Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Its an interesting idea. I looked into it a bit ago where it applied to smart cars.
Being in the mid 800 meg range gives it good penetration but very line of sight with no bouncing around hills. I run a mesh system similar to it for my home network. Some Ham radios have a feature where you can link (forgot name, someone will chime in) showing you gps of your friends. It works like a mesh system connecting through others. I'm capable of it but none of my friends are so, I don't use it.

LoRa (Long Range) gets its name from its ability to connect and hop station to station, giving it range. As a stand alone system trying to go long range point to point its power falls short. I believe the output is in low milliwatt or high microwatt. In a city it could work with your cell phone connecting to everyone else's cell and hop its way to a tower. No more one bar signal in some areas of the city (my house).

The technology actually rocks where it would apply to smart items. The idea is to have smart cities. Everything connected to everything including smart cars. Imagine the car being able to communicate with other vehicles to avoid collision. Wifi would be everywhere. Your fridge would communicate with the stores and have items delivered as needed (that's sort of here now). It would be (kind of) city wide wifi.

Reactions: Benjaninja

Benjaninja

Rank I

Contributor III

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Howell
This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing this knowledge with me. I am just getting into the whole jam radio scene (studying for the test) and came across LoRa and was instantly hooked. Thanks again

V/r

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You will find most people have Ham/Gmrs and a few hold outs for CB. I recently removed my CB and added GMRS. I prefer 2m overall. Most of my group uses GMRS so that's our go to. I'm trying to get everyone on 2m because out here GMRS is starting to get crowded.