jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
So the wife said I can’t build up our new 4Runner but she did give me the ok to buy a new rig! So Being a new Toyota owner I’m gonna try and stray away from getting a disco but I’ve seen quit a bit 91-93 land cruisers for sale with decently low miles for a reasonable price is there a reason why no one wants them? Is there some issues that go on with those? Cuz if there good to go I’ll cop one ASAP lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

In 93 you get the 4.5 liter straight six plus factory front and rear lockers. I've heard 91 and 92 80 series as being for "enthusiasts" only. I'd stick with a 93 or older.... or get a 100 series ;)
It’s hard to find a decent 100 series but I noticed you can get a 91 or 92 with atleast a Rear locker and the 4.0 engine I just don’t see many of them is all

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

The late 90, 91 - 92 has the 3Fe and the same Trans as the 62 Series, but that 80 is roughly 800 lbs heavier than the 62. The 4.5 Liter was an improved powerplant, and more units were shipped the factory installed Lockers and Rear-window sliders. The other benefit of 93 forward is improved Coil-overs. The 100 Series V8 really improved the overall performance. You can find low-mileage Lexus LX470, for about a 1/3rd the price of a Toyota LC.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/2002-lexus-lx-470-awd-3-row/6528599407.html

Last edited:

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The late 90, 91 - 92 has the 3Fe and the same Trans as the 62 Series, but that 80 is roughly 800 lbs heavier than the 62. The 4.5 Liter was an improved powerplant, and more units were shipped the factory installed Lockers and Rear-window sliders. The other benefit of 93 forward is improved Coil-overs. The 100 Series V8 really improved the overall performance. You can find low-mileage Lexus LX470, for about a 1/3rd the price of a Toyota LC.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/2002-lexus-lx-470-awd-3-row/6528599407.html
David, what’s the story on needed engine maintenance on one of those at 210K?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

David, what’s the story on needed engine maintenance on one of those at 210K?
RainGoat, I can only speak for our 3Fe, it's got over 300K on it, at 200K, for extended life we had the timing chain replaced, new valve cover gaskets, all new hoses, and belts. It was money well spent. I really should have pulled the motor and had the rear main replaced - but didn't... The 4.5 is a great engine.

Reactions: jhewitt03

Contributor III

I would cross the 91 and 92 off your list. Yes they are priced lower, but the weaker engine and smaller brakes will give you buyers remorse. Also, its extremely difficult to find lockers on the 91 and 92's. However they came standard with a center diff lock which is great. The engine is bulletproof but you wont get anywhere fast especially if its fitted with 33's and armor.

100's are still underpriced and are a great deal, especially the 98-99 years since 99% of them came standard with center diff lock and rear diff lock. pair that up with their stronger motor that can easily handle 33's and 35's and you have a solid canvas to work with. I say this from experience. I owned a fully built 93 and it was great but still slow up hills. sold it and now own a 99 with center and rear diff lock.

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
I would cross the 91 and 92 off your list. Yes they are priced lower, but the weaker engine and smaller brakes will give you buyers remorse. Also, its extremely difficult to find lockers on the 91 and 92's. However they came standard with a center diff lock which is great. The engine is bulletproof but you wont get anywhere fast especially if its fitted with 33's and armor.

100's are still underpriced and are a great deal, especially the 98-99 years since 99% of them came standard with center diff lock and rear diff lock. pair that up with their stronger motor that can easily handle 33's and 35's and you have a solid canvas to work with. I say this from experience. I owned a fully built 93 and it was great but still slow up hills. sold it and now own a 99 with center and rear diff lock.
Yes upon doing some research I noticed that the 91 and 92 is extremely under powered but I feel like the fj80s are all underpowered for the size rig it is it’d be nice to get that V8 in a 100 series I don’t really mind if it’s slow I just want it to be reliable I know a few people with a 95-97 LC and they refuse to die is that the case with 91-92 LC?

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
I had a 97 FZJ80 and it was unstoppable. The big things to look out for on the 80's are front axle seal wear (aka birf soup), the PHH (pesky heater hose) on the engine block, my rear hear lines rotted out so I bypassed that, head gaskets on high mileage rigs (all of them), and maybe a valve cover gasket. I had no issues with my motor, other than the PHH. When I sold it, it had 262,000mi on it and she showed no signs of stopping. Oh, the other issue they get are deteriorating window seals. My windshield leaked, sunroof leaked, and rear sliders leaked. And if you get an 80 with lockers that's not being sold by an enthusiast, assume that they've seldom been used (let alone 4lo) and they might stick a bit or need to be rebuilt. An you definitely want an FZJ with the better motor. They are slow and only get slower with the 3fe engine. That's my 2-5 cents

Reactions: JCruise

NicholsPack

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carrollton, VA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Nicholson
Member #

93-94 have the benefits of OBD1, no airbags, but some rear axles are semi float instead of full float. The semi floats have drums and the full float have 4 wheel disk brakes. The OBD1 makes it easier to remove EGR system and some other less effective emissions systems. When you replace your birfield joints, you will also have to update the drive flange to the 95-97 style as the OEM 93-94 is not supported (extra $70 a side).

95-97 have airbags, OBD2, easier to remove headliner, and it seems like more commonly found lockers, but that could just be regional for me. The OBD2 makes it easier to apply mild boost. There are not many turbo manifolds out there, but the ECU can handle a little north of 5lbs of boost without need to replace injectors/fuel pump, which really seems to improve its power band in higher elevations.

All 80’s suffer from age related issues. Gaskets, rust, leaks to one extent or another. Do some research ahead of time to save you heartache in the long run!

Ol Red

Rank 0

Traveler I

I currently have a 97 LC with E-lockers front and rear. I haven't made any major modifications but rather been fixing the leaks and getting the cooling system all dialed in before I start really throwing money into it. I bought the vehicle with intentions of touring with it and learning to wrench on it. I did a ton of research on the 80 series and grew to love them. They're simple to work on and relentless on the trails. I'm not a person of comfort so I don't need all the bells and whistles but I like to stay dry and warm if possible. So ask yourself what you really plan on using it for and also if your wife is going to be up for riding in it. It's not a new 4runner, haha.