Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I actually have about 24" of rack space in front of my RTT where a permanently mounted panel would be perfect. I may end up getting one of these Overlandsolar panels: https://overlandsolar.com/collections/off-grid-cabin-solar/products/100-watt-sunpower-panel-osm100

The ability to charge my batteries while traveling would be a huge benefit. Whenever possible, I will try to orient my trailer facing South. That should give me the best sun from Spring to Fall. One thing I liked about the briefcase panels was the ability to angle them towards the sun. Is this really necessary, or is a flat mount facing South efficient enough? So far, the power needs of my basecamp are fairly minimal; just a 50l ARB fridge, a 12v box fan, and LED lighting.

By the way, what type of connectors do the Overlandsolar panels use? I need SAE connectors for the XV-2.
The quick answer:

@KSTrekker, the deep cycle batteries in your trailer should be charging automatically while you drive, via your tow vehicle's alternator and trailer hookup. Doesn't take much to keep the two Odysseys in your trailer charged up while driving, and makes having a fixed panel out for the sun while driving rather unimportant.

A folding panel usually comes with the SAE connector that will work with your XV-2, as it's pretty standard. My 120w folding panel from OS did. Also comes with a 15' heavy gauge lead with the SAE on the end. A flat panel meant to be permanent may not have the SAE connector you need, nor will it have a nice case or cord. Part of what makes a folding panel more expensive. You can easily get the SAE plug and a cord, though, if you choose to go with a flat panel over folding.

The long answer:

Tip: If the batts in the trailer are not yet fully charged from driving, I usually unhook the trailer connection if gone from my rig for more than an hour or when parked overnight, because I don't want my tow vehicle batteries being drained. If you have an isolator set up to separate battery banks when the engine is off, that's a moot point.

If you do go with a fixed flat panel, you'll find that having to regularly orient the front of your trailer to the south when parked/camped will prove to be a pain in the ass. I wrote a long piece about fixed or movable panels here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/on-trail-camp-solar-power.10845/#post-186118

Here are a bunch of other random points to consider when using solar panels for camping, some covered in the linked piece above.

- You will also be using the batteries for your trailer's water pump if it has one, to charge multiple mobile USB devices while in camp, and possibly battery chargers for camera, flashlights, and cordless tools, if you have an inverter to convert the deep cycles 12v to 110. An inverter is handy to have. A 'Pure Sine Wave' inverter as opposed to 'True Sine' or modified sine wave will provide cleaner power for computers, etc.

- The ARB 50 fridge, once at desired temp, only draws about 1.2 amp, I believe. They are amazingly efficient. So much so that I keep mine in my van and run it off the vehicle batteries, not the trailer's. I get it to temp, then often unplug it for hours and it may raise only a couple degrees. I usually set mine about freezing or just below, which allows the deepest stuff to get really cold and everything else around normal fridge temps. In cooler weather like late Autumn, when outdoor temps may dip into the 50's and 40's or below, I may have it plugged in only when I drive somewhere and leave it unplugged from power the rest of the day and overnight. I prefer keeping the fridge in my van so I have food and drink with me if away from camp for the day. It also fits into my workflow quite well right inside the back door of my van. If I really need to, I can plug it into the 12v of the trailer via a long 12v cord I have. Noco makes a nice one, though you can often find good ones at bigger truck stops as well. You want heavy gauge as possible.

- If you choose to go with a single 100w panel, whether fixed or movable, you'll have 20watts less than OS's 120w folding panel. Having 20% more in a panel means more efficient and quicker charging of your deep cycle batteries. The Renogy folding panel is 100w, less expensive per watt, but not as efficient in the latest 2018 conversion figures I've seen, which makes a difference both when charging and over time owned as far as bang for your buck. Scroll down to the two 'Exhibit' graphics on this page, if interested: https://news.energysage.com/what-are-the-most-efficient-solar-panels-on-the-market/

That said, though, I think either a Renogy or Overland Solar folding panel would suffice for most people's needs when camping. Perhaps even some of the less efficient panels would do fine as well, though may not be as robust in build or last as long. I usually stay out a long time and often camp in one place a long time; my last base camp dependent on solar only was five weeks straight in the same place, so enjoy tweaking as much as I can from my system and experimenting with how to make it as efficient as possible. I mean I really enjoy it, and have taught myself a lot about off-grid living and self-sufficiency. Not everyone needs to do that or has the time to.

- Where you camp and if you unhook the trailer or not further complicates having a fixed, flat, panel.

You won't always have room to jockey vehicle and trailer around so the front of the trailer faces south for the sun. If staying only one night, you may not want to unhitch your trailer just to aim it for sun on a fixed panel. You won't always be able to move the trailer by hand, either, if unhitched, unless on flat, smooth, ground. It's a breeze to move that trailer by hand when on pavement or smooth hard ground, but don't expect to be able to in every situation.

Also important, as I wrote in the other piece, is that you will often want to keep your vehicle and trailer in available shade and not in open sun. Whether you have a fixed panel on a trailer or your vehicle, parking in the sun just so the panel is in the sun can make for an uncomfortable day in camp. It may also make it so your trailer or vehicle is not aimed efficiently for your awning to provide shade.

- Flat, permanently affixed panels are nowhere near as effective at gathering energy as a portable, tilt-able, panel aimed more directly at the sun. The sun is only straight overhead for a short period each day, and then, depending on where you are in the hemisphere, only part of the year. The sun's daily arc through the sky lowers quite a bit towards the horizon a good half the year.

Being able to optimize the angle of your panel both vertically and horizontally makes a huge difference. You can watch the gain and loss quite easily on a solar charge controller with a read out. Moving my panel from flat to optimum angle would easily double and triple the gain up to 6 and 7 amps/hr instead of hovering around 1-2 amps/hr.

- Most folding panels have a built-in sliding leg arrangement on their back that allow them to go from flat to around 45 degrees. I found the legs on my folding panel limiting in going only to 45 and being unstable otherwise. In the first and last hours of sunlight I wanted my panels at a steeper angle, so I usually leaned my folding panel against a bench I keep in camp. That way I could have it almost vertical when needed. There's an image of it aimed and ready for the morning sun in the post linked above. In any event, I'd stay away from adjustable legs that involve removing a bolt and putting it in different holes, as opposed to more simply loosening a wingnut and sliding the leg. Less to lose and have to find in the dirt.

- A panel flat on your rack in front of something taller will also limit its exposure to the sun.

My goal in setting up a campsite is to make the process efficient, quick, and easy. Enjoyable. It's no fun if it is a pain to set up and tear down or takes too long. I like to pull into a campsite, pop up the RTT and raise the rack, swing the awning out, and grab a cold drink while I start setting up my kitchen and work area, all in half an hour or less. Adding having to figure and aim the whole trailer for a solar panel, instead of just moving the solar panel where needed later, would complicate my set up more than I'd like, as well as not being anywhere near as efficient in harvesting power.

Last edited:

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

The quick answer:

@KSTrekker, the deep cycle batteries in your trailer should be charged automatically while you drive, via your tow vehicle's alternator and trailer hookup. Doesn't take much to keep the two Odysseys in your trailer charged up while driving, and makes having a fixed panel out for the sun while driving rather unimportant.
I was going to ask this! I didn't want to assume that the batteries charge from the 7-wire plug. Luckily, the Land Rover kills power to the trailer if the ignition is in the off position, so I don't have to worry about draining the tow rig.

Thanks so much for taking the time with your "long answer"! You've definitely talked me out of a permanently mounted panel. I certainly see the advantages of the portable panels for times when orienting the trailer to the South is not possible or you find yourself under shade.

"My goal in setting up a campsite is to make the process efficient, quick, and easy. Enjoyable. It's no fun if it is a pain to set up and tear down or takes too long. I like to pull into a campsite, pop up the RTT and raise the rack, swing the awning out, and grab a cold drink while I start setting up my kitchen and work area, all in half an hour or less. Adding having to figure and aim the whole trailer for a solar panel, instead of just moving the solar panel where needed later, would complicate my set up more than I'd like, as well as not being anywhere near as efficient in harvesting power."

Amen to that, brother! I'm all about efficiency! I used to camp with an old M101A2 Army trailer, but my setup was just so disorganized that it took my wife and I hours to make camp. We ended up dreading the setup and take down. There should be a place for everything, and everything in it's place. I'm trying to do all my research now while the weather is nasty, then do some test weekend setups in the Spring before we start doing longer multi-day trips.

Thanks again for the awesome detail you provided! I'm in contact now with Overlandsolar and will probably purchase from them. This is why I love Overland Bound - this forum is so rich with tons of details about the products that you don't get anywhere else!

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I was going to ask this! I didn't want to assume that the batteries charge from the 7-wire plug. Luckily, the Land Rover kills power to the trailer if the ignition is in the off position, so I don't have to worry about draining the tow rig.

Thanks so much for taking the time with your "long answer"! You've definitely talked me out of a permanently mounted panel. I certainly see the advantages of the portable panels for times when orienting the trailer to the South is not possible or you find yourself under shade.

"My goal in setting up a campsite is to make the process efficient, quick, and easy. Enjoyable. It's no fun if it is a pain to set up and tear down or takes too long. I like to pull into a campsite, pop up the RTT and raise the rack, swing the awning out, and grab a cold drink while I start setting up my kitchen and work area, all in half an hour or less. Adding having to figure and aim the whole trailer for a solar panel, instead of just moving the solar panel where needed later, would complicate my set up more than I'd like, as well as not being anywhere near as efficient in harvesting power."

Amen to that, brother! I'm all about efficiency! I used to camp with an old M101A2 Army trailer, but my setup was just so disorganized that it took my wife and I hours to make camp. We ended up dreading the setup and take down. There should be a place for everything, and everything in it's place. I'm trying to do all my research now while the weather is nasty, then do some test weekend setups in the Spring before we start doing longer multi-day trips.

Thanks again for the awesome detail you provided! I'm in contact now with Overlandsolar and will probably purchase from them. This is why I love Overland Bound - this forum is so rich with tons of details about the products that you don't get anywhere else!
My pleasure, @KSTrekker, you're very welcome. I enjoy writing about all of it. Hell, I enjoy writing, period. I get a bit wordy for some, especially in these days of instanews and tiny screens, but do try to distill all the info in my head on any given subject down to somewhat important points. All part of reviews and info pieces going on a site someday.

Getting the right containers and gear will help tremendously with efficiency, as will common sense in organizing and packing. Then actually using it all on the road and in camp will help sort things again and you'll pack it back up with an eye towards better organization for the next time. But that's another thread, not just solar-related.

You can find other threads here about containers, camp kitchens, rooftop tents, awnings, back-of-your-vehicle set ups, etc. The search function here in OB doesn't always work as well as one might like, but should help get you in the right direction for things you want to read more about.

No, this isn't the only forum rich with details and information about products and process, but it is a fairly enthusiastic one. There are adventure and outdoor sites with great forums like expeditionportal.com, americanadventurist.com, ih8mud.com, and more, as well as any number of more vehicle specific sites and forums. Many have a higher percentage of more experienced campers and 'overlanders.'

Good luck with your rig and getting it outfitted the way you want.

See you out there somewhere, someday.

Dry roads and open skies!

Road

Attachments

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

We move campsites every day so it was important to have a small footprint and the ability to store the solar panel in the RTT. Really only use it if we find a site to stop for a couple days. Otherwise the battery powers the fridge and other items just fine.
I ended up with a Mohoo panel with a Victron Energy SmartSolar charge controller.

View attachment 48281
hows this treating you for running an inverter and fridge?

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
hows this treating you for running an inverter and fridge?
I have a deep cycle battery and wired up a fuse box where the stock inverter used to be. My fridge, HAM radio, volt meter, and a DC plug are wired to the fuse box which pulls directly off the battery. Since I move everyday as a norm, I've never dropped below 12v because of the fridge. The fridge draws very little during the night. I use an external inverter when needed but that isn't too often. If I am at a site for two days, I use my solar panel to keep the battery topped off as I did this past week in Moab at Hidden Canyon.
Solar Panel up on the rock charging the battery :sunglasses:
IMG_0264 (2).jpg

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Just finished a 7 day trip (5 days only on solar) and I am very impressed with my Overland Solar 120w folding panel, dual 55Ah Odyssey batteries, and Zamp solar controller. I was camped at Overland Expo West in the tall pines, so I wasn't getting full sun. The panel was pulling in about 16-30 Ah per day depending on the clouds. Running my ARB 50qt fridge, water pump, lights, and USB chargers, I never got below 50%.

zipline14537

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ohio
I'm running (2) 6v 220AH @20amps deep cycle golf cart batteries running at 12v. I have a 1000 watt pure sine inverter that powers almost everything (excluding large crock pots and space heaters). I'm using a flexible 100watt allpower solar panel with magnetic strips on the back and I just throw it on the hood of my truck when I got parked I've never had to mess with angles and that batteries are always charged by sunset. Looking at the picture the gauges on the left let me know the power that is being created (I wanted to check the solar controller) a battery gauge above the solar controller and then a power consumed meter on the right. The button on the far right powers on/off the inverter
solar.jpeg

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Added a 160W flexible solar panel from Overland Solar to the top of my hard shell roof top tent. Install with 3M VHB tape was super easy - just get the placement right the first time, 'cause once it's stuck, it's on there for good!

I got this panel to augment my 120W Overland Solar folding panel. Together, they will put out about 12-14 Amps; my ZAMP solar controller maxes out at 15A.

Reactions: Sonarman and Boort

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Added a 160W flexible solar panel from Overland Solar to the top of my hard shell roof top tent. Install with 3M VHB tape was super easy - just get the placement right the first time, 'cause once it's stuck, it's on there for good!

I got this panel to augment my 120W Overland Solar folding panel. Together, they will put out about 12-14 Amps; my ZAMP solar controller maxes out at 15A.

Good Job. I have an aversion to putting anything on my Maggi. How does the wind from driving affect your panel?

KSTrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lenexa, KS
Member #

Good Job. I have an aversion to putting anything on my Maggi. How does the wind from driving affect your panel?
I think because it's on a trailer and it sits lower than the roofline on my tow vehicle, there's almost no road wind at all hitting the leading edge. I left the leads coming from the panel kind of loose and drove 75+ MPH and they hardly even moved.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I think because it's on a trailer and it sits lower that the roofline on my tow vehicle, there's almost no road wind at all hitting the leading edge. I left the leads coming from the panel kind of loose and drove 75+ MPH and they hardly even moved.
Ah! There in lies the difference. Mine is on the roof. [emoji41]

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

I have a 120 watt panel and dual battery system. The panel is hinged with gas struts to deploy at a 45 degree angle. It keeps the Engle going indefinitely with plent of reserve to charge laptop, camera batteries, and phones.
Do you have any close-up shots of your panel mounts with the lift supports? I've been trying to come up with an easy way to tilt a panel on my roof, and this looks like a perfect solution.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Say there FX4Rob, We are going to be in Big Bend R and BBNP sometime in January. What hidden treasures they both are in your great state !!

Here is an install vid of my set up. I left out a lot of details, like how to measure, how to cut, etc etc, as the DIY'er already knows how to do that kind of stuff. The mounting balls are bolted unto some scrap aluminum "L" rail I picked up long ago somewhere and just had it laying around in my garage.

Last edited:

FX4Bob

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
Member #

Say there FX4Rob, We are going to be in Big Bend R and BBNP sometime in January. What hidden treasures they both are in your great state !!

Here is an install vid of my set up. I left out a lot of details, like how to measure, how to cut, etc etc, as the DIY'er already knows how to do that kind of stuff. The mounting balls are bolted unto some scrap aluminum "L" rail I picked up long ago somewhere and just had it laying around in my garage.
Thanks!! I will definitely be stealing your idea!

I wish I could make it to Big Bend, but unfortunately there's no way I'd be able to take enough time off in January.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

What a simple idea that works. Man, I overthink stuff way to much. I had an idea, that was way more complicated, and would have come up with the same result.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I have gone with a few 100 watt solar panels, and I just upgraded yesterday.
I have upgraded again, I took possession of the Overland Solar 120 watt folding one yesterday.
Owner Brian drove to my home and hand delivered it too, as he was on this side of the mountains, very cool.
He dropped by yesterday around 4 PM, and I tore into it to check it out, and read the paper work on it.

I have been using the Renogy 100 watt Suitcase one for a few years, but this one is a lot more efficient, and higher wattage output.
With the Renogy there are lines on the glass, there are no lines on the SunPower crystals of the Overland Solar setup, thus letting in more sunlight.
The case and panel itself are smaller than the Renogy, so my FJ will be happier not feeling so bloated inside when loaded up for a trip.

This comes stock with the red colored Anderson plugs, but my cable that goes from the 2nd battery in my dual battery setup has the gray Anderson SB50 plugs on it, so Brian swapped out the red ones Friday night before dropping it off to me on Saturday.
I had also bought a 30' extension from him earlier in the year, and he also had swapped it over to the gray ones.
It also comes with a short cable with Anderson plugs and alligator clips if your rig is not setup like mine with the hard wired cable (he carries these too) from the battery to my ARB bumper in which to plug in the solar panel.

I have heard nothing but great things about Brian's company, and the reviews over on his site are from some very happy customers.
My Renogy is pretty much sold already to a member/moderator over on my forum YotaTech, he should get many years out of it.
I am using a solar panel primarily to keep the Optima Yellowtop topped off as it runs the National Luna Weekender 50 Twin Fridge/Freezer.

Links:

Overland Solar

120 watt model

Pics:

The new one takes up less space, very nice

Being a tri-fold it sits lower, but is hardly any longer than the Renogy, nice
And yes, that is the Dr Who Christmas special I am watching this morning that recorded on Christmas.

I had ran some tests with the Renogy back in April, and on my dual battery setup it had the 2nd battery up to 13.4v in no time.
Very anxious to test out the new Overland Solar one since it is suppose to gather in more light and output more power.

Here was the Renogy one in action from this past August, I had great sun exposure mostly all day long
Detachable 100 watt panel with 100ah AGM mighty max. Runs the trailer with 60L fridge, various LED lights, chargers and water pump for a couple days without sunlight.. indefinitely with sunlight. I keep 20 ft extension for the panel if we end up parking in shadow or shade.IMG_20181011_172058.jpegMVIMG_20181206_003823.jpeg

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

25120B1D-C80A-44CE-9E23-4651B5793314.jpeg 9B8D184E-F40D-4ABD-866F-5C7483A115DF.jpeg 90W mono panel, soon to upgrade to 180W, Morningstar controller, Xantrex 20A marine charger, 2 group 31 AGMs, Blue Seas ACR, Kisae 2000W Pure Sine Wave inverter

Last edited: