Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Alright, who is doing the rain dance? Desoto NF is showing scattered thunderstorms all week and through the weekend

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Waaaaay more fun when it’s a little wet!
That's all the encouragement I need! Just got back from the store with the weekend's rations. I'm glad I checked my CB when I got home, because it looks like I left the batteries in it last time I used it. It's corrosion city over here! Absolutely ruined the battery compartment and there's no way I can get replacement parts in time. Does anyone have experience with the Cobra units from Walmart? Its looking like I'll have to pick up something tomorrow

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

That's all the encouragement I need! Just got back from the store with the weekend's rations. I'm glad I checked my CB when I got home, because it looks like I left the batteries in it last time I used it. It's corrosion city over here! Absolutely ruined the battery compartment and there's no way I can get replacement parts in time. Does anyone have experience with the Cobra units from Walmart? Its looking like I'll have to pick up something tomorrow
Just went out last night it is pretty sloppy out there right now. IMG_0654.JPG

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Just went out last night it is pretty sloppy out there right now.
Did those other two go with you? They must not have been as adventurous as you if they did! :tonguewink:

Think it's too sloppy for a 4wd Grand Cherokee on 33" Cooper AT3s?

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Did those other two go with you? They must not have been as adventurous as you if they did! :tonguewink:

Think it's too sloppy for a 4wd Grand Cherokee on 33" Cooper AT3s?
Nah you should be fine. I was leading and it was dark haha.

Reactions: PicNick

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Weather permitting, the future wife and I are planning on hitting up Desoto this weekend. We'll be headed that way after she gets off of work on Friday and most likely going to camp at Fairley Bridge landing/cg that night. Not sure how long we're gonna be out there, but we're planning on doing day hikes when we're not driving. If anyone is in the area, feel free to hit me up! I should have my CB with me on the OB channel. Anyone know some good trails to hit up?
I am planning a trip for November, if you have any information about DeSoto NF please let me know. Looking online and iOverlander, not getting any good vibe though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I am planning a trip for November, if you have any information about DeSoto NF please let me know. Looking online and iOverlander, not getting any good vibe though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If I were you, I'd get the premium membership to Gaia GPS and load up the MVUM, Public Lands, and Satellite with Labels layers and go exploring. There's no definite trail to go down, but it's also mostly gravel, sand, and clay roads throughout. There's a couple of members on here that could give more info on the area. We only spent last night there at Fairley Bridge landing and cannonballed some of the forest service roads before the storm hit

Reactions: Cwilli17

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

If I were you, I'd get the premium membership to Gaia GPS and load up the MVUM, Public Lands, and Satellite with Labels layers and go exploring. There's no definite trail to go down, but it's also mostly gravel, sand, and clay roads throughout. There's a couple of members on here that could give more info on the area. We only spent last night there at Fairley Bridge landing and cannonballed some of the forest service roads before the storm hit
Done deal. thanks for the advice. Here is the video on the area.

Cwilli17

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Purvis, MS
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I’m just now getting into overlanding but not new to off-roading I guess. I’ve been a forester for about 10 years so in a way I adventure everyday. If I have the time I would love to come to a meetup. I live in Hattiesburg, MS.
I’m in Hattiesburg as well! I ride at least once a week most weeks. Give me a shout if you want to ride.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Howdy! Just came across this thread, been away from OB for a while. I lived out west, my current home is in the northeast, but I’m spending a bit of time in LA now. Looking for a few places to just drive, nothing technical or rock climbing related. I see the Kisatchie forest is likely a nice place, and someone on the thread posted some pics camping with his daughter. I think it’s closed during the winter months.

Anyway, I’m in Shreveport area. Nice to be down here, even if I am a yankee. Haha!

-David (OB#0001)

Reactions: Cwilli17

PicNick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

Howdy! Just came across this thread, been away from OB for a while. I lived out west, my current home is in the northeast, but I’m spending a bit of time in LA now. Looking for a few places to just drive, nothing technical or rock climbing related. I see the Kisatchie forest is likely a nice place, and someone on the thread posted some pics camping with his daughter. I think it’s closed during the winter months.

Anyway, I’m in Shreveport area. Nice to be down here, even if I am a yankee. Haha!

-David (OB#0001)
A lot of the trails in Kisatchie are seasonal. We do a bit of backpacking in the forest and most of the trail markers show what days the trail is open. The MVUM for the forest districts have a legend on the bottom with when which trail is open for planning your route. A large portion of them close for a couple months through the year.
That being said, there are a couple of decent trails out there if you're willing to do some exploring. My wife and I are wanting to go and find a couple routes that would be open during different seasons (one for winter, one for fall, etc) since the area really isn't mapped out for oveflanding

Reactions: finlayforprez