lite Brite videos and see how hard they abuse the Patagonias.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Hi folks - thanks for the insights. The LT version of the Wildpeaks would have been great, but unfortunately they don't have that version in the size I'm after - I can't fit an aspect ratio higher than 65 or width more than 265 without having some rubbing issues and/or inability to carry the spare. Same for the Yokohama's / Milestar - they don't have the size I need :(.

I have run multiple routes up to Coyote Flats and never run into an issue with my tires
What tires are you running @Kendv8s? LTs?

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Hi folks - thanks for the insights. The LT version of the Wildpeaks would have been great, but unfortunately they don't have that version in the size I'm after - I can't fit an aspect ratio higher than 65 or width more than 265 without having some rubbing issues and/or inability to carry the spare. Same for the Yokohama's / Milestar - they don't have the size I need :(.

What tires are you running @Kendv8s? LTs?
I'd go with the KO2 then. It's a great tire, especially for SoCal. Or give the Kenda Klever RT a try. It's a hybrid tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler and Patagonia. It's priced well and I haven't read anything bad about them. I really want to try their 35x10.5x17. :smilingimp:

They show a 265/65/18 LT tire for you. They have a strong 3ply sidewall too. $156 at Walmart

Reactions: KrelleKryl