Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Okinawa, Japan
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Niitani
Member #

Hello everyone! I just picked up my 1999 Land Cruiser HDJ101k and starting to look forward to building it. It currently has a 3rd party dealer add on from Toyopet Japan. The platform in the back comes with a small sink and gas burner. I am starting to put a list together of stuff I want to add but wanted to share my overall starting point with this rig. I was fortunate enough for mine to come with a factory cooler box and tv so I am looking to expand are fridge options since my wife has agreed to start going out more in this versus my other vehicle I would love some inputs for some fridges to add in from the 12L-20L sizes. And and bonus info for some roof rack options.

Thanks for checking it out and hope to update you all more

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That´s a great rig, awesome basis for an overlanding rig.

Regarding the fridge, well it is always a balancing between power draw/size/price. As you are looking for a smaller one, I would go for a small compressor fridge, does not take up to much space and has low draw from tghe battery. I have a 27 liter Engel compresssor fridge box in the Landy. The Engel fridges are legendary and very reliable. Mine is 8 years old now, used often, sometimes running over months. No issues so far. It works fine for us traveling with two people, no matter how long the trip is. What is important to me, for example, is that large water bottles fit upright inside.

I'm looking forward to your build. Enjoy.

Reactions: KuroGin

KuroGin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Okinawa, Japan
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Niitani
Member #

That´s a great rig, awesome basis for an overlanding rig.

Regarding the fridge, well it is always a balancing between power draw/size/price. As you are looking for a smaller one, I would go for a small compressor fridge, does not take up to much space and has low draw from tghe battery. I have a 27 liter Engel compresssor fridge box in the Landy. The Engel fridges are legendary and very reliable. Mine is 8 years old now, used often, sometimes running over months. No issues so far. It works fine for us traveling with two people, no matter how long the trip is. What is important to me, for example, is that large water bottles fit upright inside.

I'm looking forward to your build. Enjoy.
I will check those out thank you !

Reactions: El-Dracho

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Brandon,

Looking forward for your build as well. The diesel Landcruisers are my favorite off road vehicle. I have built an 80 series overland vehicle and now building a troopy. Happy to help if you need anything.

I recommend National Luna or Snow Master.

What engine is installed?

Cheers

--ofer

AdamSmith

Rank I

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Smith
Hello everyone! I just picked up my 1999 Land Cruiser HDJ101k and starting to look forward to building it. It currently has a 3rd party dealer add on from Toyopet Japan. The platform in the back comes with a small sink and gas burner. I am starting to put a list together of stuff I want to add but wanted to share my overall starting point with this rig. I was fortunate enough for mine to come with a factory cooler box and tv so I am looking to expand are fridge options since my wife has agreed to start going out more in this versus my other vehicle I would love some inputs for some fridges to add in from the 12L-20L sizes. And and bonus info for some roof rack options.

Nice, I love it. I love your choice <3

Reactions: KuroGin

KuroGin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Okinawa, Japan
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Niitani
Member #

Nice, I love it. I love your choice <3
Thanks ! Just went out with my buddy the other day and got some cool beach pictures

Attachments

KuroGin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Okinawa, Japan
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Niitani
Member #

Brandon,

Looking forward for your build as well. The diesel Landcruisers are my favorite off road vehicle. I have built an 80 series overland vehicle and now building a troopy. Happy to help if you need anything.

I recommend National Luna or Snow Master.

What engine is installed?

Cheers

--ofer
Hi sorry for late reply I have the 1HD-FTE

Reactions: Ob1