• HTML tutorial

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Any update on this meetup? I'm pretty new to overlanding and would love to meet some people.
Nothing official yet. If you are interested we do have a very short notice meet and scenic drive coming up this weekend. Starting in Manhattan and heading southward.

Reactions: RainGoat

drburn1718

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Redburn
Just joined OB and read the entire thread. I’m so glad I found the flint hills trail, we’re gonna go check some of it out ASAP! Looks like the meet up never happened so, I didn’t miss that. Let’s keep trying though, I’d be down to meet up

Looney

Rank I

Traveler II

Andover, KS, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Northrop
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Loon
What’s up I’m a Wichita member. We just went on a trip yesterday out to teter rock and a bit on the flint hills overland route. Hop on he wichita Toyota club on facebook we have a few trips that get posted on there.

Reactions: drburn1718

drburn1718

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas, USA
First Name
Darren
Last Name
Redburn
What’s up I’m a Wichita member. We just went on a trip yesterday out to teter rock and a bit on the flint hills overland route. Hop on he wichita Toyota club on facebook we have a few trips that get posted on there.
We decided to make a go at part of it today and had a great time! Thanks to you we stopped at Teter rock for a bit and the kiddos had fun running around. We did Beaumont to Strong city and hit Emporia for lunch, then back home. It was a good way to spend 1/2 a day, which about all the littles will take in the truck. IMG_0430.JPGIMG_0445.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: caswanson

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

New to OB, not new to offroading & overlanding. I've done several trips with @Berserker on here. Most recent was our COBDR trip which you can find on his YT channel. I've kind of strayed away from FB but still active on Instagram and Twitter.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

New to OB, not new to offroading & overlanding. I've done several trips with @Berserker on here. Most recent was our COBDR trip which you can find on his YT channel. I've kind of strayed away from FB but still active on Instagram and Twitter.
What's your Twitter?

I stay completely away from FB. Looked at getting back on since the all the groups seem to think they have to be there instead of having a website or some such - big mistake considering how many hate FB. When I attempted to rejoin FB the hoops they were demanding I jump through were ludicrous. The very first one was an ID verification. They sent me a list of supposedly 5 of my 'friends' and said I had to physically call them, using some sort of FB phone app, give each of them a code and then have them contact FB and give them the code. After that they would give me access to my account. I had no clue who those 5 people were. I was then told if I didn't want to do that I would have to open up a brand new account - so I did. Next thing I know 3 apps were on my phone I did not want AND they accessed my entire contact list and started sending out notifications to those people that I was back on FB. A couple days later I started getting notifications about "people I might know"; that list of people came from my wife's personal contact list AND the business contact list on her home PC!!!

Sorry for the rant... it just cheeses me off and when I see someone thinking about going back to FB, or opening an account, I feel the need to say something.

I would love to start getting together with the groups, especially the Kansas groups, but refuse to join FB just to get info as to when/where they are getting together.

Berserker

Rank 0

Contributor I

What's your Twitter?

I stay completely away from FB. Looked at getting back on since the all the groups seem to think they have to be there instead of having a website or some such - big mistake considering how many hate FB. When I attempted to rejoin FB the hoops they were demanding I jump through were ludicrous. The very first one was an ID verification. They sent me a list of supposedly 5 of my 'friends' and said I had to physically call them, using some sort of FB phone app, give each of them a code and then have them contact FB and give them the code. After that they would give me access to my account. I had no clue who those 5 people were. I was then told if I didn't want to do that I would have to open up a brand new account - so I did. Next thing I know 3 apps were on my phone I did not want AND they accessed my entire contact list and started sending out notifications to those people that I was back on FB. A couple days later I started getting notifications about "people I might know"; that list of people came from my wife's personal contact list AND the business contact list on her home PC!!!

Sorry for the rant... it just cheeses me off and when I see someone thinking about going back to FB, or opening an account, I feel the need to say something.

I would love to start getting together with the groups, especially the Kansas groups, but refuse to join FB just to get info as to when/where they are getting together.
I ditched FB a few years ago and have been happy. I'm in the same boat as you- it's tough to find an active local community outside of FB groups.

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

What's your Twitter?

I stay completely away from FB. Looked at getting back on since the all the groups seem to think they have to be there instead of having a website or some such ....
That's the hardest thing about FB. Seems like messenger is the only way people communicate now and if your event isn't on FB, it's like it doesn't exist. Twitter is @4x4podcast_rich and Instagram is @the4x4podcast_rich

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I ditched FB a few years ago and have been happy. I'm in the same boat as you- it's tough to find an active local community outside of FB groups.
Testify brother!! Social groups are shooting themselves in the foot by not having a web presence other than social media, especially FB. I know of a few other people who are interested but hate FB and the others, but will go to specific websites.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

That's the hardest thing about FB. Seems like messenger is the only way people communicate now and if your event isn't on FB, it's like it doesn't exist. Twitter is @4x4podcast_rich and Instagram is @the4x4podcast_rich
Thanks. And you are spot on about "it's like it doesn't exist". Sometimes I wonder if the organizers only want people into social media to attend. Thanks for the handles; wrote "Twitter" but ment IG. Twitter has become a royal PITA as well. I personally know 3 people who have been banned from Twitter due to political views and 2nd Amendment views; all 3 got banned for "hate speech".

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

Really the only reason I'm keeping my FB is for Marketplace. I can sell stuff faster and usually at a better price than any other platform.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Konza Overland is still crazy active! Tipped 1,000 members earlier this year. It does get more challenging to us FB since I refuse to download the FB app or messenger app, but it was the easy platform to build on. If any Kansas OB'ers create an event and would like it shared to Konza, I'd be happy to pass along the information! I used to host a few runs each year but they got to big, to fast, so I stopped doing that.

We had a nice small OB run through the Flint Hills at the tail end of 2019 which was a great time!

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Konza Overland is still crazy active! Tipped 1,000 members earlier this year. It does get more challenging to us FB since I refuse to download the FB app or messenger app, but it was the easy platform to build on. If any Kansas OB'ers create an event and would like it shared to Konza, I'd be happy to pass along the information! I used to host a few runs each year but they got to big, to fast, so I stopped doing that.

We had a nice small OB run through the Flint Hills at the tail end of 2019 which was a great time!
Was hoping to be able to participate in at least a meet-up this year, but an actual driving event won't happen till I get an overdrive. Right now Grover's top cruising speed is is around 50/55mph, would slow down the more modern rigs. Unfortunately we are experiencing a fuel/carp issue that's being a PITA; put it operates quite well at standard in town speeds.

Have all y'all ever considered putting together a waterfall run? There's a rather nice one, mainly during the rainy season, at Cowely State Fishing lake that would be a good point to put on the itinerary.

20200416_092153.jpg

20170521_121039.jpg

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

Was hoping to be able to participate in at least a meet-up this year, but an actual driving event won't happen till I get an overdrive. Right now Grover's top cruising speed is is around 50/55mph, would slow down the more modern rigs. Unfortunately we are experiencing a fuel/carp issue that's being a PITA; put it operates quite well at standard in town speeds.

Have all y'all ever considered putting together a waterfall run? There's a rather nice one, mainly during the rainy season, at Cowely State Fishing lake that would be a good point to put on the itinerary.

View attachment 150401

View attachment 150404
I think I've identified your problem. I think the carp may be clogging your fuel line. Remove the carp from the line. If it's an Asian carp, it's recommended you not release it back into the water, but instead, you should freeze it and email the Aquatic Species Nuisance Coordinator.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

I think I've identified your problem. I think the carp may be clogging your fuel line. Remove the carp from the line. If it's an Asian carp, it's recommended you not release it back into the water, but instead, you should freeze it and email the Aquatic Species Nuisance Coordinator.
At this point it wouldn't surprise me. I'm running with the old Zenith carb that came with it; wanting to keep it as stock as possible.

Reactions: Rich_the4x4podcast

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF

We should do an old slow vehicle run. I can bring my '66 K20.
1587477980443.png
1587479124713.png
*don't mind the fuel gauge :smirk:

I led a run to Cowley from Beaumont to check out the fall and camp in March of last year. Spectacular fall! I was disheartened by the busted glass everywhere. The next day we checked out the Orzo Fall crossing and then headed up to Teter Rock. It was interesting that we started the run with nearly 15 vehicle and ended up with only 2 by the time we reached Teter.

With the current state lock down, I am concerned that our cherished fishing lakes are going to be more heavily used by more folks who will leave trash behind. I think it would be a tremendous community service if Kansas Overlanders could team up and meet at the state lakes we all enjoy to clean them up. Not sure how to tackle a project like that or what kind of turn out there would be.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

We should do an old slow vehicle run. I can bring my '66 K20.
View attachment 150506
View attachment 150507
*don't mind the fuel gauge :smirk:

I led a run to Cowley from Beaumont to check out the fall and camp in March of last year. Spectacular fall! I was disheartened by the busted glass everywhere. The next day we checked out the Orzo Fall crossing and then headed up to Teter Rock. It was interesting that we started the run with nearly 15 vehicle and ended up with only 2 by the time we reached Teter.

With the current state lock down, I am concerned that our cherished fishing lakes are going to be more heavily used by more folks who will leave trash behind. I think it would be a tremendous community service if Kansas Overlanders could team up and meet at the state lakes we all enjoy to clean them up. Not sure how to tackle a project like that or what kind of turn out there would be.
THAT would be awesome! Have you ever looked into the Relic Run in Utah? Unfortunately they no longer have a website I'm aware of, but I'll attach the link I have through the Explore Utah site. I know they planned one for 2019, just not sure if it panned out.

Really have given the thought to creating a similar group here in Kansas, but if you attempt to use their name in anyway, or any part of their group, the will sue your pants off!! The name 'Rust Bucket Rally' came to mind, but it's taken. Then these came to mind: KAMO (Kansas Antique Motor Overlanding); Kansas Classic Camping; Kansas Jalopy Run (or Jaunt) as well as Kansas Decrepit Car Crawl.

Here's that link...

As to all the trash... we were told by one of tge State employees at Cowely that when that section was privately owned it was a major party spot for teenagers. Before it became open to the public it was much much worse.

Reactions: KonzaLander