Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint-Louis de Kent, NB, Canada
First Name
Rino
Last Name
Granito
Member #

Is anyone running LifePO4 batteries ? I am thinking of putting in 2 batteries in parallel and have 200 amp, on tap, now with a smart DC Dc charger with a good mppt solar build in., you can trickle charge or power all of your goodies from a single bank and all of this for 2500 dollars, You save about 70 lbs on battery weigh, Alot simpler than having multiple battery banks in the truck.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm switching over from dual 6v's this spring. My battery is already here and will be buying the DC/DC shortly (going with this Renogy DC/DC 20a). I rarely stay put over 3 days, so last trip (6,800 miles) we took out the solar panel almost by habit vs. requiring. That was charging the LA's from the Tow Vehicle (the LiPo requires different charger). I'm actually reducing my power bank size... My duals are just over 100ah of usable (rated 230ah, then reduce by half and loses).

A 200ah bank of usable amperage would give me 10 days at max consumption.. I've gone to a 60ah LiPo and with conservative cycling, I have 3 days of autonomy.

I've also decided on a smaller solar panel, now carry a 130w and looking at a smaller 80w-100w. Something that packs nicer.

$2500 still sounds like a lot of money ($12.50 per aH).

If you're willing to build your own, there's quite the savings!
These prismatic cells are recommended and worth looking into LiPo 100aH batteries. Obviously require 4 to reach 100aH @ 12v's. For you 200aH 8 of them @ $124 each $992. Then the BMS of choice, Like this one Low temp cut-off BMS @ $90. Add the DC/DC charger (even if you wet 40a) another $170. Under $1400 or $6.90 (+-) a aH.

Reactions: Brett L.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Where do you get Life and LiPo batteries for overland use? I run LiPo in my RV cars and life in my RV aircraft. Would love to use either or in my boat for trolling motor and electronics... couple this with a solar charger and I wouldn’t need to bring my generator for my week long stays at the reservoir.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Where do you get Life and LiPo batteries for overland use? I run LiPo in my RV cars and life in my RV aircraft. Would love to use either or in my boat for trolling motor and electronics... couple this with a solar charger and I wouldn’t need to bring my generator for my week long stays at the reservoir.
Follow my link above and that's a good start for a supplier. Be careful with Aliexpress or Alibaba until someone recommends the specific supplier. Far too many are following the marketing and spending far too much. Then again, if you can afford and feel better buying from those.. do so.

Reactions: JeepPyr and M Rose

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Stick to the lithium iron phosphate (LiFe) for vehicle and solar use. LiPo (lithium polymer) is great in r/c use due to light weight and energy density but they are very volatile and definitely not suited for overlanding.
Even a small amount of damage can cause a catastrophic fire withLiPos.Check YouTube for video on that.Very impressive combustion rates and quite scary were it inside a car.
I use a 100aH Battleborn as it seems to be about the best quality and its UL listed and very safe.

Reactions: TOUGE