Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

Anyone know of any good spots to head to for a beginner overlander over the weekend? Preferably in the Southern California / central California area

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Here:

BE aware of the flooded areas.....

Jim

setopete

Rank III
Investor

Member I

Fontana, San Bernardino County, California, United States
First Name
pete
Last Name
holub
Member #

I noticed you're in Riverside, I'm in Fontana myself and am still pretty new to overlanding. Have you looked at Tool Box Springs/Thomas Mountain in the San Jacinto Mountains? There are yellow post sites and other dispersed camping in the area. Near me in the Lytle Creek area, there is Cold Water Canyon. Also, around Big Bear, there are tons of camping, dispersed or organized. I haven't personally checked any of these out, but am planning on doing a research run around Big Bear or San Jacinto in the coming weeks.

Reactions: 3rdgentoy

setopete

Rank III
Investor

Member I

First Name
pete
Last Name
holub
Member #

Here:

Jim
Thanks for these articles Jim. I recently found notarubicon's site & youtube channel and its best a great resource.

3rdgentoy

Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

Here:

Jim
Thanks!!

3rdgentoy

Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

I noticed you're in Riverside, I'm in Fontana myself and am still pretty new to overlanding. Have you looked at Tool Box Springs/Thomas Mountain in the San Jacinto Mountains? There are yellow post sites and other dispersed camping in the area. Near me in the Lytle Creek area, there is Cold Water Canyon. Also, around Big Bear, there are tons of camping, dispersed or organized. I haven't personally checked any of these out, but am planning on doing a research run around Big Bear or San Jacinto in the coming weeks.
That’s awesome and thanks I’ll check some of these out!

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
If you want to have a great weekend camping trip that will take you up some dirt paths that aren't too terrible, but not fully maintained gravel road per se, near enough to you...go up 243 toward Idyllwild and take black mountain trail up to boulder basin campground. You will love it. Bring water with you just incase.

Reactions: 3rdgentoy

3rdgentoy

Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

If you want to have a great weekend camping trip that will take you up some dirt paths that aren't too terrible, but not fully maintained gravel road per se, near enough to you...go up 243 toward Idyllwild and take black mountain trail up to boulder basin campground. You will love it. Bring water with you just incase.
That looks great thanks! I’m going to look into it more

Reactions: kunstmilch

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
There's so much around us that's not difficult. Big Bear has mild to black diamond, Idyllwild is good for some short trips, a bunch towards San Diego. Once it cools off, you can spend weeks in Mojave, Anza Borrego, Death Valley.
How's your vehicle set up?
Grab a map and head to Big Bear for the weekend.

3rdgentoy

Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

There's so much around us that's not difficult. Big Bear has mild to black diamond, Idyllwild is good for some short trips, a bunch towards San Diego. Once it cools off, you can spend weeks in Mojave, Anza Borrego, Death Valley.
How's your vehicle set up?
Grab a map and head to Big Bear for the weekend.
Yeah in late fall-early winter im planning on doing a Death Valley trip. I just have a 2wd with a 3inch rough country lift and 265/70R17s with Falken wildpeaks

3rdgentoy

Rank II

Contributor III

Riverside, CA, USA
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Esposito
Member #

Day trip? Weekend?

Deserts are hot but Big Bear has a lot of good beginner routes.

Check out Trailrecon and 395jnky on YouTube. They both have a lot of socal routes on their channels.
Thinking about weekend, sat-mon next week. Thanks I’ll check those out!

setopete

Rank III
Investor

Member I

First Name
pete
Last Name
holub
Member #

Map them out and start early Friday morning. If you go Friday afternoon, odds are they will be filled.
Thanks for the tip. Luckily my weekends right now are Sunday/Monday so when I go, it'll be a Sunday afternoon. Hopefully, more will be free as long as I avoid Monday holidays.

Reactions: smritte

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
If you want to go 'overland camping' to get a feel for things, places like Big Bear, Idyllwild, Thomas Mountain, and Anza-Borrego are great places. If you want more of an 'overlanding experience' for a longer trip, consider doing the Mojave Road or one of the many routes in (and around) Death Valley. If you head to Death Valley, the whole of 395 opens up with a lot of great 'beginner' places like Alabama Hills, Monache Meadows, Buttermilks, Coyote Flats, etc, etc.

All of these are easy to moderate, although some of them (e.g., Coyote Flats and Eastern part of Buttermilks) may be more intimidating due to rough terrain and shelf roads.

If you do the Mojave Road, make sure you buy the book (Casebier) - it makes the trip that much more enjoyable. You might want to bypass Watson Wash Drop In and avoid the final (Afton) water crossing.