Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
In my truck, the rear elocker just makes things worse in 2wd. In 4wd it's priceless. I'd invest in these first:

OEM e lockers are very reliable.
Arb and Yukon Zipp air lockers are very reliable.
Yukon Grizz and Detroit Lockers are the most reliable.
Eaton E lockers are less reliable but still good. Depending on which type of axle. Some homework is required here.
Auburns ECTD locking LSD has been improved and may be a nice option. It'll required LSD type maintenance.
Detroit Truetrac LSD is very popular still, and perfectly reliable. A good option if you're keeping all four tires on the ground.

If you live in an arid climate, I'd put in the Yukon Grizz autolocker.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

TJM finally has their air lockers on the market. Our son just put one in his 2007 Tacoma, likes it so far.

In our 99 F250 2wd a new locker made a world of difference, our factory posi was worn out.

Video of the testing TJM did on their Pro-Lockers. I worked for TJM for a short, I went to TJM Australia for a week to see how things were done.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

e lockers don't require an air system, I have air lockers on mt Rubicons and in 300K miles I've had zero issues but starting from scratch I'd pick an e-locker

On the lockers are useless in 2WD...... go talk to any farmer with a grain truck or any semi driver...... lockers work equally well in 2WD or 4WD.
In 2WD a locker is even more important than in 4WD since in 2WD one spinning tire stops you.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Looking to invest in a locker for my 14 Tacoma Pre-Runner. This is my first rig that does not have 4x4 and was looking for a little more oomph offroad. What is the most reliable, Air or electric lockers?
Neither is most reliable when compared to a mechanical locker - like a lock rite. Reliable does not need air or electricity to work, it only needs a tire to rotate.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

In 2WD a locker is even more important than in 4WD since in 2WD one spinning tire stops you.
I personally think a locker in 2wd is a must. We used to get stuck with the old posi in sand and on loose rock surfaces a lot. With a Detroit locker in our 99 F250 we stopped having problems.

Locker = real 2wd and not one that loses traction while the other just sits there doing nothing.

Last edited:

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

You're right, though Toyota has been less than helpful in publishing the exact system parameters. I just wanted to confirm that you were aware of the system.

In that case, to answer your question, both air and E systems are equally reliable. No real benefits to one over the other, besides the added cost of the required onboard air.

Keep in mind both have the potential for malfunction and failure, just like anything else. Air systems use parts that can rupture and E systems use contacts/connections that can fail. But both are somewhat uncommon and the benefits of having a selectable locker on board outweigh the risks.

Bottom line: it comes down to preference.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I really liked being able to turn off my ARB's for tighter turning. Something I couldn't do with my Detroit's.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Be it 2wd or 4wd a select-able rear locker is a massive enabler. Regardless the type/trademark name of whatever manufacturers "limited slip" differential, a rear locker is a quantum leap forward in capability. Even with 4wd for the majority of circumstances a rear locker is all that is required.

Adding a select-able front locker to that mix doesn't make a rig unstoppable, but with good tires at times it seems like it. 4wd double lockers gives you the widest possible range of options from 2H open to 4L locked and everything in between.

Lockers, articulation,ground clearance, rock rails for ME are not about rock crawling, they are about being alone and having as much capability in reserve as is possible.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
In my truck, the rear elocker just makes things worse in 2wd. In 4wd it's priceless. I'd invest in these first:

OEM e lockers are very reliable.
Arb and Yukon Zipp air lockers are very reliable.
Yukon Grizz and Detroit Lockers are the most reliable.
Eaton E lockers are less reliable but still good. Depending on which type of axle. Some homework is required here.
Auburns ECTD locking LSD has been improved and may be a nice option. It'll required LSD type maintenance.
Detroit Truetrac LSD is very popular still, and perfectly reliable. A good option if you're keeping all four tires on the ground.

If you live in an arid climate, I'd put in the Yukon Grizz autolocker.
Love it when you give such good advise.
Positrak has always served me well on 2wd vehicles.