Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
What is SKIFF ? Is corrosion X a new product ? I havent been to a sporting goods store or gun show in the last 10 years and not up to date on products.I'm just an old scool gun guy.
Another name for Skiff is a pole raft... in other words his mossburg was his boat gun for hunting.

Corrosion X is the new Hopps... better at cleaning and preventing corrosion than the old Hopps, grease is now recommended on moving gun parts instead of oil as well... I’m not sure but I think you can get it at Walmart in the sporting section... I personally get it from my dads supply.

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

The skiff was the small boat we kept on deck of the big boat.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Another name for Skiff is a pole raft... in other words his mossburg was his boat gun for hunting.

Corrosion X is the new Hopps... better at cleaning and preventing corrosion than the old Hopps, grease is now recommended on moving gun parts instead of oil as well... I’m not sure but I think you can get it at Walmart in the sporting section... I personally get it from my dads supply.
Oh yeah, a skiff is a boat, as in flat bottom or small boat that some bigger boats pull from behind I'm guessing. As a kid we called them row boats.

I've always used grease on moving parts and clean after use on moving parts. I only clean barrels after many rounds have been fired through it or when I think it's been contaminated with dirt or water.

I bet my hopps is 50 years old. Sewing machine oil and gun grease may be older.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The skiff was the small boat we kept on deck of the big boat.

Gotcha now, it just didn't ring a bell in this old noggin. Corrosion x sounds great for firearm usage. I'm just lucky to live in an arid part of the country where rust (other than surface rust) is just not an issue we have to deal with if you keep things lightly oiled with maybe wd40. Thanks for the reply.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I've always used grease on moving parts and clean after use on moving parts. I only clean barrels after many rounds have been fired through it or when I think it's been contaminated with dirt or water.

I bet my hopps is 50 years old. Sewing machine oil and gun grease may be older.
I use at least a quart of Hoppes every year so my bottle isn't even close to being 50. I do however have empty bottles of Hoppes that are that old and maybe older.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I use CLP to clean with (Clean lube protect) and use axle grease on anything that moves. I don’t clean mine that often, so the axle grease will keep things lubed up for longer. The gun oil I’ve found drys up a lot quicker. So ill use a drop on a trigger but its mainly grease. Its weather proof. -60 degree still can use it, extremely high temps.

A round can of axle grease will last for ever with the amount used but it works. Might add some oil on a bolt here and there but its pretty minimal

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Plenty of "eh" information in here on steel cased ammo.

Excessive stoppages. I have had a 2009 lot of WOLF when it was still manufactured by Tula that caused a lot of issues. This was a known bad lot that had bad annealing on the cases. But if you are having consistent issues with steel case in general, there's something wrong with your rifle or pistol. My firearms live on a nearly an exclusive diet of steel cased ammo. I keep a small stock of brass cased for ranges that don't allow steel but I don't shoot much brass cased ammo though anything. This is high volume training classes and competition very few failures.

Excessive wear. While there is evidence that steel cased ammo causes more wear for various reasons, very few shooters are going to ever hit the round counts needed to shoot out a barrel or wear an extractor out. If you are talking about the lucky gunner ammo test they used a wholly unrealistic firing schedule unless you shoot some full auto stuff. They shot those guns fast and hot and once you get them hot like that you experience erosion at a much higher rate. Even with thier unrealistic firing schedule you'd still save enough money to buy a few barrels for something like an AR or a GLOCK.

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I don't own a gun to kill people.

I own a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.

I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't own a gun because I'm paranoid.

I own a gun because there are real threats in the world..

I don't own a gun because I'm evil.

I own a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't own a gun because I hate the government.

I own a gun because I understand the limitations of government..

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.

I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.

I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't own a gun to make me feel like a man.

I own a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.

I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I refuse to be a victim of any predator, 2 legged or 4. Every one has their right to choose their position when it comes to firearms. My choice is known. If my carrying a firearm on the trail makes you uncomfortable, then your next choice is do you join me or travel another course? There are no strangers to me on the trail, just wheeling partners I haven't met yet. I will welcome anyone to share my adventures.
Might have to borrow this, as it perfectly explains my position as well. Hope you don't mind.

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I won't own a gun that is picky about ammo. The AK and Mosin are on an almost strictly surplus diet. I have never cleaned the rounds before use. My friends and I refer to it as cat piss ammo because that is what the spent casings smell like.
Same here, I shoot steel cased Barnaul ammo out of my AK exclusively. I buy it in one thousand round cases. Part of that is due to the availability of brass cased 7.62x39 and the other part is that it works well. I've never had a malfunction while shooting that ammo. I highly recommend it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Reloading drills on my new trunk gun.

And first shots from my retro build

Your slow motion emphases showed a very steady hand. I saw no movement in the firearm once you had it on target.
Both nice weapons. Are either 30 caliber or 223 ? I have no semi auto's big bores any longer. I passed one to my grandson and one (my new Springfield MI 30-06 from Federal marksmanship program) to my youngest Marine son who knows very well how to use it. I still have plenty of self defense weapons left, just not semi autos other than small bore and shot gun.

Reactions: Downs

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Both are 5.56/.223
Great caliber with lots of speed and excellent trajectory. It's proved it's ability for accuracy and kill rate as well. When I was a kid they wouldn't let you hunt with any 22 caliber rifles for deer and larger. I had a 220 swift in those days and as good as it was I couldn't use it for big game. Are you allowed to hunt deer with your 223 firearms ? What about the round limitations, do you have a magazine that only holds 5 rounds ?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I havent hunted in years. Im in Texas and if things are still the same you can use any centerfire caliber no magazine limit unless you're hunting migratory game birds.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I havent hunted in years. Im in Texas and if things are still the same you can use any centerfire caliber no magazine limit unless you're hunting migratory game birds.
I'm a Texan, (not currently living there) there are limits on the number of rounds a gun can hold when your hunting. 3 rounds for any game bird shot gun and 5 rounds in any center fire. No limit on 22's. Both shot gun and rifle must have plugs to limit the number of rounds the firearm can hold.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm a Texan, (not currently living there) there are limits on the number of rounds a gun can hold when your hunting. 3 rounds for any game bird shot gun and 5 rounds in any center fire. No limit on 22's. Both shot gun and rifle must have plugs to limit the number of rounds the firearm can hold.

Firearms

Game animals and non-migratory game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

Rimfire Ammunition (of any caliber) may NOT be used to hunt white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, or pronghorn.

Fully Automatic Firearms

Shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used during spring Eastern turkey season.

Magazine Capacity (number of shells/cartridges allowed): there are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).

Muzzleloader: any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle (as opposed to breech-loading firearms). A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

Suppressors (aka “silencers”): may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Like I said it's been a while but the last I hunted deer I researched it and was using an SKS at the time and remember loading it to capacity. The only birds I ever hunted around where I grew up were dove and had the 3 shot plug in the shotgun.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Like I said it's been a while but the last I hunted deer I researched it and was using an SKS at the time and remember loading it to capacity. The only birds I ever hunted around where I grew up were dove and had the 3 shot plug in the shotgun.
Thanks for the update. I haven't hunted Texas since the 70's. They have changed the rules on number of center fire cartridge's it seems (probably because of so many semi auto's now day's) and the numbers of shells a shot gun can have for quail being any amount. The old rules were 3 loads for all birds regardless of migratory or not.