Tustin, CA, USA
First Name
HUNG
Last Name
DUONG
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I do not have a HAM license but plan on getting one eventually
Hi, I am a newbie and I am building a minimalist roof rack for my GX470. Took off the two horizontal OEM cross bars and I see the the metal factory roof rails that could work like a T-slot. One problem that been bugging me is that this 40 inch rail section, stopped about 2 inches from the opening of the moon roof and it is slight curve at the center. If I put on two cross bars, spacing 30-35 inches apart, then anything that lie on top of these two cross bars will be flat and if I want to distribute the weigh even more, than I should add in one or two additional cross bars. What I am concern is that the two additional cross bars can be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch higher than the two outside cross bars. I plan on using some left over 80/20 1515-lite aluminum extrusion for the cross bars. Anyone has good idea how to keep the build simple and make everything level without adding too much more weight on top? Would appreciate some advices. Thank you in advance.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Have figure out anything yet?

I am getting ready to replace my stock rack. Legs/Feet, Runners, and Crossbar members. The Legs/Feet are the only things I have not figured out yet.

Do you have any photos?

I will share an order list and ideas once I am done.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Looks like the GX470 uses the same style roof rack as the 100 Series Land Cruiser.

I removed the factory crossbars on my 100 series rack and mounted 2 1530 crossbars. Works pretty good with my ski rack, RTT and awning.
1603997372779.png

1603997406575.png

1603997313048.png