Levels, Badges and Points... (feeling a little silly)

• HTML tutorial

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I've been overlanding (we called it truck camping) since my USMC days and a member here for nearly 3 years and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that didn't realize that you have to validate many of the items on the points list?
(Example: posting pics and/or videos of water crossings doesn't qualify; you must validate in the points section)

Not to mention some of the automatic points are doing things in a specific way.
(Example: Post in the "Q&A section" of the forum)

I know points don't really equal knowledge or experience, and I'm sure for quite a few it doesnt matter; but for me it's nice to be able to engage in the forum completely.

(This is probably a me problem)

Here's to being more engaged in 2023...

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

I've been overlanding (we called it truck camping) since my USMC days and a member here for nearly 3 years and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that didn't realize that you have to validate many of the items on the points list?
(Example: posting pics and/or videos of water crossings doesn't qualify; you must validate in the points section)

I know points don't really equal knowledge or experience, and I'm sure for quite a few it doesnt matter; but for me it's nice to be able to engage in the forum completely.

I’ve been on the formum around five years about two years as a Overlandbound paid member, I don’t pay any attention to that stuff at all. Myinterest in ranking on forums ended in the early 2000s. In fact over the last six months I’ve pretty much don’t have any connection or ability to even check the forms or time when it’s convenient to do so.

Reactions: Commish1999

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
been on here since 2015 band have a lower score than most, but can probably teach a few people a few things. Started more as a rock crawler with a liking for camping and so far have stayed pretty much the same. i scroll through and read, I do have another account that I stared about a year ago that I use for info on my other vehicle.
depending on location this forum can really not be helpful at all, and actually frustrating. The posting times make no sense to me, I still don't know what time zone its in. .....not that I have really checked. only brand new or old popular posts get traction. If it doesn't get any views in the first few hours it disappears into thin air and never to be seen again, which again depending on the time zone means that most of the world wont see the post.
I live in central Canada.... Ontario.... for me in my area I see maybe a dozen posts on this site for this reason. also my newer account with far less posts and has a lower " reaction score" has nearly doubly the "points" that this account has.
Its all just BS lol. read what you want, post what you will, sift through posts for research or information but take all with a grain of salt and don't let it sway your idea of your experience unless you feel like you need growth in the area questioned.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the point system should only come into play when there is a group of members out on a trail. the member with the lowest trophy points will have to carry everyone's trash. the next lowest score will do all the dishes, etc and then the member with the highest score can anticipate a foot rub and dinner served in his tent at the end of the day...

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
the point system should only come into play when there is a group of members out on a trail. the member with the lowest trophy points will have to carry everyone's trash. the next lowest score will do all the dishes, etc and then the member with the highest score can anticipate a foot rub and dinner served in his tent at the end of the day...
Ok. Now this is a point system I can get behind.

I will implement it on our next outing. I'll let you know how it goes

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I'm neither, here nor there about them. They're like stickers - nice when you get one, but I'm not pining to get them. If it all went away tomorrow, I probably wouldn't notice. But every once in a while, I'll see what new sticker I can get.

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Reactions: the_great_white

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
looks like I've met criteria for points and badges I don't have listed on my profile lol. Oh well. its not hurting my feelings.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army

I too am trying to re-engage after a year or two of dormancy while I was between rigs.
I think the gameification of the platform is a novel idea to encourage engagement and provide newer folks with an indication of who may be a helpful resource.

But you aren’t alone in trying to figure out how to verify some of the stuff on the points list.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I'm still trying to figure out how to get stuff validated. I do like the idea of the lowest points gets trash pick up etc...
For the ones that need validation there is typically a button on the information for the badge and you can attach photo or what ever is requested, never had an issue so far with validation

mwilson920

US West Region Local Expert Las Vegas

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I'm still trying to figure out how to get stuff validated. I do like the idea of the lowest points gets trash pick up etc...
For the ones that need validation there is typically a button on the information for the badge and you can attach photo or what ever is requested, never had an issue so far with validation
I’m having trouble with the ones where you have to do posts.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have only done verification through the web interface, not the app so not sure if there is a difference. When you select the badge you want to verify, do you get the yellow 'request validation' button on the right hand side. when you select that it should open a new window where you can type in what you did and attach any supporting pictures or documents. then hit send and usually get approved in a day or so. Last on I did was the Tread Lightly certification,, clicked and added a copy of my certificate and that was it. If you have done that and get nothing, I would suggest sending in a support request. Staff is really good about getting back to folks as soon as they can. screen clip from the 'badges' tab on the website.

1674517335137.png

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have only done verification through the web interface, not the app so not sure if there is a difference. When you select the badge you want to verify, do you get the yellow 'request validation' button on the right hand side. when you select that it should open a new window where you can type in what you did and attach any supporting pictures or documents. then hit send and usually get approved in a day or so. Last on I did was the Tread Lightly certification,, clicked and added a copy of my certificate and that was it. If you have done that and get nothing, I would suggest sending in a support request. Staff is really good about getting back to folks as soon as they can. screen clip from the 'badges' tab on the website.

View attachment 248900
Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, there is no verification button to click on for the stuff i need. I guess i will have to wait for the computer to pick it up.

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, there is no verification button to click on for the stuff i need. I guess i will have to wait for the computer to pick it up.
This is the last one I need for the Ambassador badge. I have made several posts in the Q & A and no validation by the systemOB Post.jpg