Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

So, my current build is a 2023 Subaru Outback. I love this car and it is going to be fun. One issue though is, the interior is not designed to "Add" additional radios and gear. Because it has an 11.6in center mounted touch screen, I can do most stuff like GPS though the touch screen (Android Auto/Apple Car Play).
However, there is just no room to mount a GMRS, CB or HAM radio head unit. Solutions exist for CB and GMRS, but I am not finding anything other than hand held units. Is there a HAM radio that has all of the controls and display in the hand held mic? I know that this may be a lot to ask as there is a lot going on in one of these, but I would love to find something to keep the interior free of the excess clutter. I do have a UV5-R, but I am looking for a mobile solution.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I have 2 Powerwerx DB-750 radios with detachable faceplate and all of the controls on the mic. Really like them.

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
Never understood why they haven't developed an app interface for these radios. Tablet or phone could have a push to talk button with all the programing and wifi repeater searching built in, connected via Bluetooth to a box under the seat/dash.

Reactions: robkroupa

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Vero VR-N7500 Dual Band Mobile... It's $107 on Gigaparts right now if you sign up to get notified of stock. It's got a ton of control options, from the "HT" like VGC-87 wireless display mic, bluetooth PTT buttons / headsets, or use the android / iphone app.. It's also able to support APRS concurrently with the dual watch / receiver. I just got mine a week ago after researching them for about a year, and so far I am more than impressed.

VERO VR-N7500 50W Dual Band Mobile Radio GigaParts.com
VGC BHM-78 Cordless Bluetooth Speaker Mic with Display (buytwowayradios.com)

Here is a video that breaks it down, but I don't think text and pictures does it justice...
VGC VR-N7500: APRS! Android, iOS, Bluetooth, Dual Band 2m/7cm Ham Radio Review - YouTube

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..