Let's see those vans!

• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We built out our van ourselves and are quite proud that our setup lasted through full-time use from 2015-2022 (100k miles and 17 countries). Our advice is to keep it as simple as possible. With a van, you have a big advantage of having an inside space. When we were reaching out to others before deciding on a rig, having an inside space was the number one recommendation.

This was in 2016 but much hasn't changed.
DSC_2227-L.jpeg

Here's an outside shot from 2015 along the Dempster Highway:
DSC_4115-L.jpeg

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
So I'm not a member of the Full Size club, but definitely a van.
VW Multivan with 4Motion which is a part-time on-demand 4WD system. It has a mild lift kit and bash plates.
VW_River_Crossing copy.jpg

The factory layout includes the reversible 2nd-row seating and the table. I've added the rear storage/kitchen which also forms part of the sleeping platform.
VW_Interior copy.jpgVW_Bed_Rear copy.jpg

Attachments

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
If you are asking about the exterior color, yes. That was when it was plasti dipped, now it is painted orange but we are considering dipping it again. Not only was the exterior maintenance easier, we never had any condensation issues when the van was dipped. The plasti dip lasted about 5 years but we could have just redipped part of the van, the pop top had rubbed the dip off the roof and it was peeling off the rain gutters, instead of peeling it all off. Knowing what we do now we'd use something like an RV or boat product on the pop top and van roof and dip from the rain gutters down to the bedliner.

Sinclair - 1.jpg

Edited to add another exterior photo:
2022051014445505-3296405133200503684-IMG_1922-L.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If you are asking about the exterior color, yes. That was when it was plasti dipped, now it is painted orange but we are considering dipping it again. Not only was the exterior maintenance easier, we never had any condensation issues when the van was dipped. The plasti dip lasted about 5 years but we could have just redipped part of the van, the pop top had rubbed the dip off the roof and it was peeling off the rain gutters, instead of peeling it all off. Knowing what we do now we'd use something like an RV or boat product on the pop top and van roof and dip from the rain gutters down to the bedliner.

View attachment 264838

Edited to add another exterior photo:
View attachment 264839
Big fan of orange. Nothing rhymes with it, it stands out and is a Halloween color.

Stovebolt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

So. MD
First Name
John
Last Name
Milliman
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
New member checking in with my 2014 Ford E-350 Quigley. It's a simple build out as the van has to work as well as play. So my interior is spartan and rapidly reconfigurable. For off-roading, I have all the amenities -- bunk, stove, cooler, toilet, place to organize clothing, water and fuel storage, onboard generator, winch (can go either front or back), tool storage ... etc.

Attachments