Looking for camp bedding that packs down.

• HTML tutorial

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

My wife is not a real big fan of sleeping bags so I'm on the hunt for options for warm bedding that packs down nicely. Our current setup is an REI Half Dome 2 Plus, a 78"x55"x4" sleeping pad and then just regular bedding we set aside for camping. Works well down to the 40s but takes up A LOT of room in the Xterra and wont be an option in the 2 door Wrangler we have on order. So to keep the missus happy and the trips going what are yalls suggestions for sheets and or blankets.

Reactions: FishinCrzy

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
How cold will it be when you plan on camping?

I picked up a couple of get out gear puffy blankets, and they're surprisingly warm, but anything below 45 degrees, and I need a little extra. I might try a rumpl in addition to it. Rumpl also makes a double blanket.

Both of these pack down very small.

Also, round headlights are the best headlights. :grinning:

Reactions: YoKramer

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

How cold will it be when you plan on camping?

I picked up a couple of get out gear puffy blankets, and they're surprisingly warm, but anything below 45 degrees, and I need a little extra. I might try a rumpl in addition to it. Rumpl also makes a double blanket.

Both of these pack down very small.

Also, round headlights are the best headlights. :grinning:
She doesnt mind going down into the 40s so long as we can stay warm. I'll look into both of those and shoot her links to see what she thinks. I already know that the color shcemes on the rumpl brand will be right up her alley lol.

And nothing better than round headlights lol. Gonna be sad to see the Xterra go shes been a great truck, but at almost 1/4 million miles I think its time to upgrade.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
She doesnt mind going down into the 40s so long as we can stay warm. I'll look into both of those and shoot her links to see what she thinks. I already know that the color shcemes on the rumpl brand will be right up her alley lol.

And nothing better than round headlights lol. Gonna be sad to see the Xterra go shes been a great truck, but at almost 1/4 million miles I think its time to upgrade.
Both my wife an I love the colors of the rumpl. I like the get out gear blankets ALOT, but it's not quite warm enough. I'm planning on doing some solo winter camping, so I'll likely grab a rumpl for myself. The combination of the two should work well. And the diesel heater.

At 250k,your X is just getting broken in. My 03 has about 100k to go before it gets to 250k.

When it's time to replace mine, I'm going to try and find a lower milage late model 2nd Gen.

Or rebuild it. Probably rebuild it. Maybe SAS it. Who knows.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hard to beat down for weight/bulk to warmth ratio. Nice comforters can get expensive. The 650 - 850? fill power rating usually gets the job done. If there are concerns about the conditions (wet) there are synthetic alternatives. They just don't compress as well.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

Both my wife an I love the colors of the rumpl. I like the get out gear blankets ALOT, but it's not quite warm enough. I'm planning on doing some solo winter camping, so I'll likely grab a rumpl for myself. The combination of the two should work well. And the diesel heater.

At 250k,your X is just getting broken in. My 03 has about 100k to go before it gets to 250k.

When it's time to replace mine, I'm going to try and find a lower milage late model 2nd Gen.

Or rebuild it. Probably rebuild it. Maybe SAS it. Who knows.
I shot the wife links to both and she sent a rumpl she liked back immediately HA so looks like 2 of them are likely in our future in either their company special infill or the down. Thanks for the link.

The Xterra leaks oil like crazy from the front and back, the lifters are hating life, and the trans hasnt been right since about 180k when I bought her lol. I also ignored the timing belt until it snapped on me and when I put the new one on I got insanely lucky that it didnt damage any valves and she runs better than she did before. So with all that I just cant bring myself to dump that much money into it.

Hard to beat down for weight/bulk to warmth ratio. Nice comforters can get expensive. The 650 - 850? fill power rating usually gets the job done. If there are concerns about the conditions (wet) there are synthetic alternatives. They just don't compress as well.

Yea, looked at down stuff the price tag is a bit tough to swallow but buy once cry once and all that.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
The Xterra leaks oil like crazy from the front and back, the lifters are hating life, and the trans hasnt been right since about 180k when I bought her lol. I also ignored the timing belt until it snapped on me and when I put the new one on I got insanely lucky that it didnt damage any valves and she runs better than she did before. So with all that I just cant bring myself to dump that much money into it.
Honestly, if mine was doing the same thing, I'd probably feel the same way about it. But, It's an 03 with 150k, and was EXTREMELY well maintained before I got it, and continues to be well maintained.

I'm getting ready to do a huge amount of maintenance to it, including a new radiator, aux trans cooler, all fluids, and timing belt. I'll probably order a new distributer and spark plug wires as well over the winter as more of a preventative thing. I might even try and do the valve cover gaskets in the spring as well. Probably should make that an "every couple of years" item.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

Honestly, if mine was doing the same thing, I'd probably feel the same way about it. But, It's an 03 with 150k, and was EXTREMELY well maintained before I got it, and continues to be well maintained.

I'm getting ready to do a huge amount of maintenance to it, including a new radiator, aux trans cooler, all fluids, and timing belt. I'll probably order a new distributer and spark plug wires as well over the winter as more of a preventative thing. I might even try and do the valve cover gaskets in the spring as well. Probably should make that an "every couple of years" item.
Oh yea shes treated me well over the last like 8 years Ive had her. Only done routine maintenance other than the things that were my fault; like the busted heater core lines from broken motor mounts and hitting an obstacle a little too hard lol, or the timing belt above. If it weren't for wanting a Jeep in a bad way just for the rock crawling capabilities and that Ive wanted one for a long time I might put some money in her, but I'm ready to have a new car (my first ever really) and can't pass it up. We will probably keep the Xterra for a bit and let my wife drive it out at the local park and see how she likes driving but not sure how long we will keep it after.

Reactions: reaver

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
When we were looking for a duvet for the "big trip" around Western Canada this year we happened to go into Muji for something else and found that they have duvets, sheets, pillows, and pillowcases. We bought a complete set and found the duvet very warm, and packable into a relatively small bag. If it gets much below 10 C then we add a "technical" blanket on top (which we've had for years - light but very good insulation). If it gets below zero C then we get into our sleeping bags and add the duvet on top.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My wife used to hate the constraints in sleeping bags. The rectangular ones were never warm enough and the mummy bags too confining. Until, I stumbled across the Big Agnes 15* bags. They are down, they pack down tight enough to use in our backpacks. As do the therma-rest pads that slip not the bottom of the bags.

Reactions: YoKramer

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

My next sleep system is going to be a down backpacking quilt. I’ve pretty much decided on the UGQ bandit. Expensive, but it can be customized just how you want it. I don’t like sleeping bags either, I feel trapped in them, so the quilt should be perfect.
Here’s a link:
That thing is super cool, gonna shoot her the video of it on there and see what she thinks.

My wife used to hate the constraints in sleeping bags. The rectangular ones were never warm enough and the mummy bags too confining. Until, I stumbled across the Big Agnes 15* bags. They are down, they pack down tight enough to use in our backpacks. As do the therma-rest pads that slip not the bottom of the bags.
Yea she gets super claustrophobic with things as small as a super heavy blanket or the dog trapping her feet so not sure if even a large bag like that would work but Ill share it with her.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
@YoKramer You didn't say which mattress you had but that is quite important in terms of R-value. I have amassed a lot of sleeping bags, quilts and comforters. The only ones that stood the test of time are the ones filled with quality down feathers. The synthetic ones are eventually given away.

I think a a down backpacking quilt might work best for you. It is basically a blanket until conditions dictate you convert it into a semi-mummy sleeping bag. And it's not just one or the other, there are variations in between. I have Enlightened Equipment brand which is a direct competitor to UGQ but I think either would be fine. But these down quilts don't like to be washed often and when you do, need special care. It is recommended to wear long underwear (top/bottom) and surface clean the bags.

BUT.... if I was designing the MOST comfortable, warm & compact camping bedding, it would be a queen sized comforter, specify 850-950 Goose Down Fill, baffled box construction (not the typical sewn through seams) and it would use 10D Nylon fabric. And then I'd finish it off with a Cotton Duvet cover (optional). IMO, nylon sleeping bag material is not comfortable. And long underwear is only comfortable because it is warmer. So, cotton duvet, for the win. Machine washable.

Not sure where to get that though. Perhaps Taiga or custom from Feathered friends.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

@YoKramer You didn't say which mattress you had but that is quite important in terms of R-value. I have amassed a lot of sleeping bags, quilts and comforters. The only ones that stood the test of time are the ones filled with quality down feathers. The synthetic ones are eventually given away.

I think a a down backpacking quilt might work best for you. It is basically a blanket until conditions dictate you convert it into a semi-mummy sleeping bag. And it's not just one or the other, there are variations in between. I have Enlightened Equipment brand which is a direct competitor to UGQ but I think either would be fine. But these down quilts don't like to be washed often and when you do, need special care. It is recommended to wear long underwear (top/bottom) and surface clean the bags.

BUT.... if I was designing the MOST comfortable, warm & compact camping bedding, it would be a queen sized comforter, specify 850-950 Goose Down Fill, baffled box construction (not the typical sewn through seams) and it would use 10D Nylon fabric. And then I'd finish it off with a Cotton Duvet cover (optional). IMO, nylon sleeping bag material is not comfortable. And long underwear is only comfortable because it is warmer. So, cotton duvet, for the win. Machine washable.

Not sure where to get that though. Perhaps Taiga or custom from Feathered friends.

Yea those backpacking quilts look like the way to go for that mix of blanket and sleeping bag and warmth. Going to add them to our list of options.

This is the mattress we use if it helps.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Your REI Camp Dreamer has an R-Value of 6.6
Not the best but not the worst.... sort of middle of the pack. I don't know if it would be worth upgrading. You could actually add another mat below it. That'll raise the R-value and see if it makes a difference.
I have a Exped Megamat LW rated with R-value of 9.5 and I sometimes sleep on ice and it is quite warm.