Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

Anyone ever use LED strip lighting to light up the inside of a truck bed with camper shell?
Not yet but this may be my next step in lighting may even do it this weekend after turkey day. O yea w that said. To all of the OB community if you are traveling, have a safe trip and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING much love to all your families and may the overlanding gods keep you safe and watch over your travels.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

frenchytoast

Rank 0

Traveler I

For pillar light like that I would recommend either flood or cornering lights if your gonna run them sideways as ditch lights or spot lights if you plan to use them as foreword facing lights. I run Baja Designs XL80's on the pillars of my Ram and I run the spot pattern to insure there is no hood glare

frenchytoast

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anyone ever use LED strip lighting to light up the inside of a truck bed with camper shell?
I have not used LED strip lighting in the bed before but a good really bright alternative is using a KC Highlights Cyclone or two. there is tons of output for a very cheap cost ($20 dollars or so)

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
good call, how do you prevent the interference with the radios?

btw im also planning on running the 50" LED bar lights on the roof and a 20" bar on my bumper (eventually)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Others have already alluded to this, but go with the bumper light first. The 50" bar whistles like crazy on a JK. You will find all kinds of remedies like caulk, wire, isolators, etc. in the grooves to help but it will always be an issue. You get zero hood glare from a bumper light too.

One other thing is that at least in my state, it is illegal to use any light on the road that sits more than 42" off the ground. I don't suggest using a light bar on the road. However, I live in the country and late at night I will use a light bar to help me spot any suicidal deer waiting to jump out in front of me. I got pulled over by a game warden one night for using my 50" because he thought I was out poaching. Fortunately I didn't have a rifle in my vehicle. Thankfully I got a lecture instead of a ticket and he told me I would have been ok if I was using something lower than 42".

I have yet to do any nighttime trail running but I am curious as to what kind of lighting is necessary and functional for this sort of activity. Especially in the summer, I can see how running trails at night could be a lot of fun. I can also see how it would be treacherous.

Reactions: kandyredcoi