Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Good suggestion. With the fire bans, the restrictions on transporting firewood (agree with these), the cost and, finally, the quality of local kiln dried approved firewood, I think this is a good addition to one's kit. It seemed kinda gimmicky at first but I've found it's added more flexibility to our camping options. In cooler weather, we can move it inside our walled screen room, there's no need to be concerned with the location of the firepit when setting up camp, the ability to turn it on or off within seconds and cost is very comparable if not cheaper. We have a different brand, Campfire-in-a-Can (now out of business) but it 's very similar. One change we made was to replace the ceramic fake logs with fire beads which don't seem to soot up quite as much.

IMG_6742.JPG

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
Good suggestion. With the fire bans, the restrictions on transporting firewood (agree with these), the cost and, finally, the quality of local kiln dried approved firewood, I think this is a good addition to one's kit. It seemed kinda gimmicky at first but I've found it's added more flexibility to our camping options. In cooler weather, we can move it inside our walled screen room, there's no need to be concerned with the location of the firepit when setting up camp, the ability to turn it on or off within seconds and cost is very comparable if not cheaper. We have a different brand, Campfire-in-a-Can (now out of business) but it 's very similar. One change we made was to replace the ceramic fake logs with fire beads which don't seem to soot up quite as much.

View attachment 207309
Nice! Yeah, I like beads better than lava rocks for sure. No issues with them sloshing about on the trail?

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Nice! Yeah, I like beads better than lava rocks for sure. No issues with them sloshing about on the trail?
The pit came with a circular piece of Styrofoam molded to keep the logs in place but it works equally well on the fire beads as long as the top cover doesn't become detached. Mine has a circular grill that fits over the Styrofoam which helps to hold things in place. Agree with you that it ain't much for cooking anything more advanced than s'mores.

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
The pit came with a circular piece of Styrofoam molded to keep the logs in place but it works equally well on the fire beads as long as the top cover doesn't become detached. Mine has a circular grill that fits over the Styrofoam which helps to hold things in place. Agree with you that it ain't much for cooking anything more advanced than s'mores.
Oh man, wish I had that styrofoam, though I did get mine for $50...

Uberbob102000

Rank I

Contributor III

Washington State
First Name
Uber
Last Name
Bob
I might have to cancel my order for the one I picked up, that looks like it packs up really nicely, which is for the best given how I drive. I just got a random one off Amazon to get before this weekend (cooling off here in the PNW for the weekend).

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
I might have to cancel my order for the one I picked up, that looks like it packs up really nicely, which is for the best given how I drive. I just got a random one off Amazon to get before this weekend (cooling off here in the PNW for the weekend).
Yeah, the problem with lava rocks is that everytime you go out you create more dust inside from the rocks bouncing and grinding on each other. You can swap them for fire beads, but I bet the fire beads are just as heavy. The fake wood in the LRC weighs almost nothing. There's a link in my YT description for the LRC ; )

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
That is a great looking choice if you carry propane, it seems like it would really enhance the evening. Your video is really good-nice job.
Thanks! I had a hard time coming around to the 20lb bottle until I realized I was buying wood every other trip for convenience anyway. Propane turns out to be way cheaper and more compact when you think about how long it can run. Now we have a 5lb and a 20lb. Overnighters we can just grab the 5. Everything else we take the 20lb.

Uberbob102000

Rank I

Contributor III

Washington State
First Name
Uber
Last Name
Bob
Yeah, the problem with lava rocks is that everytime you go out you create more dust inside from the rocks bouncing and grinding on each other. You can swap them for fire beads, but I bet the fire beads are just as heavy. The fake wood in the LRC weighs almost nothing. There's a link in my YT description for the LRC ; )
Sweet, that definitely sounds better than the one I had on order. Now I just need to figure out my hose situation or just get another 5lb bottle for the fire pit or something.