Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. For my brother and I my dad got 2 weeks off a year (6 or 7 day work weeks the rest of the year) and we went camping when he had time off. Those 2 weeks from age 4 to 14 for me are absolutely burned into my memory. Learning how to fish, build a fire, shoot a pellet gun, pitch a tent, cook over a fire, whittle wood, make a smore, hike (and not get lost) and even play board games and poker; memories I cherish. Now, these days my schedule isn't nearly like it was for my dad. But, unless we go camping together the afore mentioned activities don't happen. After all, Fortnite with his friends takes precedence.

So for me, my son comes along until he doesn't want to. I feel like my wife and I will have more than enough time together when the boy flies the coupe. I hope he looks as fondly on his memories as I do mine when he gets to be a parent himself and carries on the tradition.

-Curtiss

martin_j001

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawrenceville, GA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Martin
Member #

We took our daughter camping for the first time when she was a little over a year old. We were pretty strict with her schedule, as she responded very well to that (we were very lucky and she would sleep the whole night through by about 2-3 months old), so we didn't want to rush anything that could change that schedule. She's now 2.5yrs old, and we're going to spend a good bit of time camping this fall, hopefully. We do the RV sites with a big tent and the possibility to run an electric heater if needed, so as long as our neighbors aren't too rowdy, keeping her on her schedule should still work for us, we hope.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

We take our 2yo camping all the time. When we aren't camping, she's talking about camping and asking when we are going again. I get a lot of joy out of watching explore around our campsite.
That is our soon to be 4yrs old daughter lol, every once in a while she will ask about going camping! If we saw soon or not now she gets really sad lol. Which is great cause we want them to enjoy, and look forward to it.

Reactions: MOAK and MA_Trooper

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Take them babies, feed 'em dirt and ditch the electronic devices.....
It builds immune systems, independence, physical strength, cardio endurance, problem solving skills and just a great overall build of a healthy and strong human being.
Don't cheat them the chance to better than their peers....

JKel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Suwanee, GA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

I bring the kids with me, my wife doesn’t like to camp, so it’s usually just us in the 2-door Jeep. Still have room, taking just what we need, but the kiddo in the back has to share some room with gear. [emoji12] (oh, and kids love water crossings. Doesn’t matter the depth)

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've been taking my grandsons out since the oldest was 7. Now at 10 and 14 they both go with us into the woods every summer. Two spring breaks ago they did the White Rim Trail and the Needles with us for 6 nights. As long as they are stationed stateside we will be doing this with them at least every summer. I hope to give them memories of the back country experience that this old buckeye farm boy doesn't have. Leave em at home? Before you know it they'll be grown and gone.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Take them babies, feed 'em dirt and ditch the electronic devices.....
It builds immune systems, independence, physical strength, cardio endurance, problem solving skills and just a great overall build of a healthy and strong human being.
Don't cheat them the chance to better than their peers....
You didn't mention how some hard physical labor helps too. I'm amazed at how many people don't even know how to use a shovel, hammer or axe properly.. I'm gonna go back out this morning and split some more firewood, by hand, using axe, maul, medium size sledge hammer and wedges..

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

You didn't mention how some hard physical labor helps too. I'm amazed at how many people don't even know how to use a shovel, hammer or axe properly.. I'm gonna go back out this morning and split some more firewood, by hand, using axe, maul, medium size sledge hammer and wedges..
We lived a while in a cabin on 60+ acres of forest land. I loved the ritual of splitting wood, building the fire. Skills I learned as a kid on the farm, but had to dust off to keep my family warm. My oldest is autistic and wanted to learn the skill but sometimes autistic kids have muscle development issues, not to mention coordination problems. The axe was plainly a bad idea lol. He still isn't quite over the disappointment.

Reactions: MOAK and Laud

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We lived a while in a cabin on 60+ acres of forest land. I loved the ritual of splitting wood, building the fire. Skills I learned as a kid on the farm, but had to dust off to keep my family warm. My oldest is autistic and wanted to learn the skill but sometimes autistic kids have muscle development issues, not to mention coordination problems. The axe was plainly a bad idea lol. He still isn't quite over the disappointment.
My young friend and neighbor is very high on the spectrum. He is mature now and is learning to use tools quite well. He drives his car, etc etc etc,, and we have some wonderful operating sessions on my railroad. Give it time. On a much lighter note, my lovely wife still enjoys watching me partake in physical labor, such as spliting wood.. !!

Reactions: Justinwrites