cjsellers610

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sellers
Member #

Hey everyone! I’m reaching out because the wife and I are planning a week camping trip down in NC. I need some suggestions for easy trails that have some flat areas for a ground tent. If possible close to an area we can hike too. Any recommendations? I have a stock 15 4-Runner Trail so no lift for anything too difficult plus first time trying to get out overlanding and not just a state park or campground. Another couple would be nice too if anyone wants we plan on being down there Aug 2-6

Reactions: KM4DWS

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Hey everyone! I’m reaching out because the wife and I are planning a week camping trip down in NC. I need some suggestions for easy trails that have some flat areas for a ground tent. If possible close to an area we can hike too. Any recommendations? I have a stock 15 4-Runner Trail so no lift for anything too difficult plus first time trying to get out overlanding and not just a state park or campground. Another couple would be nice too if anyone wants we plan on being down there Aug 2-6
In Western NC my first thought would be along OLD NC 105 (Linville Gorge). In Eastern NC my first thought would be National Seashore Cape Lookout, a trip I have wanted to take for a few years now. I would only spend one or two nights knowing the Windy conditions at the outer banks but it is something I have wanted to do for a while.

Reactions: cjsellers610

cjsellers610

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sellers
Member #

In Western NC my first thought would be along OLD NC 105 (Linville Gorge). In Eastern NC my first thought would be National Seashore Cape Lookout, a trip I have wanted to take for a few years now. I would only spend one or two nights knowing the Windy conditions at the outer banks but it is something I have wanted to do for a while.
We are going to be finding a base camp in pisgah area. So I think 105 is only a little north east of there if memory serves me right?

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Yes, thereabouts (remember when searching on the internet to use "OLD NC 105" otherwise you could be disappointed).
Pisgah has some great camping and miles and miles of hiking and a few FS roads (usually very well maintained though).

Depending on where in Pisgah and how much you like to drive a wonderful day trip could be into the Cataloochee Valley to see the Elk herd. Your best chance to see the Elk is early morning or dusk. We typically go in the fall or spring so not sure how your luck would be in August but it is a pretty drive.

Reactions: cjsellers610

cjsellers610

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sellers
Member #

Yes, thereabouts (remember when searching on the internet to use "OLD NC 105" otherwise you could be disappointed).
Pisgah has some great camping and miles and miles of hiking and a few FS roads (usually very well maintained though).

Depending on where in Pisgah and how much you like to drive a wonderful day trip could be into the Cataloochee Valley to see the Elk herd. Your best chance to see the Elk is early morning or dusk. We typically go in the fall or spring so not sure how your luck would be in August but it is a pretty drive.
That’s awesome to know there is plenty of hiking and camping in that area which is what I was finding so thanks for the confirmation!

And we will definitely check out the elk heard

Reactions: KM4DWS