Looking to cool off

• HTML tutorial

TXFoster

Rank 0

Traveler I

dfw
Need suggestions and guidance: I'm looking for a destination within 12 hours driving from DFW. I'm assuming I'm looking at New Mexico or Colorado to find a cooler to explorer for a long weekend. I can leave Thursday after work and return home Monday morning (4 day weekend).
I'd like mountains, forest or desert, the ability to build a fire at night, easy beginner trails, isolated, temp below 90F.
Does such a place exist within a 12 hour driving radius of DFW?

Let'sGetDirtyOverlanding

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Jacksonville, NC, USA
Member #

Need suggestions and guidance: I'm looking for a destination within 12 hours driving from DFW. I'm assuming I'm looking at New Mexico or Colorado to find a cooler to explorer for a long weekend. I can leave Thursday after work and return home Monday morning (4 day weekend).
I'd like mountains, forest or desert, the ability to build a fire at night, easy beginner trails, isolated, temp below 90F.
Does such a place exist within a 12 hour driving radius of DFW?
You’ve just described Pagosa Springs CO...you’ll get some desert as you drive through northern NM and then mountains and forests when you turn north onto Hwy 84. The total distance is roughly 12-hour’s, however you could add some sightseeing along the way, as there’s a ton of interesting and ancient locations scattered along the various routes.

Currently there is a fairly significant wildfire situated just north of Durango, which is approximately 60-miles to the west of Pagosa, causing the Forest Service to close off access...the National Forest around Pagosa is super dry, yet still has no access restrictions - just bans on open fires of any kind.

I’ve got a couple of new videos on my YouTube channel, with some footage that I shot last week when I was visiting a friend in PS...here’s a link -
Hopefully, I’ll be headed back that direction by the end of June, via the backroads through and Ruidoso and Santa Fe on the way...my plan is to establish an ‘Overlanding Retreat’ on the outskirts of Pagosa Springs, assuming the stars lineup
jb

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: TXFoster