Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Hey all, I have used for some time a Kelly Kettle (sometimes called a Storm Kettle). This piece of kit boils water in no time at all with very little "fuel". They come in a range of sizes too. Please bear with me as this is my first ever Forum thread. I'm new and learning.

2017-01-18-10-33-29--777632917.jpg

KettleCutaway2-400x433.gif

Here is a picture which shows how they work.

Has anyone else used these before? Good / bad experiences?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hi Keith, and welcome aboard.

Interesting that you asked this, as I was going to ask the same question of the members yesterday, and forgot. I really like the idea of the self-contained fire and kettle. Plus it doesn't need fuel canisters like my JetBoil. I'll be interested to see if anyone has experience with one.

By the way, I moved this thread from the "Contribute an Article" section to the "Camp Q&A" section.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

It looks like its more designed to be a compact all in one cooking arrangement for hiking, when space really matters. But if you have to build a fire anyway, why not make a regular campfire that would allow more cooking? If you're going for a minimalist kit, than this might be a good choice. I prefer more fire though.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

It looks like its more designed to be a compact all in one cooking arrangement for hiking, when space really matters. But if you have to build a fire anyway, why not make a regular campfire that would allow more cooking? If you're going for a minimalist kit, than this might be a good choice. I prefer more fire though.
I think you have the wrong idea about the Kelly Kettle. It's not a cooking device, it only boils water but it will do so with a few twigs and leaves. This all happens in minutes. it's extremely lightweight too.

Reactions: Steve

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I think you have the wrong idea about the Kelly Kettle. It's not a cooking device, it only boils water but it will do so with a few twigs and leaves. This all happens in minutes. it's extremely lightweight too.
I went to their website, and most of what they showed were kits which allowed you to cook with a "hobo" stove in addition to just boiling water.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I went to their website, and most of what they showed were kits which allowed you to cook with a "hobo" stove in addition to just boiling water.
When I bought mine it was designed for simply boiling water. I guess nowadays they have desided to diversify and figure out other uses for the kettle. I assume this product is not for you. I bought mine for the ability to have hot water for drinks whilst conducting forestry work.

Reactions: Steve

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

That's a neat product. If I ever decide I want a jet boil I would probably get this instead. I hate having to carry and purchase fuel canisters.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I like this idea.. But honestly I'm lazy and have tons of storage room in my truck bed so I carry 2 20 lb propane tanks for heating pretty much anything. Looks like a cool product though.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

I have a version called the Backcountry Boiler.

https://backcountryboiler.com/

It is a limited product in that it only boils water but it does it really well. You can start a twig fire in it and very quickly get about a liter of boiling water. That's great for rehydrating food or sterilizing water. It is compact, light and rugged so perfect for longer backwoods adventures where you don't want to carry tons of fuel (human powered exploration).

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I have a version called the Backcountry Boiler.

https://backcountryboiler.com/

It is a limited product in that it only boils water but it does it really well. You can start a twig fire in it and very quickly get about a liter of boiling water. That's great for rehydrating food or sterilizing water. It is compact, light and rugged so perfect for longer backwoods adventures where you don't want to carry tons of fuel (human powered exploration).
Actually you can buy an attachment which fits in thr top to enable you to cook on it.

ck_k150_kelly_kettle_cookset__2.jpg

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I'm a big fan of traditional equipment. On most trips we often explore the area either taking in a mountain peak, finding a hidden waterfall, secluded beach or an ancient relic. Most times it's full days hike and we normally take some form of cooking, emergency food and shelter in case something goes wrong. I like the idea of being able to boil water and heat food at the same time. Might give one of these a try as not completely satisfied with the Biolite stove we use currently.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I'm a big fan of traditional equipment. On most trips we often explore the area either taking in a mountain peak, finding a hidden waterfall, secluded beach or an ancient relic. Most times it's full days hike and we normally take some form of cooking, emergency food and shelter in case something goes wrong. I like the idea of being able to boil water and heat food at the same time. Might give one of these a try as not completely satisfied with the Biolite stove we use currently.
I only use mine for boiling water. used to use it a lot when I was doing Forestry. strangely there were always a ready supply of twigs.

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

I have a Kelly Kettle ultimate scout kit in my truck... it's awesome.

I keep a zip lock bag of food safe wood pellets with it & it burns forever.

—————————

Hey Now!

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have one.. I had a fire going in it and it kept dying out, a few times.. Not sure why as it was during summer with dry timber.. My wife bought it for me as birthday present last year {about the time this post began} and I've tried it twice. Its been in the garage since. I generally take Mountain House food pouches hiking or 4 wheeling on the side x side..