Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
I want to communicate with home base in Modesto while traveling the Eastern Sierra. Any recommendations on how I can find a comprehensive list of internet connected repeaters on the eastern side?

Reactions: danbrown

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I want to communicate with home base in Modesto while traveling the Eastern Sierra. Any recommendations on how I can find a comprehensive list of internet connected repeaters on the eastern side?
^^^ I was going to say the same thing^^^
Also RT Systems and Chirp have the ability to upload repeaters by area and route by selecting import from “your repeater source like RepeaterBook “ and then selecting the options for repeaters along your route.

Why do you want internet connected repeaters?

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
^^^ I was going to say the same thing^^^
Also RT Systems and Chirp have the ability to upload repeaters by area and route by selecting import from “your repeater source like RepeaterBook “ and then selecting the options for repeaters along your route.

Why do you want internet connected repeaters?
Im guessing for home-station communication or logging. Or they have a need for RTTY packet radio reasons or to get aggregate road/weather conditions from home base or something.
Those are the reasons I could think of, lol.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Sounds like the OP is wanting to use VoIP modes to talk back to home? The other options would be communicating through something like the WIN System (linked repeaters), or maybe even something like EchoLink? Specifically asking for "internet connected repeaters" doesn't say what service, protocol, or network they actually want to use.

Bwana

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
Sounds like the OP is wanting to use VoIP modes to talk back to home? The other options would be communicating through something like the WIN System (linked repeaters), or maybe even something like EchoLink? Specifically asking for "internet connected repeaters" doesn't say what service, protocol, or network they actually want to use.
Yes you're right, sorry about the confusing question I just got my ham license and I am not quit up to speed yet. I was hoping to get some feed back from someone who has used any of the suggested technologies in the Bishop area.

Reactions: Boort

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes you're right, sorry about the confusing question I just got my ham license and I am not quit up to speed yet. I was hoping to get some feed back from someone who has used any of the suggested technologies in the Bishop area.
Just get on a local repeater and ask

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
It's all about having the right tools for the right job. VHF/UHF radio is really in it's own for "local" communications. Meaning simplex line of sight or local via a repeater. For the distance you're talking about you might consider actually using a Zello account and an app on your phone. If you're going to be out of cell phone range then either a satellite communication device or a sat-phone would be the better option. There are some statewide repeater networks such as Western States DMR, Cactus Network etc. But they have big gaps in coverage. I'm not aware of anything that covers Bishop that reaches back to Modesto. There's a repeater on Silver Peak that is linked to Little Lake but that's about it as far as I know.

Reactions: Boort

Bwana

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Riverbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Silveira
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SDB
It's all about having the right tools for the right job. VHF/UHF radio is really in it's own for "local" communications. Meaning simplex line of sight or local via a repeater. For the distance you're talking about you might consider actually using a Zello account and an app on your phone. If you're going to be out of cell phone range then either a satellite communication device or a sat-phone would be the better option. There are some statewide repeater networks such as Western States DMR, Cactus Network etc. But they have big gaps in coverage. I'm not aware of anything that covers Bishop that reaches back to Modesto. There's a repeater on Silver Peak that is linked to Little Lake but that's about it as far as I know.
There are many Little Lakes, are you talking about the one near Twin Lakes near Bridgeport?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

As others have said RepeaterBook can be a helpful starting place. for what you are trying to do the Travel search function should get you most of the way there.
2m North to South:

70cm North to South:

Only one is each list is showing as "AllStar" enabled which usually indicates some Internet connection.

Checking Google Maps APRS shows that APRS is rather sparse in that area as well.

Been a few years since I was there (before I got my HAM tag) but cell was mostly reliable in the valley for Verizion users between Mono City and Lone Pine, Less so for AT&T users outside of the towns. Going up the canyons on either side was hit or miss depending on what towers you could see.

Boort

Reactions: Bwana