Little Guy Trailers and alike

• HTML tutorial

Incognito27

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Ottawa , Ontario , Canada
Member #

For those who have the small trailers and sleep in them , and live in HOT climates , Is AC a really needed thing . I live in Canada , and summers get to around 30-35 degrees Celcius and anything over 23-25 Degrees celcius i have a hard time keeping cool , even worse when trying to sleep. Is the built in fan system enough to keep it cool in the trailer or should i really look at a AC setup?

Thanks

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Don't most AC units have to be plugged into shore power? If so that really limits where you can camp. I have found a good 12volt box fan to be very helpful in my RTT.

Incognito27

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

no most do not for RVs , they come in a 12v application with low amperage. They can run off solar , generator , or battery. Coleman makes a roof top AC unit that is very slim , and a few other companies make AC units also that dont require 120volt connections. And really even if they do and they are low amperage enough you can use a converter to have 120volt on a trailer.

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Hard to say if it is "really needed" - We have it because my wife insisted on it. Here in the (mostly) high desert and mountains of the western US I am very comfortable, even on hot nights, running nothing more than the Fantastic Fan (12VDC) in the roof. That said, we spent a year in the Florida panhandle and the AC was nice on sticky, humid nights.

We run a ClimateRight 5000BTU unit which is both a heater (more useful to me) and air conditioner. It is a 120VAC unit so I have a Honda EU2000 genset installed as well. Since the genset is mounted to the frame you can feel it running so, when climate control is desired/required, we run it and the air con / heater to get the temp where desired then shut it off when retiring for the night. Everything, along with the battery, is installed in the tongue box of a SoCal Teardrops Krawler 459, i.e., not a very large trailer.

Reactions: Incognito27

Incognito27

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

@DoogieF18 Thanks for the input . Yea we get middle of the road humidity here , for example last year i slept in the back of my truck with a air mattress , and every night i sweat and had a hard time sleeping and when i did sleep it was not very good. if the Fan system that comes on these trailers gives me a 7-10 degree temp difference then it will be enough for me to not have a horrible sleep while out and about. saying that i can also add the AC after , both the Climateright and the coleman mach series seem to be the ones i would consider , The only real question i have on the climateright is the AC prep kit , where can i find it as i only find the adapter kit and climateright unit , and it seems they only on certain trailers rather than universal.

DoogieF18

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallon, NV
Member #

Can't help with the prep kit. Mine is a custom fabrication solution SoCal built for us when we had the trailer built. I tow with the hoses disconnected to reduce stress and snag hazards and only install them when needed. I'll try and upload a few shots of the setup this evening.

Reactions: Incognito27