Lost Sierra 4x4 Trail - Gold mines, ghost towns, and glory on the trail!

• HTML tutorial

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

This past July, we set out on the Lost Sierra Trail with a small group of friends. I'd driven (or ridden on my mountain bike) the vast majority of this trail in bits and pieces, but never as one cohesive route. In an effort to spice things up a bit, I decided to alter the original route and take a detour through the first half of Poker Flat OHV Trail from Saddleback Mountain to Howland Flat ghost town. I was also a bit concerned that my full size rig would have trouble with one of the rather narrow creek crossings on the second half of Poker Flat as the trail width was barely wide enough for my previous vehicle, a Land Cruiser.

The Crew
Myself and Thomas in the Ram 3500, Ryan + family in their Nissan Xterra, Angie + family in her Xterra, Kiley in his Lexus GX460, Monica and Daniel in her 4runner.

Day 0
We reserved a group site at Hornswoggle Campground near Bullards Bar. It had a ton of room, even though there only ended up being three vehicles that night. Definitely a nice staging area if you plan to hit this trail with a group.

Day 1
Ryan and his family met us at Hornswoggle camp, and then the group was off (myself + Thomas, Kiley, Ryan + fam, Angie + fam). We paralleled the Yuba River along highway 49 until turning off at Cal-Ida. The first 9 or so miles are paved, but immediately you begin to see remnants of the Lost Sierra's mining past. Within the first mile you'll see an old wooden aqueduct or sluice on your right that still carries water from the creek. We'd stop at Saddleback Mountain Lookout, that would be the first of three lookouts we'd visit that weekend. The road up to the lookout is super fun-- steep, loose, a few rocks to spice things up. It's always fun when you get to throw your rig into 4-low. The views atop Saddleback were fantastic, especially since there were no major fires burning in the state at the time! We chatted with Tony who was manning the lookout before heading back down to our rigs. As we were readying to leave, a pair of SxS's pulled up who'd just come from Poker Flat, and informed us we were the first vehicles they'd run into on the trail.

Well, it was off to Poker Flat next. I'd never done this section of Poker flat, but I'd driven the second half from Howland Flat to Quincy-la Porte Road a couple of years back. The descent was super windy, very steep, with some rocky sections. Again, more time spent in 4-low! Mad Martigan (our Ram 3500) handled the creek crossing without batting an eye. The other rigs made it through without any issue as well. We ended up breaking for lunch at the creek, and the kids loved it as they splashed about in the water.

After lunch we'd head up the hill. Things got steep and slippery real fast! Within the first 150 yards of trail, there was a decent amount of water run off, which made it a bit of a challenge to gain traction, especially on one rutted out section that gave many of the rigs a bit of trouble. Kiley was having trouble gaining traction through that section, but we later learned he forgot to engage his center locker, which would explain why his front tire kept spinning and the rear tires failed to gain any traction (it happens to the best of us!). After we made it through the rutted section, the next 3-4 miles were spent in 4-low going up the steep, loose and chunky trail. I'd love to go back and do the entire trial, but I fret the trail isn't wide enough for the ram on one of the creek crossings on the second half of Poker Flat (another reason I decided to reroute the adventure through the first half of poker flat).

At the top of the mountain, Howland Flat Ghost Town was waiting for us. At its peak it was home to several thousand inhabitants, 3 saloons, mercantile shops, a school, post office and hotel. We ended up visiting the old cemetery, which is super spooky. Numerous old buildings still remain spread across the area, and the tailings... the extend for miles and miles along the road towards St Louis bridge. It's absolutely mind boggling how much earth (and destruction) the miners moved in search of gold. For the sake of time, we didn't get out of the vehicles and explore some of the old buildings along the way. I was hoping we'd be able to snag a site along the creek near Old St Louis Bridge, but no surprise, a couple of groups had already set up camp along the creek. We ended up driving out to Pilot Lake and found a few plausible campsites near a rather impressive Christian Summer Camp. We ended up over the hill from the camp along the Slate Creek Diggins-- an open serpentine barren that would provide exquisite views of the night sky.

While enjoying our dinners, we heard the recognizable rumble of what sounded like a 2-stroke engine. A person crested the knoll atop an old ATV pulling a trailer that appeared to be filling with gear. I don't recall the bloke's name, but he was rather personable and informed us he ran the camp on the other wide of the hill. He also informed us that this area was rich with gold, and in fact, a 96 oz gold nugget was found by a local miner at these diggings, and was on display in the Smithsonian (who knows if that's true or not!?). He'd brought along a heavy duty industrial vacuum which he used to suck up the serpentine dirt and topsoil. This would go into a series of plastic 5 gallon buckets, which would then be sorted using a vibrating sluice box to separate the gold ore. He let the kids get into the action and they loved it. He also promised to sift through the kids' collected dirt to see if they'd manage to find any gold in their house-cleaning activities.

We were expecting Daniel to arrive with his friend Monica later that night. Daniel's truck was in the shop, so he was hitching a ride with Monica in her 4Runner. They ended up arriving sometime after 10pm that night, at which point we decided it was time to turn in.

More on Day 2 soon!

SIERRA-NEVADA-TRAIL-SD3.png

20220701_110742.jpeg

Eureka City Diggins, our first discovery point stop!

IMG_1179.jpeg
Tony's built quite the reputation around these parts. @saddleback lookout

20220701_115108 (1).jpeg
Looking down Saddleback Mountain.

IMG_1197.jpeg

Things getting fun as we drop onto the Poker Flat OHV Trail

IMG_1201.jpeg
170 years later, and bandits are still a problem in the Lost Sierra!

IMG_1205.jpeg
Lunch Break at Canyon Creek aka the Creek Crossing

IMG_1219.jpeg
The Poker Flat shack has seen better days

IMG_1227.jpeg
Touchdown!! Poker Flat FTW!

20220701_153903.jpeg
The cemetery at Howland Flat ghost town. There's a creep campsite right across the road if you're into communicating with the dead.

IMG_1239.jpeg
Our neighbor at the Slate Creek Diggings. He claimed a 96oz gold nugget was discovered here.

IMG_1248.jpeg
The kids being put to work to try and offset the insane fuel prices in July 2022!

IMG_1253.jpeg
That's good for .001 gallons of fuel!

IMG_1257.jpeg

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Ben,

Very nicely written. As a reader, you can literally experience your trip, so great and detailed as you write. And the photos are also great.

Thank you very much for sharing. I look forward to the next parts!

Bjoern

Reactions: Advtres

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Day 2

Our neighbor atop his ATV came by camp shortly after 9am as he'd promised. He'd sifted through the buckets of dirt the kids collected, and claimed to have found a few gold flakes in the gravel. He gave one of the kids the flakes in a glass bottle. The kids were all super stoked they'd found real gold, which set a good tone for the day. We hit the trail about 20 minutes later. The section of trail from old townsite of St Louis passes between Mt Fillmore and Mt Etna, which is one of my favorite parts of the trail. We'd break for a short break at McRae Meadows, which was surprisingly empty (maybe 1 campsite was taken). A number of SxS's came ripping through, and the sound of their small block engines thundered through the meadows. I really look forward to the day all of those things are electrified, because the noises they make are just egregious.

From McRae Meadows we'd climb up past the A-tree, where things started to get a bit steeper, with lots of loose rocks-- time for 4-low! I'd ridden my mountain bike through this section several years ago, and knew the views up the mountain were second to none. We reached a plateau, and some bloke had set up camp with his 4-wheel camper. Good thing he had a camper because the wind was whipping through at a good 25-35 mph! The views were fantastic, but the rest of the group didn't seem to inclined to hang out in the blustery wind for more than a few minutes. We'd head back down the mountain on our way to Plumas-Eureka State Park.

The drive down the old Johnsville-McRae Road is just bumpy enough to keep things interesting-- and the scenery ain't half bad either! Going down in my rig was certainly a lot more enjoyable than making the 2,000' ascent via my mountain bike. We'd break for lunch at the day use area next to Jamison Creek, and what do you know the kids were back playing in the water again. I damn near had had to force feed Thomas his lunch, as there's no way he'd be eating on his own volition with a distraction like a creek nearby. After lunch, a small group of us decided to head back to the main mining area (there are numerous) at Plumas Eureka State Park. We explored the museum, which was really interesting. Of course the museum had relics on display from the old mine, but it also had a number of maps, diagrams, and model replics of the old mine building. I was most impressed by the old map which shown all of the mine shafts that had been excavated to extract gold ore from the mountain. From there we explored many of the old buildings, many of which have been renovated. The blacksmith shop was even open, and as you can see below a couple of old timers were doing their best to convince us they were real life blacksmiths (maybe they were!). The old mill was super cool as well, unfortunately the general public can only get within about 20 yards of the old mill, which is off limits to the public for safety reasons. They've also got a cool little sluice filled with gravel, water, and a couple of gold pans that kids can play with as well.

Next on our agenda was Frasier Falls, about a 45 minute drive away. We passed through the town of Graeagle and stopped to get gas. It was July 2nd, and apparently this was the day that everyone in the northern Sierras decided to celebrate the 4th. I wish I had some photos to show, but this place was hopping! I'm talking several thousand people walking all over, and many on their way to being rather inebriated! It looked like quite the celebration, but we had a waterfall to go see! We followed a 1 lane paved forest service road that climbed the mountain, which also happened to have a perfect view of Mills Peak in the distance (the second lookout we'd visit on day 3). We reached the parking area which had about a dozen vehicles parked. The "hike" to Frasier Falls is about 1/2 mile on a paved path that takes about 10 minutes. The group walked out to the viewing platform, while I opted to launch the drone and capture some videos. It wasn't raging the like the last time we'd visited, but there was still a decent flow spilling over the 176' falls. The falls are rather impressive, especially if you can visit in late spring or early Summer when the runoff from snowmelt kicks the creeks and streams into full gear! This most be one hell of a route (it is!), because both the kids and adults all seemed to be enjoying themselves, which is a rarity!

Between Plumas-Eureka SP and Frasier Falls, we'd manage to burn up quite a bit of time. Looking at what remained along our planned route, I thought it'd be a good idea to begin searching for camp. Well, easier said than done, especially over the 4th of July Weekend! We were wandering the trails below Mills Peak, but just kept coming up short. We'd find a spot that was decent for 3 vehicles, but not ideal for the 5 rigs in our group. I found what I thought was a really nice spot adjacent to a meadow and called over the radios for the group to check it out. The group arrived and everyone thought we'd found camp-- hah! We jumped out of our vehicles only to be swarmed by hundreds of mosquitoes. It took us all of 20 seconds to decide this spot would not work. Again, we found ourselves splitting up and searching the various roads below Mills Peak and the dense, swampy meadows at the base of the mountain. I found a clearing that was dry and relatively mosquito free on the road up to Mills Peak. I radioed the group to come check out the proposed camp for the night, and after assessing that the mosquito population here was rather manageable, we set up camp.

Here's a small tip if you own a drone. If you've never crashed your drone, don't gloat to your friends about it! Hah-- well that's what I did, and within about 2 minutes, I clipped a pine tree while trying to get a nice spotlighting shot of one of the rigs (a few beers may have contributed to my miscalculations!). I did damage a couple of the rotors, but the the drone was still flyable and everything else seemed to be in working order. While flying the drone I also discovered the Sierra Buttes were just a few miles away as the crow flies. Later that evening I'd walk up to the edge of the meadow and could see the buttes from there as well.

There was not gravel or dirt for the kids to prospect this evening, but they really seemed to love the meadow. They were running about playing games, throwing things about, and just making a lot noise! Our camp was around 6700', and we could definitely feel the cool air compared to the previous night. The stars were amazing.

IMG_1275.jpeg
Somewhere near Mt Etna

20220702_111944.jpg
McRae Meadows

IMG_1312 (1).jpg
Above the A-Tree

20220702_120938 (1).jpg
Lakes Basin Viewpoint

IMG_1311.jpeg
Lakes Basin Viewpoint

20220702_134406.jpeg
Jamison Creek Day Use Area

IMG_1326.jpeg
The old blacksmith shop at Plumas-Eureka SP. Fakin' it or for real? He's got me convinced!

IMG_1331.jpeg
Eureka Mine stamp mill

IMG_1343.jpeg
Plumas-Eureka SP Museum

IMG_1346.jpeg
Plumas-Eureka SP Museum

20220702_154747.jpeg
Frasier Falls Lookout

falls.png
Drone shot of Frasier Falls.

IMG_1366.jpeg
Camp below Mills Peak with the Sierra Buttes in the background.

IMG_1360.jpeg
Future dog trainer?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WOW what great writing and a great trip!

Do you happen to have a gpx or kml for this? You got me totally wanting to do this!

Jim

• Angry
Reactions: OTG_one

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you happen to have a gpx or kml for this? You got me totally wanting to do this!
I second this. I can put together something from your story but, I would really like a GPS file. I have heard of the route but info on it is sparse other than hiking trails.

Reactions: OTG_one and Jim SoG

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

I second this. I can put together something from your story but, I would really like a GPS file. I have heard of the route but info on it is sparse other than hiking trails.
It is a proprietary route from overland Trail Guides. Just sharing the deets from the trip, GPX is behind a paywall.

• Angry
Reactions: Jim SoG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have an account with them. unfortunately I seem to have forgotten my password and their recover password is broken.

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Some of the things we saw/experienced on days 3 & 4 included a visit to the top of Mills Peak fire lookout, a trip to upper Sardline Lake, tons of views of Lakes Basin, a visit to Sierra Buttes lookout, and a drive through historic downtown Downieville. We didn't get a chance to visit Alleghany and Forest Hill ghost town on this trip.

20220703_095942 (1).jpg

DJI_0478 (1).JPG

IMG_1397.jpeg

20220703_152435.jpg

IMG_1406.jpeg

buttes.png

IMG_2873.jpeg

Reactions: Offroadtails

Gotham2112

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Sachse, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McGovern
Member #

This past July, we set out on the Lost Sierra Trail with a small group of friends. I'd driven (or ridden on my mountain bike) the vast majority of this trail in bits and pieces, but never as one cohesive route. In an effort to spice things up a bit, I decided to alter the original route and take a detour through the first half of Poker Flat OHV Trail from Saddleback Mountain to Howland Flat ghost town. I was also a bit concerned that my full size rig would have trouble with one of the rather narrow creek crossings on the second half of Poker Flat as the trail width was barely wide enough for my previous vehicle, a Land Cruiser.

The Crew
Myself and Thomas in the Ram 3500, Ryan + family in their Nissan Xterra, Angie + family in her Xterra, Kiley in his Lexus GX460, Monica and Daniel in her 4runner.

Day 0
We reserved a group site at Hornswoggle Campground near Bullards Bar. It had a ton of room, even though there only ended up being three vehicles that night. Definitely a nice staging area if you plan to hit this trail with a group.

Day 1
Ryan and his family met us at Hornswoggle camp, and then the group was off (myself + Thomas, Kiley, Ryan + fam, Angie + fam). We paralleled the Yuba River along highway 49 until turning off at Cal-Ida. The first 9 or so miles are paved, but immediately you begin to see remnants of the Lost Sierra's mining past. Within the first mile you'll see an old wooden aqueduct or sluice on your right that still carries water from the creek. We'd stop at Saddleback Mountain Lookout, that would be the first of three lookouts we'd visit that weekend. The road up to the lookout is super fun-- steep, loose, a few rocks to spice things up. It's always fun when you get to throw your rig into 4-low. The views atop Saddleback were fantastic, especially since there were no major fires burning in the state at the time! We chatted with Tony who was manning the lookout before heading back down to our rigs. As we were readying to leave, a pair of SxS's pulled up who'd just come from Poker Flat, and informed us we were the first vehicles they'd run into on the trail.

Well, it was off to Poker Flat next. I'd never done this section of Poker flat, but I'd driven the second half from Howland Flat to Quincy-la Porte Road a couple of years back. The descent was super windy, very steep, with some rocky sections. Again, more time spent in 4-low! Mad Martigan (our Ram 3500) handled the creek crossing without batting an eye. The other rigs made it through without any issue as well. We ended up breaking for lunch at the creek, and the kids loved it as they splashed about in the water.

After lunch we'd head up the hill. Things got steep and slippery real fast! Within the first 150 yards of trail, there was a decent amount of water run off, which made it a bit of a challenge to gain traction, especially on one rutted out section that gave many of the rigs a bit of trouble. Kiley was having trouble gaining traction through that section, but we later learned he forgot to engage his center locker, which would explain why his front tire kept spinning and the rear tires failed to gain any traction (it happens to the best of us!). After we made it through the rutted section, the next 3-4 miles were spent in 4-low going up the steep, loose and chunky trail. I'd love to go back and do the entire trial, but I fret the trail isn't wide enough for the ram on one of the creek crossings on the second half of Poker Flat (another reason I decided to reroute the adventure through the first half of poker flat).

At the top of the mountain, Howland Flat Ghost Town was waiting for us. At its peak it was home to several thousand inhabitants, 3 saloons, mercantile shops, a school, post office and hotel. We ended up visiting the old cemetery, which is super spooky. Numerous old buildings still remain spread across the area, and the tailings... the extend for miles and miles along the road towards St Louis bridge. It's absolutely mind boggling how much earth (and destruction) the miners moved in search of gold. For the sake of time, we didn't get out of the vehicles and explore some of the old buildings along the way. I was hoping we'd be able to snag a site along the creek near Old St Louis Bridge, but no surprise, a couple of groups had already set up camp along the creek. We ended up driving out to Pilot Lake and found a few plausible campsites near a rather impressive Christian Summer Camp. We ended up over the hill from the camp along the Slate Creek Diggins-- an open serpentine barren that would provide exquisite views of the night sky.

While enjoying our dinners, we heard the recognizable rumble of what sounded like a 2-stroke engine. A person crested the knoll atop an old ATV pulling a trailer that appeared to be filling with gear. I don't recall the bloke's name, but he was rather personable and informed us he ran the camp on the other wide of the hill. He also informed us that this area was rich with gold, and in fact, a 96 oz gold nugget was found by a local miner at these diggings, and was on display in the Smithsonian (who knows if that's true or not!?). He'd brought along a heavy duty industrial vacuum which he used to suck up the serpentine dirt and topsoil. This would go into a series of plastic 5 gallon buckets, which would then be sorted using a vibrating sluice box to separate the gold ore. He let the kids get into the action and they loved it. He also promised to sift through the kids' collected dirt to see if they'd manage to find any gold in their house-cleaning activities.

We were expecting Daniel to arrive with his friend Monica later that night. Daniel's truck was in the shop, so he was hitching a ride with Monica in her 4Runner. They ended up arriving sometime after 10pm that night, at which point we decided it was time to turn in.

More on Day 2 soon!

View attachment 236573

View attachment 236571

Eureka City Diggins, our first discovery point stop!

View attachment 236570
Tony's built quite the reputation around these parts. @saddleback lookout

View attachment 236569
Looking down Saddleback Mountain.

View attachment 236568

Things getting fun as we drop onto the Poker Flat OHV Trail

View attachment 236567
170 years later, and bandits are still a problem in the Lost Sierra!

View attachment 236566
Lunch Break at Canyon Creek aka the Creek Crossing

View attachment 236565
The Poker Flat shack has seen better days

View attachment 236563
Touchdown!! Poker Flat FTW!

View attachment 236562
The cemetery at Howland Flat ghost town. There's a creep campsite right across the road if you're into communicating with the dead.

View attachment 236561
Our neighbor at the Slate Creek Diggings. He claimed a 96oz gold nugget was discovered here.

View attachment 236560
The kids being put to work to try and offset the insane fuel prices in July 2022!

View attachment 236558
That's good for .001 gallons of fuel!

View attachment 236572
Looks like a great trip and the whole crew had a good time!

Reactions: OTG_one