Laptop Briefcase for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

This may not be the best place for this post but I am about to pull the trigger on a 15” MacBook Pro and need a larger briefcase/bag for it. I’m looking for something more rugged, functional and durable with good protection. Not some for the office but some for camp, trailer or in the truck. I’ve looked at a couple tactical brief cases but I don’t “carry” so I don’t need it to accommodate a holster. Canvas or something similar wood be good. As for looks, just something that looks like it belongs outdoors. Not the office. Any suggestions?

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

Thanks. I should have been more clear. By "protection" I simply meant a decent padded sleeve/compartment. But I don't need a hardside. I'm looking for a softside bag/brief that will hold my 15" MBP, power adapter, external battery, a couple connection cables, etc. Though its most important function is to hold, organize and to some degree protect my computer gear, I'll also be using it for my EDC bag. When I go to a coffee shop to work or on the rare occasion where I go into an office it will be my "briefcase".

Also wondering about ballistic nylon vs cotton or polyester "canvas". Some leather is OK but it will get beat up. I've looked at bags from Waterfield Design but they are dang expensive. Also looking at bags from 5.11 Tactical, Drago Gear and others. Some of the stuff on Amazon look like it was built in China.

The Got To Go bag from Blue Ridge Overland looks interesting as it is modular and has the looks and versatility I am looking for. But I would need to kit it out with protection for my computer and maybe a couple of pockets or pouches for organization. I also don't need nor do I want the lumbar bad as this would never be something I would carry hiking or fishing or whatever.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Here at our house, we have had a succession of Booq Viper hard cases. They are foam reinforced nylon covered sleeves. Even Deb's big 17" MBP had zero damage when it fell down three concrete steps. Both daughters used Booq sachets for computers during college. I find them well made, good looking, and reasonably priced for a USA made product.

https://www.booqbags.com/products/viper-hardcase-13-inch-macbook-protective-case

I keep the charging cable, along with phone chargers and bricks, earbuds, battery extenders, Kindle charger cables, etc. all in another small nylon bag.

macbook-case-VHC13-GFT1_2c1c77b4-4393-4c10-8383-0c5dfc15135e_800x.jpeg macbook-case-VHC13-GFT7_f07fea43-e6ab-452d-baa9-6129c0476d97_800x.jpeg

[EDIT] Crap, sorry, you said 15" MBP, and they don't make that size any more. Here's all they make for the 15", and I don't think any of those are what you are looking for.

You might search Amazon for Booq Viper and see if any vendor still has the 15" size if this style appeals to you.

[EDIT again] Here's a 15" on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2EdF9my

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

danrhiggins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, co
Member #

Thanks for the try! I’ll look into it in any “case” (pun intended). I’ve decided to go with the 5.11 Tactical Rush Delivery Lima bag but have the computer in a sleeve or hard case like you show. I’ll check out Booq

Reactions: Steve