Barclay

Local Expert Southern CA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Los Angeles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BDO
I'm planning to meet up with some family for a weekend of camping; I'm coming from SoCal and they are coming fro CO, so we were thinking southern UT would be a good middle ground. I've never had the chance to explore UT and know precious little about it except that the photos are amazing. Parameters:
* Date/Duration: early June, after Memorial day to miss the crowds, probably 2-3 nights ignoring interstate travel to/from.
* Dispersed/primitive camping strongly preferred, we're fully leave-no-trace self-sufficient. We'd prefer not to see anyone else.
* Structure: mostly likely base camping for the duration, but open to day-to-day moves, particularly if it gets us farther to a great spot.
* Least-capable vehicle will be a stock Subaru Forester, so that's the bar for how hard the trails can be.
* We'll have a couple pooches so no-dog areas are a no-go.
* Fishing within a short hike or short drive is a huge plus. (The doggies might make this challenging; they're talkers.)
* Light hiking (~5-8 mile day hikes) with pretty scenery a huge plus.

Educate me! Looking forward to some pointers.

Thanks,
-B

AL Z.

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Sandy, Utah, USA
First Name
Alphonse
Last Name
Zoda
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM: KJ7LDJ GRMS: WSAS756
Service Branch
Veteran U.S.Army
I'm planning to meet up with some family for a weekend of camping; I'm coming from SoCal and they are coming fro CO, so we were thinking southern UT would be a good middle ground. I've never had the chance to explore UT and know precious little about it except that the photos are amazing. Parameters:
* Date/Duration: early June, after Memorial day to miss the crowds, probably 2-3 nights ignoring interstate travel to/from.
* Dispersed/primitive camping strongly preferred, we're fully leave-no-trace self-sufficient. We'd prefer not to see anyone else.
* Structure: mostly likely base camping for the duration, but open to day-to-day moves, particularly if it gets us farther to a great spot.
* Least-capable vehicle will be a stock Subaru Forester, so that's the bar for how hard the trails can be.
* We'll have a couple pooches so no-dog areas are a no-go.
* Fishing within a short hike or short drive is a huge plus. (The doggies might make this challenging; they're talkers.)
* Light hiking (~5-8 mile day hikes) with pretty scenery a huge plus.

Educate me! Looking forward to some pointers.

Thanks,
-B

Hello,

Here are a few places I know about:

Gemini Bridges runs between SR 191 and SR 313. It’s a great run but very limited camping.
I camped in Brides Canyon (38.612 109.664) which has 5 dispersed camp sites with only fire rings and no water.
The BLM requires all campers to have a camp toilet system.
Because the camping is limited all the sites fill up early.
On my trip all the sites where taken by mid afternoon.

Cowboy Campground (38.56059 109.7937) this is a fee C.G. ( Fire ring, table and outhouse.)
Campground is close to Dead Horse State Park, Canyonlands or you can drive North on SR 313 and hit the Gemini Bridges road.

Long Canyon Road ( 38.5548 109.7639 ) I have not camped there but I am told there is good camping there that over looks Dead Horse State park.

Hope this helps you getting started on your new adventure.
If you are looking to head farther South you may want to look at Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley.
HAPPY CAMPING!!!

CHEERS.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
there is a huge boondocking area about 3-4 miles north of escalante. that is a good area with a lot of sights and hiking. its also not far from zion, which is definitely worth seeing. we did close to a week at escalante and never saw the same thing twice...there is a dirt road that goes east and is loaded with trails to hike. check out the area on google map, there is a lot in that area and good boondocking

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Moab is a good option (you saw that coming) I think it checks most of your boxes. It's in a good location and only minutes outside of Arches National Park. Speaking of the parks, a lot of them require reservations now - Arches specifically has a "secret entrance" that skips the reservation system and the entry fees but your Forester will have to sit out. Hopefully you can carpool for a day. It's easy to find just Google it.

Just South of Moab is the Manti-La Sal Mountains, it's all free dispersed camping with amazing views. The area is also right by the Colorado River, I don't fish personally but I'd bet there are some opportunities.

OvrlndDeck

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cedar City, UT, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Decker
Up in the Tushar Mountains has to be one of my favorite area I have camped at in southern utah! Once you hit the dirt road (last summer the trails werent too bad, well see how they are after the snow melt) there are endless spots to camp! The higher you go and closer towards Delano Peak you go, the less and less people youll see around.