Rank II

Enthusiast I

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Schroeder
Member #

I know most of us use something like Gaia GPS which allows us to create waypoints on the map of great sites for camping. However, I am looking to make a paper log book as backup that can include maybe more in depth information about each particular site in which we actually end up camping....
With that said, what information would you all think is necessary in a log book like this?

example: Date, State, Season, GPS coordinates, trail difficulty accessing site, extra fuel required.....

please help with other topic ideas!

Thank you!

BYOE (Kellie & Brandon)

Reactions: Ubiety

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Police Bribery Points? LOL! That must be a European thing? Either that or I got lost in translation. Thanks for the overview, Heinz. Things are moving fast and I'm so old school! I'm researching which way to jump. Every little bit helps.

Reactions: BYOE Overland

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
When I create a log I like to put a section for Comments or Notes. So in your case I might put something about the surroundings or environment, e.g. cub bears spotted or good fishing spot or no open area for fire pit, etc.

Reactions: BYOE Overland

BYOE Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Schroeder
Member #

When I create a log I like to put a section for Comments or Notes. So in your case I might put something about the surroundings or environment, e.g. cub bears spotted or good fishing spot or no open area for fire pit, etc.
Good idea. Always good to keep track of where bears are wandering around... cub tracks means there's a protective mama bear somewhere near, too!

Reactions: RoarinRow

BYOE Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Schroeder
Member #

You find bribery spots mentioned in Africa or South America. Some of those apps are from travellers done for travellers, to find useful stuff in a foreign country. Like loundry, gas stations, buying firewood and so on.

They help too at home ;-)
Thanks for the ideas... we'll be traveling the US full-time soon (hopefully we won't have to worry about bribery spots, but who knows...) and noting laundry & nearby gas/grocery/supplies would be good. Just in case you have to turn around for something...like beer/wine.

BYOE Overland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Schroeder
Member #

I guess you know those Apps who are specially designed for that purpose? Here I did review them.

Specially if you want to collect them for yourself - you will find too the right app at the link above.

Personally I love to scout a new place, but sometimes we are too late, and happy to be able to hit a place we did know before.

These Apps are not only used for wildcamping, there are too some remote campsites collectet.

tripping
Thanks for the links. I've dabbled a little with iOverlander, and could use some time to explore some of the other options out there. I was thinking of these "topics" more for a paper logbook (I can be a little old school at times)... or something that can convert to a digital copy as well. Just my wheels turning (and not the ones that belong in the mud).

Reactions: RoarinRow