Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I carry in my pocket a legally sized knife in Europe and nothing is needed in Saudi Arabia. I travel and camp with kids and the last thing I need is a gun around. Overall, there was never an issue requiring a weapon all my life while overlanding. The only times my life was in danger (3 times) is when I was living and working in London, UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: danwyandt

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've needed them.

But my primary is a can of bear spray on my back packs left shoulder strap. Works on people and bears.

You have to keep in mind, a pistol might not be too effective on bear. And you're going to hesitate, because it's most likely a bluff charge.

With spray, you don't have to hesitate, and everyone goes home safe. With a foot long nose, spray is more effective than my Glock 23. But at $50/can, it's expensive.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I carry in my pocket a legally sized knife in Europe and nothing is needed in Saudi Arabia. I travel and camp with kids and the last thing I need is a gun around. Overall, there was never an issue requiring a weapon all my life while overlanding. The only times my life was in danger (3 times) is when I was living and working in London, UK.
Not a lot of large predators or bears in Saudi :)

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not a lot of large predators or bears in Saudi :)
Correct. And zero crimes as well. All people here are very friendly and very helpful. If they see you stopped in the middle of the desert you will get lots to ask if you need any help from nowhere.

Reactions: DaleRF

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Correct. And zero crimes as well. All people here are very friendly and very helpful. If they see you stopped in the middle of the desert you will get lots to ask if you need any help from nowhere.
I had a friend who was a contractor in Riyadh and he also told me how friendly everyone was and that safety was never an issue. It shocked him coming from Johannesburg, South Africa, which is basically the opposite end of the spectrum in all aspects. I bet you see some amazing overland vehicles!

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I had a friend who was a contractor in Riyadh and he also told me how friendly everyone was and that safety was never an issue. It shocked him coming from Johannesburg, South Africa, which is basically the opposite end of the spectrum in all aspects. I bet you see some amazing overland vehicles!
Yes. Fully agree.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Yes. Fully agree.
The current state of South Africa is basically an enormous dumpster fire of so many deeply ingrained complicated issues. Very sad. He was telling me about load shedding and how the power is off for 10+ hours a day sometimes for multiple days a week. I guess their only power company, Eskom, has not been maintained in years and is run by corrupt people. Any extra power they make they sell to Zimbabwe. I have thought about joining a few UK friends on an overlanding trip to South Africa, but I am told it's just not safe at all. I plan to stay put in the US. ;-)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Considered working there. And I believe a local factory makes generators perfect for their grid.

Not enough hazard pay.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The powerplant woes aren't just incompetence anymore.

It's politically motivated. I'd be lynched for helping solve the problem. Their down powerplants, is like our open southern border. They keep passing the buck down to the next politician. Nobody wants to solve the problem, and they can't allow their political opponent solve the issue, at any cost.

It's a good lesson to show us how partisan politics can quickly snowball into the complete destruction of an entire nation.

It's a shame. Every other day would be hardcore overlanding, and paid for.

$2.6 billion power market this year in Africa. $100 billion by 2032. We can't even meet gen labor demands in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

The powerplant woes aren't just incompetence anymore.

It's politically motivated. I'd be lynched for helping solve the problem. Their down powerplants, is like our open southern border. They keep passing the buck down to the next politician. Nobody wants to solve the problem, and they can't allow their political opponent solve the issue, at any cost.

It's a good lesson to show us how partisan politics can quickly snowball into the complete destruction of an entire nation.

It's a shame. Every other day would be hardcore overlanding, and paid for.

$2.6 billion power market this year in Africa. $100 billion by 2032. We can't even meet gen labor demands in the US.
Thanks for that perspective. I knew it was bad, and likely caused by what you describe above, but that is just so sad. I hope the US can learn this lesson, but lately I am not so sure.