Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
FTR, the Lifetime coolers are blow molded rather than roto molded (see email response below). However, the hinges, latches, drain and seal they use are definitely an upgrade from what Coleman and Igloo used in the past. And those are the components I had to replace at least every other year. The Lifetime case also appears to be much more durable. I was on the Ozark Trail consumer evaluation panel a few years back and was given several sizes of their coolers for testing. These are roto molded and, I think, a good value for those who must have a cooler this method of construction but I doubt their ice retention is significantly different from the Lifetime's given the same profile of use.

Thank you for contacting Lifetime Products. The coolers are blow molded.

Thank you,

Sarah
Customer Service
Lifetime Products, Inc.
Wonder what he performance difference is between blow and rotomolded.

Reactions: Jim_NC_Canes

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Wahoowad (Post #19) - That looks to be some serious warping. Please let us know how Liftetime responds.
Sadly still no response via email and their customer service is not even accepting calls. You can’t even wait on hold.

The lid doesn’t look adequately designed for the material they use. It is clearly thicker and more robust at the bottom of the lid and thinner at the top. Thus it is getting cupped. There appear to be a good number of folks experiencing this now as it was a popular cooler last year. Either the material is shrinking or just otherwise lacks the structural integrity to resist warping. I’ve got a couple cheap old school coolers that haven’t done this after 10 to 15 years of abuse. This is the first expensive (for me) coolers I bought so I have babied it, kept it clean and stored out of the way, etc.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Has anyone been using it as a "chair" when on the trail?

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I called Lifetime over and over. Their menu option to report warranty issues with coolers doesn't work so I clicked the option for one of their other product lines. It rang and rang....and rang...so I just left the phone ringing while I drove a long errand. After approx. 45 minutes of ringing someone answered. He said their email team is "weeks" behind in processing customer service emails. But I forwarded him the email with the pics and he responded and says they will be sending me a replacement cooler.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I called Lifetime over and over. Their menu option to report warranty issues with coolers doesn't work so I clicked the option for one of their other product lines. It rang and rang....and rang...so I just left the phone ringing while I drove a long errand. After approx. 45 minutes of ringing someone answered. He said their email team is "weeks" behind in processing customer service emails. But I forwarded him the email with the pics and he responded and says they will be sending me a replacement cooler.
Thanks for the update and good to know they may be sending you a replacement. Hope you can get this resolved soon.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Wonder what he performance difference is between blow and rotomolded.
It was explained to me that rotomolded construction uses a much denser insulation medium and the process is less likely to leave voids compared to blow molding, From my very unscientific experience, the biggest advantage of the rotomolded coolers is their durability. While the ice does last longer (4 days vs 3?? in real world use) in the high dollar coolers, that alone isn't enough to justify the cost difference for me.

I grew up and still live on the family farm and have always carried a mid-size cooler in the bed of my trucks, The hinges and drains on Coleman Xtremes would become brittle from the sun and need replacement about every other year, the lack of a positive latch would sometimes result in the lid opening by itself on rougher roads and the case would crack or split from abuse. In 2012, I was given a 45 qt Pelican as part of the deal when I traded for a Tacoma. That cooler was/is a beast - after five years of being banged around, it has a number of scratches and dents but the case is still intact and nothing has needed replacement. Two years ago, I swapped it out for daily use with a 73 qt Ozark Trail when I joined their evaluation team. I don't think it (or any of the coolers they gave me) are as robust as the Pelican but they're pretty solid overall, The biggest problem I've had with the 73 is the inner liner separating a bit and there's a slight bulge in the floor. The lid still seals tightly enough that I sometimes have to open the drain a little to equalize air pressure when there's been a change in elevation. The Lifetime looks to have the heavier duty hardware of the rotomolded coolers at a much lower cost but the warping lid and questionable support would be a problem for me.

Reactions: Downs

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
So far so good. The original one was a year old so had longer to develop the warp than this new one that is only 6 months old.

BlueTinCan

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Tripp
Last Name
Westbrook
Member #

FYI, I just had a conversation with Lifetime customer service and they say that in March they will be coming out with a wheeled version of their 55qt cooler.

Definitely something I'll be considering.

Reactions: Pyrotech and Downs

Traveler III

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I’ve had my Lifetime for 2 years, lots of miles and works great. Ice will last 3-4 days. To pre cool mine, about a week before I go I save 3 or 4 half-gallon milk cartons that I filled with water and froze. Put those on the bottom the night before. Lay in my food and drinks then a bag of ice on top. Saves buying the sacrificial bag of ice to pre cool.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I’ve had my Lifetime for 2 years, lots of miles and works great. Ice will last 3-4 days. To pre cool mine, about a week before I go I save 3 or 4 half-gallon milk cartons that I filled with water and froze. Put those on the bottom the night before. Lay in my food and drinks then a bag of ice on top. Saves buying the sacrificial bag of ice to pre cool.
I started doing this as well with the kids old juice containers. They also work good for short term like day trip ice. No need ot throw in a bag of ice when I can toss in 2 bricks of ice and be good for the day.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

ABerte

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Medford, OR, USA
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Bertell
Member #

I like my 55 qt Lifetime cooler, but in less than a year of very light usage we recently noticed a moderate amount of lid warpage has already occurred. I did a lot of research before buying and this was a good value compared to many other competitors, but now I realize none of those reviews were for brand new coolers and not anybody who owned one any length of time. Nothing has been stored on top of this and we don't use it for a seat or stepping stool. I sent photos to Lifetime's support team a week ago but no response.

Note in the last photo how the sides of the lid are bending up and away from where the lid seals to the bottom section.

Anything ever come of your contact with the company?

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

I like my 55 qt Lifetime cooler, but in less than a year of very light usage we recently noticed a moderate amount of lid warpage has already occurred. I did a lot of research before buying and this was a good value compared to many other competitors, but now I realize none of those reviews were for brand new coolers and not anybody who owned one any length of time. Nothing has been stored on top of this and we don't use it for a seat or stepping stool. I sent photos to Lifetime's support team a week ago but no response.

Note in the last photo how the sides of the lid are bending up and away from where the lid seals to the bottom section.

Did you research the reviews on their website? Two people had problems with warping, one was two years ago and the other was August of 2020 that is enough to steer me away. I have never had a cooler warp on me, I hope Lifetime gets that warping problem fixed because it looks like a sturdy cooler that will hold ice for a long time, until they fix the issue, I think I will stay away. FYI, I did read a response back to the guy with the warping problem in August and it read "you have to store it with the latches opened, when not in use"

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Did you research the reviews on their website? Two people had problems with warping, one was two years ago and the other was August of 2020 that is enough to steer me away. I have never had a cooler warp on me, I hope Lifetime gets that warping problem fixed because it looks like a sturdy cooler that will hold ice for a long time, until they fix the issue, I think I will stay away. FYI, I did read a response back to the guy with the warping problem in August and it read "you have to store it with the latches opened, when not in use"
The original paperwork that came with my Lifetime cooler instructed to store it with the lid open.

Reactions: Surffishingbum

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
They never mentioned that to me while handling my warranty replacement. The new one has not warped. It really is a nice cooler. I gave the warped one to my buddy who is still using it and loves his too.

Reactions: Surffishingbum

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Using dry ice is great for extending the life of ice as well as keeping things frozen. Dry ice on the bottom to keep things cold , dry ice on the top to freeze things.

Reactions: RoarinRow